• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best spec? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was wondering what the preferred spec for bins amongst BF'ers is... I know there are some who have a different set for different types of viewing, but what if you had to do it all with one pair, what would you want? (I'm not wanting to know which specific binocular you want, just what spec).

I'll kick off with my opinion. Firstly I like lower powered bins, I've never owned a pair of 10x bins but can never get on with them when testing. I have owned both porro and roof prism bins and prefer roofs. I like the more compact design and the potential for closer focusing.

So for me it comes down to three choices 8x42, 7x42 or 8x32 roofs. I have owned all three specs so have had the chance to compare them in real world situations. For me 7x42s beat 8x42s hands down, the wider FOV, better DOF (hardly used the focus on them), and brighter image.

7x42s vs 8x32s is a far tougher choice - I like the closer focus and the compact design of 8x32s... but the DOF and low light performance is better in 7x42s. Overall though I'd say that 8x32 roofs win out for me (very closely followed by 7x42 roofs).

Hi Postcardcv, Owning quite a few high end bins, I have been asked numerous times what I would keep if some (disastrous?!) circumstance forced me to dispose of all but one pair. The answer has always been the same, keep the 8x32's!
Regards, John

I was always a 10x42 man until I got a pair of 8X32. If I was buying a new pair now it would be a pair of 8x42 to compliment the others, and 8x is now my favourite mag but which overall spec...I dont own one (yet) but I'm thinking it would be 8x42.

I have only ever used 10x50 or 10x42 for years, until I my wife bought herself a pair of 8x. Now I find myself borrowing these when she is not using them . Next time it's 8x32 or 8x42 for me.

Hi Pete,

I used to own a pair of 10x and really struggled with them. For the last 3-4 years I have used Nikon 8*32 SEs and am very pleased with them.

We recently tried to by a pair of similar spec BINs for Mrs Ruby (budget maybe £200 or so) but couldn't find anything that came nr the optical quality or FOV of the Nikons - I think we'll probably end up shelling out for a second pair!

Ruby

I used to own a pair of 10x and really struggled with them. For the last 3-4 years I have used Nikon 8*32 SEs and am very pleased with them.

We recently tried to by a pair of similar spec BINs for Mrs Ruby (budget maybe £200 or so) but couldn't find anything that came nr the optical quality or FOV of the Nikons - I think we'll probably end up shelling out for a second pair!

Have a look at the Nikon 8x32 EIIs, they come very close to the SEs but cost ~£249. In terms of image quality they must be the best value of any binocular.

Have a look at the Nikon 8x32 EIIs, they come very close to the SEs but cost ~£249. In terms of image quality they must be the best value of any binocular.

I think they've been discontinued, but maybe some still available. They were a lot cheaper than that in the US at under $300 or about 60% of the cost you mention in the UK.
http://www.thebestthings.com/binoculars/etwo830.htm

As you say a very good deal at either price with a much larger FOV than the SE.

Thanks Pete - I'll have a look at those....

We're off to Portugal in August and just may find ourselves doing a bit of birding, so I need to get something sorted out by then....

For about 12 years or so I used the old Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovid. Then I switched for a while to the Nikon 8 x 30 EII and then to the Nikon 8 x 32 LXL. Then Leica discontinued their 7 x 42 BN Trinovids and I got a new one at a great price so I have returned to the 7 x 42 as my favorite "spec" binocular. I much prefer their ease of use, large exit pupil, great depth of field and brightness in less than great lighting conditions.
Cordially,
Bob

By the way, the Nikon 8 x 30 (not 32) EII is a great binocular and it has a very wide FOV which I liked alot (so I'm not discouraging you from buying them, if you can find them) but I found that I could find my bird target much faster with the Leica's. I think I instinctively point them more accurately at the object to be viewed.:t:

Last edited:
By the way, the Nikon 8 x 30 (not 32) EII is a great binocular and it has a very wide FOV which I liked alot (so I'm not discouraging you from buying them, if you can find them) but I found that I could find my bird target much faster with the Leica's. I think I instinctively point them more accurately at the object to be viewed.:t:

doh! I should have known that has I have a pair of 8x30 Es... I was testing them this afternoon and they stand up well optically against high end roofs. I'd not realised that the EIIs had be discontinued, I'm sure you could still find a pair, I've certainly seen them for sale this week.

Used to use 10x50s when I started 30yrs ago but can't hold 10x still enough for long enough nowadays.

Replaced 10x40 Optolyth Alpins which I'd loved for 20 yrs recently (So light and good optically but returned several times for recolimation and drying out - plus dropped onto tarmac and bent out of line by 20 degrees - returned fine!)

Only sensible upgrade seemed to be well known 8.5x42. to go with mid range scope.

But if I'd been starting from scratch I'd spend less on bins getting smaller objective and lighter body and go for top end scope.

In my experience it all comes down to how you want to use your bins.

Optically the best value seem to be 10x50 porros but the weight and shallow depth of field is too much for me. If however your birding consists of walking from one hide to another these could be ideal and save a fortune.

At the other end anything with an objective of less than 30mm should be relabelled as toys!

8x42mm are usually perceived as being serious bins. With many manufacturers these offer the brightest image, greatest depth of view and highest resolution available. Unless you're prepared to pay for the 8x32mm binoculars available from the top manufacturers 8x42mm is the ideal spec for a mix of stationary and mobile birding. However if you're rarely stationary for very long the current crop of 8x32mm available from Swarovkii, Leica, Zeiss and Nikon are so good for me they offer the ideal compomise between performance and weight.

As for porro's vs roof's - its roof prisms for me. With porro's when lifting them up to view a flying bird there's always a split second whilst your eye/brain adjusts to the enhanced 3d effect. With roof's the bird is there.

I recently bought myself a pair of top end bins. I tried 10x42 Trinovids, 8x32 Trinovids and 10x42 SLC's. Optically I couldn't really tell them apart but the SLC's 'fitted' better so I plumped for them.

At the other end anything with an objective of less than 30mm should be relabelled as toys!

That seems a little extreme... I wouldn't want to use compacts as my main bins, but they make excellent emergency bins. Some of the top end compacts are truely outstanding, I have the 8x20 Ultravids and they are as good optically as any other bins I've used. Even some of the mid-price (~£100) compacts such as Opticron Taigas and Nikon Travelites are very good.

Very good advice Pete - we are now the proud owner of a pair of EIIs....

That seems a little extreme... I wouldn't want to use compacts as my main bins, but they make excellent emergency bins. ........

Ok, I was being a bit harsh but I've been stuggling with a pair of Travelites for the past week whilst the 8x32's are in for repair. I really want to like the 8x25mm but their performance in anything but really good light is just not enough. If I'd known or even been told how their performance drops away when the light deteriorates I doubt I'd have bought them. In general Nikon make excellent binoculars the only problem with the Travelites is the inherent limitations of the 8x25 specification. I suspect the 8x40 Nikon Actions currently available for less than £50 would have made a better back-up pair.

In general Nikon make excellent binoculars the only problem with the Travelites is the inherent limitations of the 8x25 specification. I suspect the 8x40 Nikon Actions currently available for less than £50 would have made a better back-up pair.

You're quite right compacts will not perform so well in poor light, also the small exit pupil makes them (for me) uncomfortable to use for long periods. I agree that the Actions would be a better back up pair of bins, if you can get them for under £50 they are a bargain. That said I do love my 8x20s as they are small enough to go with me when not birding so I never get caught without bins!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back