• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Methods of setting dioptic settings? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Buy any pair of binoculars these days and the method stated in the owners manual for setting the dioptic setting seems to be universal, how many here have followed the instructions of ''close left eye, focus with right eye ..now close right eye and turn dioptic setting into correct focus through your left eye'' (or something similar) and came up with somewhat less than desirable results?

Personally, I've always just fiddled around with the dioptic ring/wheel while focusing on an object with both eyes to get the best results, I'm sure some members have discovered some quite intriguing, if not ingenious methods for setting up their binoculars according to their own vision?

How do you set yours?

Matt

Buy any pair of binoculars these days and the method stated in the owners manual for setting the dioptic setting seems to be universal, how many here have followed the instructions of ''close left eye, focus with right eye ..now close right eye and turn dioptic setting into correct focus through your left eye'' (or something similar) and came up with somewhat less than desirable results?

How do you set yours?

Matt

Matt,

I chose a target about eight metres, away, I close the right eye, focus with the centre wheel, using the left eye, then I shut my left eye and focus with the right eye using the dioptre wheel.
I believe that only Steiner binoculars have the dioptre setting on the left side.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I've always used the accepted method except that, instead of closing each eye consecutively, I put the objective lens cap on the 'redundant' side. I can then keep both eyes open and I find it easier to focus when I swop eyes.

Ron

I use both eyes. I tend to set it looking at a medium far distance. Diopter setting not so crucial close up.

I'm a believer in blocking the objective rather than closing an eye. I've seen explanations where closing the eye causes a type of distortion in the open eye due to pressure or whatever. Bottom line , I'm happier with my diopter settings by choosing an object 50-100 m away and then covering the respective objectives to focus the bins.

Usually the right barrel is adjusted by the diopter setting, but in the case of the Model 828 Swift HHS Audubon the LEFT barrel is changed. Beware.

I agree with those who use a target at 30+ ft. and cover the objective rather than close an eye. Reason: squinting changes the eye's pupil diameter, and that will influence focus.

I just don't need to cover or close anything, I can focus with one side or the other while both eyes are open.

Queue me up like Matt_RTH in the column which favors moderate distances and the use of lens covers with both eyes open. I've found this to be the more accurate and reliable method.

--Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back