• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mai Po Nature Reserve, Hong Kong (2 Viewers)

Following the passage of Typhoon Utor this morning, I was hoping to find some unusual birds today. The storm had blown some terns onto the ponds just outside the reserve, which surprisingly turned out to be Common Terns. In HK, Common tends to occur mostly at sea and is unusual inshore, and this is the first time I've seen a flock feeding over the fishponds. This gave the chance for some really good views (sorry, no camera with me...). There were birds showing characteristics of both longipennis (black bills, very dark underparts) and minussensis/tibetana (mostly red bills, slightly paler underparts). Does anyone know how to separate minussensis/tibetana? - I'm not sure myself. As well as 22 Common Terns there was also a first-summer Whsikered Tern in the flock.

The reserve itself was quieter, but the shorebirds had come in for the high tide. These included my first Grey Plovers and Long-toed Stint of the autumn. The last few days have also had returning Pacific Golden Plover and Pintail/Swinhoe's Snipe. No passerine migrants yet, but they should start arriving fairly soon.

Landbird migration has started this week. The first migrant passerine on the reserve was a female Stonechat on Tuesday - by 5 days the earliest record of this species in HK. This was followed on Wednesday by the first Eastern Yellow Wagtails, a Chestnut-winged Cuckoo and 5 Oriental Turtle Doves. There should be more to come, but i'm away for the next two weeks so I hope the best birds don't arrive until I'm back!

I realise that I haven't posted anything about the big news from this summer (although I did hint towards it in early July). We've been keeping it a bit quiet to minimise disturbance, and surprisingly the news hasn't really leaked out.
So, this big news is the nesting of Purple Herons on the reserve. This is the first time this species has been confirmed nesting in HK (although it has been suspected previously). There are three chicks and they should be flying any time now. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the oldest has already managed to get airbourne.

In addition to the breeding heron pair, there have been at least four other birds hanging around all summer (one adult, three first-summer), so fingers crossed they will try again next year...

The Purple Herons are a terrific addition to the breeding birds of Hong Kong

Don't worry John - we'll find loads of birds elsewhere instead. Have a good trip.

Cheers
Mike

After two weeks in the UK, I've come back to find that I missed a good week for migrants last week. with reports of Forest Wagtail, Asian & Japanese Paradise Flycatchers, Arctic Warbler, Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, Daurian Starling, Manchurian Reed Warbler and Thick-billed Warbler. Perhaps the most spectacular was from reedbed ringing site, where there were no less than 75 Pallas's Grasshopper Warblers trapped in 2 sessions during the week (!)

This was apparently associated with a rain band that has now passed and migration seems to have slowed again. I haven't seen many migrants in the last couple of days, but I had high hopes for another ringing session yesterday. We managed another 14 Pallas's, plus other highlights including a Styan's Grasshopper Warbler, Asian Barred Owlet, Yellow Bittern and Yellow-rumped Flycatcher (#231). The flycatcher was the first new species for the year since July, but there should be more to come in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile the Purple Herons have fledged and disappeared. I have heard of them being seen away from the nest, but there has been no sign when I have stopped to look for them. Of course, they could have moved further away by now.

Following last week's migrants, I was hoping for more this week but initially it seemed that migration had slowed again slightly. A smart, almost black and white, male Japanese Paradise Flycatcher (#232) on Monday was the best bird I managed to catch up with for the first few days of the week.

A blast of northerly winds over the next few days brought more promise than birds, but there were a few visible migrants around the reserve on Thursday, including Black-naped Orioles (#233) (I saw 3, but there were up to 4 or 5), Black-winged Kite (#234), Eurasian Hobby, Brown Shrike, Arctic Warbler, Wryneck and, just as I was leaving the reserve for the evening, great views of an Oriental Dollarbird (#235).

I was back again on Saturday, but everything was again hot and quiet, highlights being Black-winged Cuckooshrike (#236), Stejneger's Stonechat and another Black-naped Oriole.

Highlight of the week for me, though wasn't a bird at all. On Tuesday we were checking water levels and noticed a snake in one of the gei wai (shrimp ponds). Close inspection showed it to be a Mangrove Water Snake, a species with fairly restricted range, found only in a few mangrove stands in south China. Although we know it is present at Mai Po, sightings are rare, especially of live individuals, and this was the first one I have seen. It had just caught a small fish and obligingly came just out of the water to swallow it before sliding back in and disappearing into the depths. Unfortunately I don't have any worthwhile photos (I left that to my colleagues with better photography skills, who did manage to get a couple).

Severe Typhoon Usagi is currently barrelling towards Hong Kong and is due to make landfall here overnight. If it is as powerful as the predictions say, we may have a couple of busy days clearing up afterwards - but I won't know how much until I manage to make it back to the reserve tomorrow.

Well, the typhoon turned out not to be as bad as expected. We did get some tree damage on the reserve but the biggest problem was on the floating hides, which washed onto the support posts, smashing through the floorboards. It's mostly fixed now, but we need to refloat the hides back into position on the next high tides.
The storm did bring in some birds - in fact Monday was the best day I've had on the reserve yet this autumn. Highlights for me were the terns which had presumably been blown in with the winds - pick of the bunch was a flyover Greater Crested Tern (#238), but there was also a flyover Common Tern, 21 Gull-billed (a very high count for autumn) and a Little Tern. Among the supporting cast were Ashy Minivet, Japanese Quail, several harriers (both Eastern Marsh and Pied), the first Red-throated Pipit and Common Kestrel (#239) of the autumn, 174 Garganey and good numbers of Black Drongos. In all I thought I'd had a really good day until I discovered someone had posted pictures of a flock of 4-5 Long-tailed Skuas heading over the reserve. I would have loved to see those!

The storm was followed by some calmer weather that seems to have stalled migration a bit again. Highlights have been a Ruff, Asian Paradise Flycatcher (#240) and Dark-sided Flycatcher (#241). Today seemed a bit birdier but I didn't manage to track down anything of major interest aside from a Black-winged Cuckooshrike and the first Yellow-browed Warbler of the autumn.

(PS you may have noticed some jumps in numbering - I forgot to mention the first Lanceolated Warblers (#237) trapped last week and a Hair-crested Drongo (#230), way back in July!)

OK, so it's been a while since I posted an update on here. I must try harder. Because it covers a couple of weeks in migration time, there have been a few updates to the year list as well as plenty of other birds. I'll try to provide a summary. (Note that the numbers given for the year list refer to the order the species was added, so may seem out of order).

There has been lenty of migration going on. Visible migrants regularly passing over the reserve include Black Drongos, Blue-tailed Bee-eaters, Red-throated Pipits and Zitting Cisticolas. Among the less common flyover species have been Yellow-breasted Buntings (#243) and Eurasian Skylark (#247). There have also been quite a few raptors, especially Eastern Marsh and Pied Harriers. I've missed a couple of Eurasian Sparrowhawks that others have seen. I've been expecting Amur Falcon any day now, but no luck so far - but I did see my first Eastern Buzzard of the autumn this morning.

I haven't managed to get out for any of the decent tides recently, but despite that have picked up a couple of non-tidal waders, including two Grey-headed Lapwings and a Eurasian Woodcock (#249) on Friday. The latter is actually a pretty good record - they're regular in HK but not seen that often on the reserve at Mai Po. Among other waterbirds, the number of ducks has increased including around 200 Garganey, similar numbers of Eurasian Teal and the first Northern Pintails. Cormorants are also very apparent on the reserve now, and a count of five Black-faced Spoonbills a few days ago suggests they are starting to return (although up to 4 have been present al summer)

October is our best month for ringing in the reedbed, at least in terms of the number of birds. It hasn't really kicked off in terms of numbers yet, but there have been some decent birds. Good numbers of Pallas's Grasshopper Warblers Oriental Reed Warblers and Black-browed Reed Warblers, moderate numbers of Lanceolated Warblers (up to 5-6 in a morning) and the first Siberian Rubythroats. Mixed in with these have been some quality birds - we have now trapped five Thick-billed Warblers (#242) for the autumn, a couple of Manchurian Reed Warblers, and a Baikal Bush Warbler (#244); on the adjacent bund we have trapped both Pale-legged and Sakhalin Leaf Warblers (#248), a couple of Asian Brown Flycatchers and, most surprising, a lovely female Grey Bushchat (#246). There has also been a Lesser Coucal (#245) hanging around the reedbeds, another unusual species for the reserve.

So that takes me to 249 species for the year. Or at least it did, until I organised an extra ringing session this morning. I was hoping to get something a bit different, and sure enough we did - a Black-naped Monarch (#250). After creeping gradually closer all week, it's a relief to finally reach 250, but I'm still conscious that it's a long way to reach the target of 275 that Mike set me at the start of the year. I think it's still possible, but I'm really hoping for a good push of migrants this week.

I'm still conscious that it's a long way to reach the target of 275 that Mike set me at the start of the year. I think it's still possible, but I'm really hoping for a good push of migrants this week.

Guess the 300 I suggested would mean three months of non-stop crawling around in the reeds and endless nights trying to pick up weird overhead calls :-O

It's been a good read throughout the year, gives a good picture of Mai Po to those of us who have yet to visit, keep it up...

Good to hear you're grinding away at the target . . . if that list of high quality birds could be called a grind!

With the way the migrant are coming through at present - and the randomness of November still to come - I still think 275 is well on the cards . . .

Cheers
Mike

Jon, if you are thinking about coming and want more info about permits and about where to go, let me know.

I had a bit of a surprise sighting on Tuesday - Oriental Skylark (#251). I say it was a surprise because I've been a bit uncertain about the status of this species in recent years. It used to be considered regular in HK, but it was later discovered that Eurasian Skylark is regular, and now there are very few confirmed reports of Oriental. In fact, a couple of years ago I did a personal review of my sightings and concluded that I couldn't be sure I had seen Oriental, and took it off my list.
But the bird on Tuesday ticked all the boxes - small, rufous, no white trailing edge to the wing, different call - so I'm happy to tick it off again.

Among other migrants, I had a couple of Swinhoe's Minivets this week, but they were being really awkward and didn't show well at all. Also a couple of Japanese Sparrowhawks the last couple of days.

And the Black-faced Spoonbills are starting to come back to the reserve - there were 38 on the mudflats this morning, no doubt more to come in the coming few days.

I had an overall frustrating day yesterday. I did manage two year ticks - Eurasian Sparrowhawk (#252) and Amur Falcon (#253) - but both were little more than specks high overhead. I have heard later that I missed yet another Watercock. I tried for shorebirds on the falling tide, but these didn't return until the tideline was far out from the hides, and views were very poor, so no chance of the Long-billed Dowitcher that has been around.

But to top it all off, it seems that there may have been a Western Marsh Harrier around, a potential first for HK. To add insult to injury, this bird was seen while I was a few metres away watching a harrier and concentrating on ruling out Pied Harrier. Was it the same bird or not? Some features seemed to match the description I have heard, but at the moment I don't know!

Jon, if you are thinking about coming and want more info about permits and about where to go, let me know.

I had a bit of a surprise sighting on Tuesday - Oriental Skylark (#251). I say it was a surprise because I've been a bit uncertain about the status of this species in recent years. It used to be considered regular in HK, but it was later discovered that Eurasian Skylark is regular, and now there are very few confirmed reports of Oriental. In fact, a couple of years ago I did a personal review of my sightings and concluded that I couldn't be sure I had seen Oriental, and took it off my list.
But the bird on Tuesday ticked all the boxes - small, rufous, no white trailing edge to the wing, different call - so I'm happy to tick it off again.

Among other migrants, I had a couple of Swinhoe's Minivets this week, but they were being really awkward and didn't show well at all. Also a couple of Japanese Sparrowhawks the last couple of days.

And the Black-faced Spoonbills are starting to come back to the reserve - there were 38 on the mudflats this morning, no doubt more to come in the coming few days.

Glad the Spoonbills are returning. I'll catch up with them next week.
Neil

A bit of a change on the reserve this week, with a noticeable change to cooler weather. The birds have responded, with the return of some wintering or late autumn migrants including Greater Spotted Eagle, Daurian Redstarts, Olive-backed Pipits and Rufous-tailed Robin (#254).

And with a flock of Bean Geese seen heading towards the reserve today, that's definitely something to look out for!

The autumn seems to have turned in Hong Kong with a notable influx of winter birds. There has been a notable increase in Siberian Rubythroats, Chinese Penduline Tits and Daurian Redstarts (which are now scattered all over the reserve). Wintering waterbirds are also on the increase, with good numbers of ducks and spoonbills now present.
By way of additions for the year list, I had a flock of flyby Chestnut Buntings (#255) about 10 days ago. A morning trapping at the reedbed on Wednesday was surprisingly quiet but did turn up a Radde's Warbler (#256), plus flyover Northern Lapwing (#257) and Buff-bellied Pipit (#258). I initially missed the latter because my brain failed to work out the call - until Paul Leader mentioned to me a few minutes later that he'd also had a flyover, and everything fell into place.

Today has been one of our big fundraising events on the reserve, with large numbers of visitors. I was on duty to talk about migration, but wasn't expecting much by way of interesting birds. I was in for a surprise though - while walking between points I noticed a duck with pale wings drop into the pond only 20m or so away, which turned out to be a very unexpected Ferruginous Duck (#259). It stayed barely a minute before flying off again - a real bonus.

Viator, in answer to your question, the Bean Geese are Tundra serrirostris. They have still not been seen on the reserve but are apparently still in another part of Deep Bay without public access, so there is still hope!

The Ferruginous Duck on Saturday indicated the start of a slight influx of ducks onto the reserve - a sure sign that winter is on the way, and the cause of an influx of photographers as well. A female Gadwall was present on Wednesday. The Ferruginous was seen again on Thursday, along with a Greater Scaup (missed by me), a pair of Common Pochards and four Mallards. The Pochards had increased to three on Friday along with the first two Eurasian Coots of the winter.

There have been a few wintering landbirds as well. I missed an Asian Stubtail, but there have been other interesting species, with a notable increase in Chinese Penduline Tits and Daurian Redstarts, the first Japanese Bush Warblers, a few Chestnut-eared Buntings and a late Amur Falcon. A surprisingly late Manchurian Reed Warbler trapped in the reedbed was a recapture of a bird first ringed back in 2008. A fulvescens-morph Greater Spotted Eagle has also turned up. One of the more surprising sights of the week was an Oriental Pratincole flying over in the midst of a flock of Asian House Martins (#260).

I wasn't working today, but thought I would go onto the reserve for some birding, knowing that the tide was good. This turned out to be a good move. On the mudflats were very large numbers of Dunlin, a few Saunders's Gulls, surpring numbers of Red Knot and a Kamchatka Gull (very unusual in autumn). On the reserve were an Eyebrowed Thrush, a Japanese Thrush and at least four Grey-backed Thrushes. Plus, continuing the duck theme from the week, a female Falcated Duck (#261) was a relief after drawing a blank for the species last winter.

A great day of ringing last Tuesday. There were huge numbers of Chinese Penduline Tits around the reedbed, estimated at least 200 birds present (a record count for HK), including 91 trapped. Other birds trapped included both Japanese and Manchurian Bush Warblers (#262), Brown Bush Warbler (#263), Bluethroat, Red-throated Flycatcher, 2 Daurian Redstarts, Chestnut-eared Bunting and 3 Little Buntings. A total of 43 Eurasian Blackbirds flew past over the morning as a whole, plus 2 Eastern Water Rails seen in the reedbed, a flyover Northern Lapwing and 4 flyover Buff-bellied Pipits. Thursday was not quite as productive but was still a good day. A possible Yellow-streaked Warbler trapped added to the excitement, but later checks concluded that it was actually a small-billed Radde's Warbler.

Daurian Redstarts have still been very much in evidence recently - a count of 14 birds on Tuesday is very good for the reserve. We've had a couple of small flocks of Chestnut Bulbuls passing through as well.

But it's realy still the ducks that are drawing the crowds this winter, putting on a good show. A colleague counted 10 Common Pochards on Friday (the highest in HK for a few years) and I had 10 Gadwall on the same day. And then, while I was on duty on Saturday, I got a message about a male Baikal Teal (#264) - I was busy at the time but fortunately the bird was still visible a couple of hours later when I finally got round to the site.

It all sounds lovely. I'm still hoping to steal a morning when I drop in for 2 nights in mid Feb and look around Mai Po. Will be in touch nearer the time to see what's best to do!

Ringing on Tuesday included a nice White's Thrush (#265) but was otherwise relatively quiet.

On Wednesday I found a cormorant trapped in a tree, the result of a fish hook & fishing line trapped in the leg. Sadly, this is not uncommon in HK, and with cormorants is often not noticed until the dead bird is seen hanging in the roost. Luckily for this bird we were able to reach it in time and cut it free. It has now gone to Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden (KFBG) Wildlife Rehab Centre, where hopefully it will be able to make a recovery.

And it seems that karma was on my side - as I was outside the office on the phone to KFBG arranging delivery of the cormorant, I noticed a raptor soaring past. As it turned it revealed the characteristic wing shape of a White-bellied Sea Eagle (#266). Another new species for the year, pushing me still closer to the target...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back