• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabela's "Alpha" Binoculars (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I do not know if this has been discussed yet on here as I have not been on much of late but I just noticed that it appears Cabelas has again expanded their store brand series of binoculars with a new "Alpha" binocular. It seems to only be available in the 10x42 configuration so popular with hunters and is of the "open bridge" design. At the $350 price point it probably isn't going to turn alot of people's heads on here but it sparked my interest because it seems similar to one of those Bushnell mid-priced models I recently saw. I did not see it available at the local retail outlet but I did notice it on their website.

10x42 configuration
340 ft. field of view at 1000 yards
6.3 inch height
27.5 ounce weight

Picture below....

Attachments

• alpha.bmp
    423.1 KB · Views: 165
Sure. The straps go on the sides, nice, it will hang flat on the chest. Wonder if the open hinge will last OK. There is some looseness sometimes.

Shame that it's not the only thing Cabela's are expanding! They are currently building a retail superstore all over Connecticut's most important site for breeding grassland bird species!

Good lord, is it too late to stop them?

Too bad you can't find any indigenous burials on the site. That usually stops a project cold in Hawaii, sending it to the courts for a decade or so.

Hi bkrownd,

I wish! The problem is it's private property so there is little anyone can do - the states just looking the other way and has promised an attempt to mitigate the damage by putting some grassland somewhere else. There is obviously a reason why this site is one of New England's best sites for grassland species and I'm betting that it won't be replicated at the mitigated site. Kind of depressing.

Luke.

Good lord, is it too late to stop them?

Too bad you can't find any indigenous burials on the site. That usually stops a project cold in Hawaii, sending it to the courts for a decade or so.

In Connecticut Cabela's customers and neighbors will almost certainly include a much larger fraction of conservation-minded people than in their home base on the Plains. (Though the situation is changing a bit in Nebraska, as well) Most people going in the door don't know a sparrow from a thrush, but wouldn't necessarily have prevented them feeling the sting of some bad publicity...

Private property won't stop the burials council from taking you to court for years in Hawai'i. There's the archeological survey and EIS that has to be done, etc. Not necessarily a fan of the whole thing, but just saying....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back