• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Scope (1 Viewer)

Have a look at Opticron MM3 super lightweight scope. The image is stunning and coupled with the weight savings makes for a very portable unit indeed.

That said, if you are not a glasses wearer and want a full.sized scope, the Nikon ed lll field scope.you linked is a winner.

Last edited:
It sort of comes down to the power. If you get a nice big image at 20-30x (50-150 ft),
any of those would do. Coming up on 40x or 60x, the demand for aperture size and low dispersion
becomes intense, so you would rapidly swing towards the ED and bigger lens.

I was watching a blue heron across the river a few weeks ago, and it filled most of the view
at 30x. It was an f/8.5 scope, so no resolution trouble at all, but it was 120ft away and not bothered by me.

So....what I'm suggesting is, consider your distances, follow the targets with binoculars or something
and imagine 3 times the power or 6 times the power of that. The Opticron MM-3 is small-aperture
but extremely high quality view. That could take care of you forever, if you travel some and aren't
looking across huge distances. I can get away with a longer scope and save because it's just me
tossing scope and tripod in the back seat for short drives.

And don't forget: you need a very good tripod! The shaking affects your resolution....and happiness.

It sort of comes down to the power. If you get a nice big image at 20-30x (50-150 ft),
any of those would do. Coming up on 40x or 60x, the demand for aperture size and low dispersion
becomes intense, so you would rapidly swing towards the ED and bigger lens.

I was watching a blue heron across the river a few weeks ago, and it filled most of the view
at 30x. It was an f/8.5 scope, so no resolution trouble at all, but it was 120ft away and not bothered by me.

So....what I'm suggesting is, consider your distances, follow the targets with binoculars or something
and imagine 3 times the power or 6 times the power of that. The Opticron MM-3 is small-aperture
but extremely high quality view. That could take care of you forever, if you travel some and aren't
looking across huge distances. I can get away with a longer scope and save because it's just me
tossing scope and tripod in the back seat for short drives.

And don't forget: you need a very good tripod! The shaking affects your resolution....and happiness.

Thank you both for the valuable Input.
Yes I m looking for a long range and now I m having one Kenko PRO field 8x40 binocular which is not fitting to my requirement. Around 2~3 Km range..

And I almost decided to go for Opticron MM-3 but finally I decided to go for VANGUARD Endeavor HD 82A. Kindly let me know your suggestion about the below one.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00CXHLLKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are looking for detail at 2-3km, it won't happen most days.
The atmosphere over the distance will add haze and some defocusing.

Aha....the Vanguard is in your budget as well. I underestimated your budget.
It would extend the range a bit over the MM3, though people looking for minute details
of a small target like a bird need to stay close (20-150 m) for the atmosphere to be super.
That plus the portability drives the popularity of the MM3. The Vanguard might stretch you
to an ideal distance of 30-300 m.

Very big aperture folded reflectors are used often at 1-10km,
(150mm---200mm), because their aperture helps with thermal cells (wiggling image)
and their reduced contrast isn't noticed next to even a little atmospheric haze.
They are very heavy though.

Long distances are helped a lot when you are well above ground or looking at a decent angle
through the atmosphere. Looking down from a tall building, looking up at an eagle, being
on a low mountain, being 10-20 ft up off the beach, etc. Really good distance images are challenging.
I use an 80mm astro at 70x for eagles, ospreys, kites, and airplane watching. Looking at birds at an almost horizontal
aim over 300m is usually a very wiggly experience. It's the temperature and humidity mixing
around the ground and trees, and you're looking sideways through it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back