• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digscoping with micro four third and a question on the TLS APO (swarovski) (1 Viewer)

Alain75

So I just bought a panasonic G6 with the 100 300 zoom with it (was a good deal), and also have a swarovski 80hd with the 25-50 eye piece (with which I digiscope a bit with a compact camera), but wouldn't mind a bit more reach with the G6.

So was wondering about looking for a TLS APO (sts/ats version) as a more easier/direct digiscoping solution with the G6.

From what I understand, micro four thirds are very well adapted to digiscoping with the TLS APO, the case ?

Also, is the TLS APO STS/ATS version different from the STX/ATX one only regarding the rings/adaptators that are put on the scope (and the lense put on the camera the same), or are both of them different ?

This regarding maybe upgrading to an stx in the future, and for potential resale aspects...

(although from what I understand, swarovski doesn't sell the TLS APO lens, and the scope adapting pieces separately anyway ..)

Last edited:
I tried a TLS APO with my Swarovski ATM 80HD, but it turned out not to be possible to zoom with the TLS APO on the scope, because one cannot reach the eyepiece (The STX/ATX version has another zoom mechanism). So I sent it back. If you have no problem with a fixed magnification, it will not be a problem.

I tried a TLS APO with my Swarovski ATM 80HD, but it turned out not to be possible to zoom with the TLS APO on the scope, because one cannot reach the eyepiece (The STX/ATX version has another zoom mechanism). So I sent it back. If you have no problem with a fixed magnification, it will not be a problem.

Thanks for the info, but it is shown to be possible below (at 3:55) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ors1XHJWAyI
Even if clearly less practical than with an STX/ATX, in fact it doesn't reallly work this way ?

I did not try that, but it doesn't seem to be practical to rotate your hole camera to zoom and back again afterwards. I think you cannot hold a good view of the bird while doing it when looking through the vieuwer. I have a 45° scope, maybe it's less of a problem with a straight through.

I think I will first try a 20mm f1.7 panasonic with my current adapter (DCB-A) and the G6, and see how it goes ...
For info, I asked Tara Tanaka (https://www.flickr.com/photos/focused-on-birds/ ), why she was not using the TLS APO and she told me it results in a too high minimal focal length for her(1500 minimum), so she uses the digidapter and 20mm with the GH4, resulting in a minimum focal length of 1000mm.

Oh and the lens part of the TLS APO is indeed the same in the two versions, only the rings put on the scopes are different.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back