• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron F-ED Pics (1 Viewer)

The detail level and sharpness is just amazing on these pictures! I have seldom seen this good, the scope must really be top notch. Do you use the standard included zoom? And what camera do you use?

Yep it is the standard 20x60 eyepiece and always at 20x I never have used the zoom and the camera I am using as of late (the blue tit and coal tit pictures are taken with this camera) is the Panasonic DMC LS60 quite hard to get a hold of now but there are usually some around ebay its a cracker but no manual if that is what you are after

Great thread guys.

Buying one of these scopes later this month myself.
Query concerning the optics earlier.
Ultima has multi coated optics, the Rigel F ED has an airspaced doublet with "fluro". Coming into birding from Astronomy the doublet refractors knock the socks off achromats. No false fringing with ED scopes. Well appreciated when viewing Gulls etc.

Cheapest I've found on the net is £475. Can I mention the dealer here ???
Plus any astro e/p will fit on these scopes.

TheBirdGarden, your shots are amazing ! is this e/p projection or prime focus ? Either way, top class.

Cheers Eddie H

Great thread guys.

Buying one of these scopes later this month myself.
Query concerning the optics earlier.
Ultima has multi coated optics, the Rigel F ED has an airspaced doublet with "fluro". Coming into birding from Astronomy the doublet refractors knock the socks off achromats. No false fringing with ED scopes. Well appreciated when viewing Gulls etc.

Cheapest I've found on the net is £475. Can I mention the dealer here ???
Plus any astro e/p will fit on these scopes.

TheBirdGarden, your shots are amazing ! is this e/p projection or prime focus ? Either way, top class.

Cheers Eddie H

Thanks Eddie and another thanks for the compliments on the photos :t:

err I'm not too sure if you can post the link, if it is not eBay I think it is okay but if anyone requests it I'm sure that will be fine

Lol could you say that again in stupid terms I really don't understand any of those terms. I don't even know the thread size of the eyepiece I'm.... well that thick on the subject....It is also the reason why I use a entry level camera :-O

Cheers guys,

Info much appreciated. With this being "an astro accessories friendle scope". It would be a good bet to buy a x2 barlow of good quality that will doulbe the magnification of the scope for photography.

Anyway, here's the link. If you do call, Steve will answer all questions he's great, I've bought tonnes from him.

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=celestron_regal_80

Eddie

On the Celestron website it says you can't use barlows with these scopes. You probably lose the ability to focus far away. See here.

Paul.

Got a baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece. The good news is I get zero vignetting from no zoom to full zoom, the bad news is it has gone away for xmas so I only had time for one comparison shot....at evening....in low light. I can't see significant improvement over detail but with no vignetting can give me more flexibility on shooting.

here are two zoom ins it is hard to compare because of the difference in magnifications.

Attachments

• baad2.jpg
    baad2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 365
  • cel2.jpg
    cel2.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 365
Got a baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece. The good news is I get zero vignetting from no zoom to full zoom, the bad news is it has gone away for xmas so I only had time for one comparison shot....at evening....in low light. I can't see significant improvement over detail but with no vignetting can give me more flexibility on shooting.

here are two zoom ins it is hard to compare because of the difference in magnifications.

Actually I think is quite a substantial difference IMO. Despite being of a higher magnification the baader is brighter and resolves more detail in the darker areas.
Being a regal owner think its time for a dear santa letter

edit: having said that maybe the supplied ep shot was taken ias the sun was behind a cloud?

Actually I think is quite a substantial difference IMO. Despite being of a higher magnification the baader is brighter and resolves more detail in the darker areas.
Being a regal owner think its time for a dear santa letter

edit: having said that maybe the supplied ep shot was taken ias the sun was behind a cloud?

pictures were taken four minutes apart from each other. I don't think there was a sun when I took these....it was a winter evening :t:

here are two test photos with the Celestron F-ED and 17MM Baader Hyperion fixed eyepiece. Both photos were taken on cloudy days with a shutter speed around the 1/60 mark. Also included 100% crops which i am not too familiar with but are included.

Pic 1: House Sparrow
Pic 2: House Sparrow 100% crop
Pic 3: Cormorant
Pic 4: Cormorant 100% crop

They have not been edited in Photoshop

Attachments

• testp1.jpg
    testp1.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 437
  • testp1crop.jpg
    testp1crop.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 560
  • testp2.jpg
    testp2.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 535
  • testp2crop.jpg
    testp2crop.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.. I read this thread with much interest because I'm getting ready to purchase a new spotting scope for digiscoping. I am seriously thinking of the Regal 80 F-ED as my first scope. Special thanks to The Bird Garden for the wonderful pictures, I think you sold me on this scope. I will be trying it with a DSLR and T-Ring as shown in the Regal manual.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.. I read this thread with much interest because I'm getting ready to purchase a new spotting scope for digiscoping. I am seriously thinking of the Regal 80 F-ED as my first scope. Special thanks to The Bird Garden for the wonderful pictures, I think you sold me on this scope. I will be trying it with a DSLR and T-Ring as shown in the Regal manual.

I hope it works out for you! :t:

Here are a few more photos, these are taken with the Celestron Regal Scope, Panasonic LS75 and 17mm Baader Hyperion Eyepiece.

Attachments

• Robin 002N.jpg
    Robin 002N.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Robin 004N.jpg
    Robin 004N.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 443
  • Robin 001N.jpg
    Robin 001N.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Robin 003N.jpg
    Robin 003N.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 432
I add some more pictures. This were shot through a Regal 100mm using a Canon IXUS 960IS/SD950 that I just picked up second hand. I'm still waiting for some better weather (and sun-hours) but I'm more than thrilled over this, my first, spotting scope. I used the supplied 22-67X zoom eyepiece for these, but I have also tried the BST Explorer 18mm from "Sky's the limit" on ebay and this eyepiece gives no vignetting at 36mm on camera (wide angle end). I'm so far extremely satisfied with both EP's. Well, I have nothing else to compare to so...

// Johan

Attachments

• 1_IMG_0452.jpg
    1_IMG_0452.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 1_IMG_0539.JPG
    1_IMG_0539.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 406
  • red_IMG_0202.JPG
    red_IMG_0202.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 416
Nice pics, how are you finding it compared to the zoom eyepiece?

Paul.

I'm finding the eyepiece great! Compared to the supplied eyepiece the biggest advantage is the zero vignetting, this gives me total freedom over how camera zoom I would like to supply (I often seldom use the zoom anyway). Focusing is no issue and neither is weight or size. So far I havent found any issues with the eyepiece and it is doing its job.

I add some more pictures. This were shot through a Regal 100mm using a Canon IXUS 960IS/SD950 that I just picked up second hand. I'm still waiting for some better weather (and sun-hours) but I'm more than thrilled over this, my first, spotting scope. I used the supplied 22-67X zoom eyepiece for these, but I have also tried the BST Explorer 18mm from "Sky's the limit" on ebay and this eyepiece gives no vignetting at 36mm on camera (wide angle end). I'm so far extremely satisfied with both EP's. Well, I have nothing else to compare to so...

// Johan

Some great pictures there Jo, I'm glad that you posted some pictures, it will give people more of an idea of the Regals quality. Maybe you could post some pictures of the BST Explorer 18mmm eyepiece in action as well? I'm quite curious about the results. :t:

Celestron Regal comparision "studio" shots (18 pics)

Since the weather still is lousy here, I took some time to do some indoor test shots, mostly for myself to get to know the best settings for both the eyepiece and camera. This are the stuff:

1. Spotting scope - Celestron Regal 100 F-ED
2. Camera - Canon IXUS 960IS (12Mpix, 36-33mm)
3. Eyepiece 1 - Included zoom EP 22-67x
Eyepiece 2 - BST Explorer ED 18mm

The camera adapter is a type universal adapter for Canon S90 etc.
Distance from target (SD-card) is 10m to the front lens of scope.

Well, a lot of pictures but hope I can upload them in a proper way...

// BR Johan

Attachments

• BST18_36mm.JPG
    BST18_36mm.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 322
  • BST18_54mm.JPG
    BST18_54mm.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 227
  • BST18_76mm.JPG
    BST18_76mm.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 245
  • zoom22_36mm.JPG
    zoom22_36mm.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 226
  • zoom22_54mm.JPG
    zoom22_54mm.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 229
Picture 6-10..

Attachments

• zoom22_76mm.JPG
    zoom22_76mm.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 149
  • zoom34_36mm.JPG
    zoom34_36mm.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 137
  • zoom34_54mm.JPG
    zoom34_54mm.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 135
  • zoom34_76mm.JPG
    zoom34_76mm.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 146
  • zoom45_36mm.JPG
    zoom45_36mm.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 137
picture 11-15...

Attachments

• zoom45_54mm.JPG
    zoom45_54mm.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 140
  • zoom45_76mm.JPG
    zoom45_76mm.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 137
  • zoom56_36mm.JPG
    zoom56_36mm.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 120
  • zoom56_54mm.JPG
    zoom56_54mm.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 126
  • zoom56_76mm.JPG
    zoom56_76mm.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 178
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back