• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding vacation Costa Rica, Texas, Arizona, etc. (1 Viewer)

Zolarcon

Hi BF,

I know its a lot to ask but here it goes:

I was interested in doing a trip to Costa Rica next year for about 5 to 7 days. Can anyone recommend how to go about this without spending 3000 dollars. Local Tours, Time of year? Places to stay?

Also any info on birding in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona-Local Tours, Time of year? Places to stay? Local guides versus the others? Any books, one would recommend to do a modest once in lifetime trip to see some local birds. I cant spend more than a week in any one of these places. So please bare that in mind.

Thank you very much in advance,
Carlos

birding guides

HI . . . .Bill from New York here. When I was in Tuscon, i Used Melody Kehl's Birding Adventures (her ad is in the Aba magazine and others. She was great, and she knew the area very well. The only tour I took in Texas was the King Ranch tour, in Southeast Tx west of Corpus Christi; I booked through a ad in the trades, and they have knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides that know where the birds are.
If possible, I try to use local guides, who I feel know the areas better than anyone.

Zolarcon;

For such a short visit, one might consider flying into Liberia rather than San Jose. However, since you are from Miami, I suspect American Airlines to San Jose is the only real option - but check and see if there are any flights to Liberia from Miami.

Liberia has only been taking international flights for the last two years - and mostly from Delta. The advantage is that you can be birding on the western coast 5 hours after you leave Miami. Flying into San Jose can make it a little more difficult to get anything done the first day (there are a few options). Flying into Liberia has been a snap for me, and I've done it the last three years. I walk out of this small airport where a man is waiting for me with a rental car. I could be anywhere from Carara to Santa Rosa National Park by mid-afternoon on the first day.

I highly recommend going to Costa Rica during the fall raptor migration and visiting the Kekoldi Indigenous Preserve watch site. You can see over 100,000 raptors per day, easily.

A great place to stay, either during the migration or any other time, is Aviarios del Caribe on the Estrella River estuary. Fantastic spot for a multitude of herons and kingfishers, among other things. Very inexpensive B&B sort of place.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back