• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey over Fowey Estuary (1 Viewer)

amylewis14

Novice Bird Geek
Hello all,

I have just joined the forum specifically to ask this question!

I am an "amateur" birder so forgive my ignorance. I was wondering if anyone had any confirmation of there being either kites or ospreys over the Fowey Estuary??

I was out in a boat a few days ago and there was a pair of beautiful hawks above me. I have never seen anything like them. They had long, slender wings that bent back at an angle and came to a point, and incredibly long tails that fanned out very wide. When I looked them up in my book they looked very much like kites or ospreys, but they both seem so unlikely so I just wondered if anyone could confirm it.

Thanks!

Welcome to Birforum. They sound very like Red Kite, particularly the slender wings and long tail.They are doing very well and spreading out from their original release sites and I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be in the Fowey area, as it's perfect country for them.

Chris

Thank you Chris and thanks for the quick reply. That is wonderful, I have really never seen anything other than buzzards around here so it is very exciting to think we have Red Kites too.

Whilst on the train from Liskeard to St Austell yesterday I saw a Red Kite near Liskeard. This is only a short distance from your sighting.

Just to add a small spanner. There were a couple of Osprey hanging out, a bit south of Lostwithiel , a couple of years ago! And I've seen a Red Kite at Connon Bridge dump, happily displaying traditional 19th century scavenging behaviour. So good habitat for either, though a bit early for Osprey, so look for forked tail, or not, next time. And we're all amateurs, really!

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum specifically to ask this question!

I am an "amateur" birder so forgive my ignorance. I was wondering if anyone had any confirmation of there being either kites or ospreys over the Fowey Estuary??

I was out in a boat a few days ago and there was a pair of beautiful hawks above me. I have never seen anything like them. They had long, slender wings that bent back at an angle and came to a point, and incredibly long tails that fanned out very wide. When I looked them up in my book they looked very much like kites or ospreys, but they both seem so unlikely so I just wondered if anyone could confirm it.

Thanks!
Just following up on this one, I was out on the Hall Walk from Fowey today and spotted a mid sized brown bird of prey following the tree line along the estuary valley then disappearing into the woods on the Polruan side sending the wood pigeons into a panic. I didn't see the kites' usual forked tale, more buzzard like with cranked wings. It had a high pitched repeated call a bit like a gull - I think it may have been a female Hen Harrier?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back