• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

I think it may be the stunning caterpillar of the Sycamore Moth.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sycamore+moth+caterpillar&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BKs&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=CpFvToDWJYXGswby1MycBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1276&bih=793

Discussion on the internet suggests that, like many hairy moth caterpillars, they can be quite allergenic; causing localized rashes etc. Like its name suggests they feed predominantly on the Acer species (although they're also found on Horse Chestnuts, apparently).
Nice one Sy - that would fit in with us cutting down sycamores, whats the moth look like , pretty boring I bet.:t:

Today at the Moors
Little Grebe, GCG 5, Cormorant 3, Shoveler c6, Teal, Green Sand, Common Sand, Lapwing c50, Med Gull more juv than 1st winter (appearing quite brown), Arctic Tern 2 juvs,
flocks of un-Id'd finches moving around, starling flocks of up to 30, plenty of chiffchaffs latched on to the tit flocks,
Ray's Cettis vigil revealed zero, but maybe it doesn't need to announce itself, as there is no opposition.
small numbers of all 3 hirundines,
B :)John

Today we split into 2 groups.
5 on the car park and 9 on the feeding station channel
At the car park, our aim is to improve the quality of the western border hedgerow. Today we coppiced the sycamore thicket (some at least 30 foot high). This will remove the shading effect and encourage thorn bushes , elder and bramble to proliferate. The 'brash' was used to fill the gap in the border fence and also (the majority) was used to create a 'dead hedge' along the trail just behind the hide. This will hopefully provide scrub habitat (bramble thicket) and a future breeding area, for amongst other species the Cettis warbler.
The other group today cleared the vegetation around the silted channel in front of the feeding station hide. Once that was done, the back breaking work began on digging out the channel roots and all. This area now looks great for crakes and Bittern ( both large and small - hopefully 8-P).
Many thanks on behalf of Paul M (the boss) to everyone, for an excellent day's work. Also special thanks to Ferg for his chainsaw skills and knowledge.

The first 2 pics show the west car park hedge 1.before March 2011.
2. After today's work
3. the feeding station channel before todays work
4. After the work
5. A caterpillar found today - anyone got any ideas what species.
bird sightings later

Always good to see the efforts of the work party. Good work all! Only thing is I'm a bit disappointed John that the channel clearing didn't produce a Bittern today, I may have to go back another time to find it! 8-P

Good pics-wild caterpillar.

In my never ending quest to fathom the mysteries of Gull plumage variations is this a Juvenile BHG or.......?

Also some images of todays Tern.

Attachments

• Web Fishing Tern.jpg
    Web Fishing Tern.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Web Gull For ID.jpg
    Web Gull For ID.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Web Gull For ID 2.jpg
    Web Gull For ID 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Web Look At Me.....jpg
    Web Look At Me.....jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Web Todays Tern.jpg
    Web Todays Tern.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
Some nice dynamic BIF photos there!
Our resident Tawny Owl has started screeching from his roost outside our front door early tonight!

Today at the Moors....

Med Gull more juv than 1st winter (appearing quite brown), Arctic Tern 2 juvs,

A Med Gull (Juv moulting thru to 1st Winter) roosted on the flashes this evening. It was getting quite dark by the time it dropped in (7:45pm) but my impression was that it was more advanced than the bird I saw last week (especially the scaps) - I tried to get a photo but came out very blurred.

1 Dunlin, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpipers, 26 Curlews roosted and ca. 50 large Gulls circled at dusk.

In my never ending quest to fathom the mysteries of Gull plumage variations is this a Juvenile BHG or.......?

Also some images of todays Tern.

Great shots Rob...The arctic terns bill is extensively more redder than would be expected for an advanced juvenile.
I wonder if the red gape is diagnostic as seen in pic 1

cheers chaps got the pics the day before they realised they had a little bittern i thought it looked too small but everyone looking at the time thought it was your standard bittern, had 30-40 pics some with minnow in beak and one with neck extended out fully whilst leaning out of reeds. did 121 birds in seven days and added 5 new lifers also got black redstart before hol and sabine at belvide on way home, not a bad week and half. catch ya all later.

cheers chaps got the pics the day before they realised they had a little bittern i thought it looked too small but everyone looking at the time thought it was your standard bittern, had 30-40 pics some with minnow in beak and one with neck extended out fully whilst leaning out of reeds. did 121 birds in seven days and added 5 new lifers also got black redstart before hol and sabine at belvide on way home, not a bad week and half. catch ya all later.

Nice one Trace - sounds like a great trip. You might even get some of the credit for finding the Little Bittern by the sound of it.

Now you need to stop gallivanting and find one at Upton, mate! :t:

another one to check.

looks like spotted fly catcher but feathering does'nt seem to tie up to what it shows in my books. if ya don't mind having a look. cheers.

Attachments

• DSC03543.jpg
    DSC03543.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 81
Today's highlights with the Flashes devoid of birds late afternoon due to Trust work.

FLASHES:
Spotted Fly (on metal fences right of hide)---------Redstart reported
Green Sand (2)---------------------------------------Teal (13)
BH Gull (c60)-----------------------------------------Arctic Tern reported (ad). See Moors
House Martin/Swallow (c70)-mostly House Martin

MOORS:
Arctic Tern (2Ad+2Juv)------------------------------Green Sand
Shoveler(9)-------------------------------------------Teal (21)
Kingfisher---------------------------------------------Lapwing (20)
Barnacle Goose---------------------------------------Greylag Goose (13)
Buzzard (5) including very pale bird----------------Med Gull (probably the bird seen yesterday)

OF INTEREST:
Brown Argus

Today's highlights with the Flashes devoid of birds late afternoon due to Trust work.

FLASHES:
Spotted Fly (on metal fences right of hide)---------Redstart reported
Green Sand (2)---------------------------------------Teal (13)
BH Gull (c60)-----------------------------------------Arctic Tern reported (ad). See Moors
House Martin/Swallow (c70)-mostly House Martin

MOORS:
Arctic Tern (2Ad+2Juv)------------------------------Green Sand
Shoveler(9)-------------------------------------------Teal (21)
Kingfisher---------------------------------------------Lapwing (20)
Barnacle Goose---------------------------------------Greylag Goose (13)
Buzzard (5) including very pale bird----------------Med Gull (probably the bird seen yesterday)

OF INTEREST:
Brown Argus

What work was that, Des:eek!:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back