• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Hi John,

Do you remember when a young lad led you and John Hancox on a Barn Owl twitch at Ipsley Alders Marsh near where you live.......?

Anyways, I was that young lad , I was amazed as you also managed to find a Water Rail, Woodcock and Snipe.....

John Hancox managed to have an Osprey at Arrow Valley Lake for about 5 mins.........before it morphed into a Glider......

He, like me, was another crazy enough to regularly cycle from Redditch to Upton W...

Parents still live in Winyates, Hawfinch reg in Garden 2winters ago,......

Hi John,

Do you remember when a young lad led you and John Hancox on a Barn Owl twitch at Ipsley Alders Marsh near where you live.......?

Anyways, I was that young lad , I was amazed as you also managed to find a Water Rail, Woodcock and Snipe.....

John Hancox managed to have an Osprey at Arrow Valley Lake for about 5 mins.........before it morphed into a Glider......

He, like me, was another crazy enough to regularly cycle from Redditch to Upton W...

Parents still live in Winyates, Hawfinch reg in Garden 2winters ago,......
Going back a fair while mate, but I do remember it.
Hope you are well and do you ever go to Upton?
makes me feel really old now:-C
B :)John

Snipe images from Water Rail Hide, Moors today:

Rob

Attachments

• Web Snipe 3.jpg
    Web Snipe 3.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Web Snipe Feeding.jpg
    Web Snipe Feeding.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Web Snipe Landing 5.jpg
    Web Snipe Landing 5.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Web Swimming Snipe Pair.jpg
    Web Swimming Snipe Pair.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 76
Snipe images from Water Rail Hide, Moors today:

Rob
Youv'e got the full works there Rob, excellent shots. The food item in the 2nd shot should keep it going for a while. That area in front looks ideal for all sorts of stuff. Still waiting for a crake though8-P, you deserve one with all the time you spend there.
ps thanks for fixing the door mate.:t:

Youv'e got the full works there Rob, excellent shots. The food item in the 2nd shot should keep it going for a while. That area in front looks ideal for all sorts of stuff. Still waiting for a crake though8-P, you deserve one with all the time you spend there.
ps thanks for fixing the door mate.:t:

Thanks John.

Trev helped me with the door. Amazingly we had to hammer the metal door straight where the hinge was bent & when we finished & looked out the Snipe were still there asleep!

Rob

Rob

Your first shot is similar to a picture I took (of a Snipe on the Flashes) a couple of years ago. In it (and you can just about see it in yours) you could just make out the small serrations along the Snipe's mandibles. Good one!

Rob

Your first shot is similar to a picture I took (of a Snipe on the Flashes) a couple of years ago. In it (and you can just about see it in yours) you could just make out the small serrations along the Snipe's mandibles. Good one!

Don't forget the flexible tip of the bill Sy8-P
There's a lot more to waders than....."that little brown job on the mud"
The best group in the bird world.:t:

The Barn Owl at Ipsley Alders was about 24 years ago....I haven't been to Upton for about 20 years, but am planning to go back in the next few weeks, so will report back to the board....

Is Sherbie still around ? Do lesser spotted woodpeckers still turn up in the orchard by the Moors pool.....?

Least Sandpiper was my Best bird during that era..........

The Barn Owl at Ipsley Alders was about 24 years ago....I haven't been to Upton for about 20 years, but am planning to go back in the next few weeks, so will report back to the board....

Is Sherbie still around ? Do lesser spotted woodpeckers still turn up in the orchard by the Moors pool.....?

Least Sandpiper was my Best bird during that era..........

Sherbie died a good few years ago.
re Lesser pecker we never go up to the orchard.
I take it you haven't seen Amy's Marsh at the Moors then (18 years old now).
Don't mention the Least ..a lot of people on here didn't see that one.
Are you still birding?
When you go to Upton watch out for the wardens, they will make you buy a permit if you are not a member.:smoke:

Sherbie died a good few years ago.
re Lesser pecker we never go up to the orchard.
I take it you haven't seen Amy's Marsh at the Moors then (18 years old now).
Don't mention the Least ..a lot of people on here didn't see that one.
Are you still birding?
When you go to Upton watch out for the wardens, they will make you buy a permit if you are not a member.:smoke:

That is a shame re Sherbie, he was a good guy. I have had less time for birding having family to raise, but managed to keep the fire burning with holidays to Norfolk and abroad etc.....
I also did an msc in Habitat Creation and Ecology......I can remember you giving me 10 reasons why my idea to plant trees around the scrape was not as good as I thought, you seem to have a really good knowledge of habitats and scot systems from the posts re the work at the reserve.

Black Throated Thrush near Redditch was another good un, walked there from winyates....

You alluded to your garden list a few weeks ago, it would be fascinating if you could share that at some stage.....I had nightjar when I lived in winyates....

Good to here you are still going well.....JTB as you were known to me and my mates

I have started driving out to see new birds adding to my RSPB birdwatcher logbook from my childhood....(many upton trips from the 80s logged)...

Just been looking at the Upton Warren Birding site (Bird List) and seen the last sighting for Long tailed Duck was 2003 is this so, or is it a little out of date?Last one I had was on the Moors.It does not seem that long ago! (must be getting old!)

Just been looking at the Upton Warren Birding site (Bird List) and seen the last sighting for Long tailed Duck was 2003 is this so, or is it a little out of date?Last one I had was on the Moors.It does not seem that long ago! (must be getting old!)
Glenn
Phil will let us know when he gets back from Shetland.
Mind you I could have a look in my birds of upton warren, 40 years on ...I forgot Gavo has got it.8-P

That is a shame re Sherbie, he was a good guy. I have had less time for birding having family to raise, but managed to keep the fire burning with holidays to Norfolk and abroad etc.....
I also did an msc in Habitat Creation and Ecology......I can remember you giving me 10 reasons why my idea to plant trees around the scrape was not as good as I thought, you seem to have a really good knowledge of habitats and scot systems from the posts re the work at the reserve.

Black Throated Thrush near Redditch was another good un, walked there from winyates....

You alluded to your garden list a few weeks ago, it would be fascinating if you could share that at some stage.....I had nightjar when I lived in winyates....

Good to here you are still going well.....JTB as you were known to me and my mates

I have started driving out to see new birds adding to my RSPB birdwatcher logbook from my childhood....(many upton trips from the 80s logged)...
Great to see you are still active,
that MSC could come in handy at Upton work parties:smoke:
hope to see you soon

Long-tailed Duck
2003 at The Flashes (two immature males) - R Biddle
2004 Moors Pool fly-over (one bird) Gordon Greaves

Excellent views of a handful of meadow pipits feeding in and around the islands of vegetation on the mudflats in front of the main flashes (Avocet) hide this morning.

Not rare I know but still textbook examples of fresh autumnal plumage in full and prolonged view not far from the hide so great for a newbie like me.

Paul

Excellent views of a handful of meadow pipits feeding in and around the islands of vegetation on the mudflats in front of the main flashes (Avocet) hide this morning.

Not rare I know but still textbook examples of fresh autumnal plumage in full and prolonged view not far from the hide so great for a newbie like me.

Paul
can be quite difficult to get good views of them on the deck. Always worth checking them though, as it is a good time for Rock pipits.
ps hope you have recovered after the last two work parties:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back