• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

As Mike has steadfastly refused John's request to link this snippet from another of the Worecestershire site threads (Arrow Valley) I have taken it upon myself to do it.

Without a record accepted by the County Recorder this species will unfortunately remain off the Upton Warren list; however could the insects around the water's edge be attracting migrant birds? I recall there was a report of a strange bird churring in from of the West Hide at the Moors Pool one spring evening in the late 1990s although nothing was ever submitted.

I met someone at UW about 4/5 years ago, can't remember who, that reported hearing a Nightjar when he was at Feckenham Wylde Moor.

Rob

Pics from today
1.the west end of 'pool island'
2. the seasonal pool - it looks really promising. Check this area to the left of the east hide for waders and wheatear and yellow wags in the spring.
3. the curlews at the east shore of the 2nd flash

Attachments

• 1.AMy's marsh am .JPG
    1.AMy's marsh am .JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 2. seasonal pool2).JPG
    2. seasonal pool2).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 3. the curlews.JPG
    3. the curlews.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 96
It would be great to get a cast-iron record of a Marsh Tit, because although there are three records mentioned in "The Birds of Upton Warren" they do not inspire confidence.

mid 1970's (undated)-1 bird at the Moors (no initials).
23/04/1983-1 bird at the Moors (no initials)
Spring 1986-1 bird at the Moors (no initials)

Examination of the 1986 report reveals the following: Marsh Tit- "A bird thought to be of this species was seen in the Spring".

Des.
I had a Marsh Tit calling and seen on the public footpath around the Education Reserve on 9th Dec. 1993, I'm pretty sure I put the record in the logbook? ( I knew they were a rare bird for UW even in those days) I regularly saw Willow Tits around the feeders in Nov. 93 but no Marsh Tit.
My first visit to UW was on the 29th Dec. 1974, over 38 years ago!! and I've been going on and off ever since. My first goodie there was 3 Bewick's Swans in 1975 and the singing Savi's Warbler in 1985 was good to hear. I recall how Turtle Dove were regular in the late 70's, how things have changed. It's still one of my favorite places.
Geoff

I had a Marsh Tit calling and seen on the public footpath around the Education Reserve on 9th Dec. 1993, I'm pretty sure I put the record in the logbook? ( I knew they were a rare bird for UW even in those days) I regularly saw Willow Tits around the feeders in Nov. 93 but no Marsh Tit.
My first visit to UW was on the 29th Dec. 1974, over 38 years ago!! and I've been going on and off ever since. My first goodie there was 3 Bewick's Swans in 1975 and the singing Savi's Warbler in 1985 was good to hear. I recall how Turtle Dove were regular in the late 70's, how things have changed. It's still one of my favorite places.
Geoff

The 1993 report has no Marsh Tit records and the log-books were a major source of the report, so your record must have slipped the net.

Des.

Hi Gav, nice to knowyou are still with us mate.:t:
I think you will have a wide choice, from every angle doing everything an Osprey can possibly do. including a triple somersault and twist 8-P.
Try Vern (kingfisher - kid), Rob (forgetfulelephant) or Trace (Binus63). PM them and mention you are my best mate (send me the cheque later):smoke: joking apart they are the best I would recommend.
see you in the spring??B :)john

Hi Gav, sent you a PM re Osprey

Rob

Hi Gav

There is also the UW Flickr site mate, you have an account, remember ?..you can use the link below ;)
Some of John's non favourites have some very good pics on there too !!

Thanks to everyone for their replies much appreciated.

I will definitely be there sometime over Easter John. Hayley works weekends so I don't have the car, what with all the uni work during the week it's been impossible to get over, will hopefully make a few more appearances over the spring though.

Cheers Rob, I've sent a pm. :t:

Oh! I forgot about that Mark, I knew there was a way to access them but it's been so long I forgot.

Hi guys remember me?

Not been around for ages, due to living a fair distance away and bogged down in uni work.

Nice to hear that the spring migration is slowly starting. 2 kittiwakes that's amazing, don't often get them this far inland?

I was actually wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of the osprey images from Upton last year. I am doing a presentation on them and would like to use locally sourced images (with the photographers permissions of course).

Hi Gav
good to hear from you,Mary says Hello.WWT have flickr site site it may be same one as john pointed out but I've put link below. your nest boxes are busy already, how much info did obtain last year?quiet sure it would be interesting to birders here, even just the stats,on what you found,stay happpy Tim

http://www.flickr.com/groups/worcestershirewildlifetrust/pool/tags/uptonwarren/page6/

Hi Gav
good to hear from you,Mary says Hello.WWT have flickr site site it may be same one as john pointed out but I've put link below. your nest boxes are busy already, how much info did obtain last year?quiet sure it would be interesting to birders here, even just the stats,on what you found,stay happpy Tim

http://www.flickr.com/groups/worcestershirewildlifetrust/pool/tags/uptonwarren/page6/

Hi to you Tim and Mary too, cheers for that info :t:

Glad the boxes a re in full swing, I did send the data on last years breeding numbers to Phil, I'm not sure what he plans to do with it?

It might not make a lot of sense as it was organised to make it easier to input the data into a statistical analysis programme, I have cleaned it all up now and will print it off and bring it with me when I pop over next (sometime over Easter).

Take care and see you soon.

Hi to you Tim and Mary too, cheers for that info :t:

Glad the boxes a re in full swing, I did send the data on last years breeding numbers to Phil, I'm not sure what he plans to do with it?

It might not make a lot of sense as it was organised to make it easier to input the data into a statistical analysis programme, I have cleaned it all up now and will print it off and bring it with me when I pop over next (sometime over Easter).

Take care and see you soon.

Hi Gav - a summary of the breeding successes from the nest boxes is to be included in the 2012 annual report.

Hi Gav - a summary of the breeding successes from the nest boxes is to be included in the 2012 annual report.

Hi Phil,

That's great news. As far as I can ascertain from the BBS data from last year the numbers at UW were very similar to the national average of fledglings per box. They being 6 ± SE at the Flashes and 6.44 ± SE at the Moors :t:

Wow!!! what a turn out. 24 of us and this without our leader Phil (on canaries).
Thanks to everyone for a great effort, we really pushed the boat out today - well Ian and Si literally did. A special mention to Gemma for giving up her birthday and shopkeeper Mary, for the great service (even though it would appear that a bit of shoplifting took place:-O:-O.
The work today included:-
1. cutting grass short in front and either side of hide and removing cuttings.
2. pruning thorn bushes to north of hide to improve viewing and opening up
the area.
3. clearing all the breeding islands and 'freshening' them up.
4. repaired holes in fox fence
5. extending the overhang of the fox fence (nice job Ian and Matt;))
6. dug out the encroaching phragmites from 'delta' area.
7. pruning back some of the overhanging thorn bushes along the western
hedgerow.
8. cutting back part of the blackthorn thicket in front of the oak tree to stop
magpies nesting.
I just hope the birds appreciate all we have done for them.:t:

thanks to you all, Phil will be well pleased.;)
Ian (muntjac)and Matt, Mary (Gladys) and Tim, Si (hairy birder) and Guy(not so hairy birder), Janette (Janette 55), Gemma, Phil Q, Graham L, Glenn (GH1), Trace (binus 63), Paul (lesser kestrel), Tony H, Paul H (beyonder), Peter E, Derek, SyV, Paul C (oriole boy), Gary P (biking birder), Des J (UW82), Dave W (woodchat), and last but not least Mike (wheatearlp).
Well have a good rest and see you in the autumn for the work party. But hopefully throughout the coming months birding. I have all your mobiles so you will be the first to know when the birds start appearing B :) John

unfortunately I didn't take any 'after' pictures will do it on Tuesday and post them on here.

Top work from a set of top lads and lasses; will inspect your handiwork tomorrow. Hopefully JTB treated you to some good cakes.

Stonechat

well done , a pity we were still on the islands, we can't take any credit for that one.:smoke:john
And definitely a first of the year, not sure but I don't think we had one last year. Mike will tell us, unless Phil is looking in from the Canaries.

A great find (and under the noses of the work party!)

Stonechat have become very scarce over the last few years from a position when they were regularly over-wintering in the mid Noughties. Likewise the number of birds encountered on passage has also notably diminished; I havent seen any studies but presumably the series of relatively cold winters has had an adverse effect on their population. Sightings for the last five years are as follows:

- wintering pair at Moors present until 04/03 with third bird in late February; three birds at Flashes on several dates in March with four on 05/03 with records of one or two throughout the month; male at Flashes on 18/06; male at Flashes on 22/09; one at Flashes on 16/10; one at Flashes on 04/11; one at Moors on 13/11; female at Flashes on 26/11; female at Flashes on 14/12 and 18/12.
2009 - female at Flashes 14/03; female along Moors access track 14/04; male near Hobden Hall Farm 20/09; one near main Flashes hide 08/10
2010 - male at Flashes 07/03 to 12/03
2011 - male at Flashes 01/03; female at Flashes 11/03 to 14/03; second bird on 13/03; juvenile at Flashes 02/07
2012 - no records!

Avocets split between the Flashes and Moors. Sat in the east hide in the rain showers eventually found 1 Jack Snipe amongst 20 Snipe even had Water Rail running around.
2 Redpolls still feeding in Alders by gate on East track

Avocets split between the Flashes and Moors. Sat in the east hide in the rain showers eventually found 1 Jack Snipe amongst 20 Snipe even had Water Rail running around.
2 Redpolls still feeding in Alders by gate on East track

How many Avos today Trev? Was strange to run into Tim hundreds of miles away on North Uist!

The host of new sightings in early March - Med Gull, Redshank, LRP, Stonechat, Barnacle Goose etc - has taken the year list up to 96, discounting for the minute the Marsh Tit (or Willow Tit; even Blackcap would be new for the year!).

March's list already is the joint highest for the month on 83 with plenty of possibilities - Swallow, Sand martin, Wheatear, Little Egret, Pintail, Goldeneye etc - yet to come. Has anyone seen any of the following this month: Starling, Little Owl, Nuthatch, Rook, Skylark?

The host of new sightings in early March - Med Gull, Redshank, LRP, Stonechat, Barnacle Goose etc - has taken the year list up to 96, discounting for the minute the Marsh Tit (or Willow Tit; even Blackcap would be new for the year!).

March's list already is the joint highest for the month on 83 with plenty of possibilities - Swallow, Sand martin, Wheatear, Little Egret, Pintail, Goldeneye etc - yet to come. Has anyone seen any of the following this month: Starling, Little Owl, Nuthatch, Rook, Skylark?

Starling yes only small numbers though. none of the others though.:t:

I think Mike (wheatearlp) had 15/16 avocets and 3 prs of gadwall at the Flashes, this morning. He also opened up the sluice, with water level at 0.54.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back