• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your very favorite Roof and Porro Prism? (1 Viewer)

Favorite roof: one more vote for Zeiss 8x32. I finally got a pair this week (Cameraland demo deal. How do they do it?). They are bright, light, sharp, and the fast focus works perfectly. This pair will be at my side for years to come. I can't say I'm a fan of the case, though. Way too big and bulky, with a second strap. I'll either swipe the case from my Pentax 8x32 ED, or else just use it with caps and rainguard. I'm leaning toward just the caps. It seems rugged enough.

Having said that, is the Zeiss as good as my favorite porro? Nope, and that can only mean one thing: I have the 8x32 SE. The view here has something else entirely. The sharpness edge to edge, the near complete absence of distortions, the 3-D depth--nothing else has it. There is a complete calm or repose to it, like an Eliot Porter photograph or something. Every roof I've ever tried has a view that seems "nervous" beside it. Hard to explain; easy to see. Maybe it has something to do with the prisms, and the fact that roofs need so much attention to phase shifts.

Anyway, between the Zeiss and the Nikon I'm set for life, I think. If the new Swaros can do what the SE does (and except for 3-D they might come close)--please keep it to yourself. My wife already thinks I'm a loon for buying this new Zeiss.

I have

Porro

Swift Ultra Light 8 x 42 and they are really excellent for the money - and light to carry.

Because I was on a budget when I bought there wasn't anything roof prism wise that could touch them for the price (about £125 when I bought them I think).

However, I did have a gorp through Swaroski 10 x 42's the other day - and no doubt about the image was sharp and bright. As sharp as my Swifts (more a statement on the optical clarity of the Swifts), but certainly brighter, and considering they are higher magnification, that is impressive.

Trying them side by side however, if I were buying again - to me as an occasional birder, they just wouldn't be worth 7 (?) times the price. But its like all things, its a bit of compromise on price, weight, performance - so only know what works for you.

Favorite roof: one more vote for Zeiss 8x32. I finally got a pair this week (Cameraland demo deal. How do they do it?). They are bright, light, sharp, and the fast focus works perfectly. This pair will be at my side for years to come. I can't say I'm a fan of the case, though. Way too big and bulky, with a second strap. I'll either swipe the case from my Pentax 8x32 ED, or else just use it with caps and rainguard. I'm leaning toward just the caps. It seems rugged enough.

Having said that, is the Zeiss as good as my favorite porro? Nope, and that can only mean one thing: I have the 8x32 SE. The view here has something else entirely. The sharpness edge to edge, the near complete absence of distortions, the 3-D depth--nothing else has it. There is a complete calm or repose to it, like an Eliot Porter photograph or something. Every roof I've ever tried has a view that seems "nervous" beside it. Hard to explain; easy to see. Maybe it has something to do with the prisms, and the fact that roofs need so much attention to phase shifts.

Anyway, between the Zeiss and the Nikon I'm set for life, I think. If the new Swaros can do what the SE does (and except for 3-D they might come close)--please keep it to yourself. My wife already thinks I'm a loon for buying this new Zeiss.

You have MY two binoculars! The best roof and the best porro. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is close to the Nikon 8x32 SE but not quite as good. You think the case on the Zeiss is to BIG. I think it is perfect because you can fit the strap in it and carry the case over your shoulder. I know those damn Swaro's 8.5x42 are very good! Very, very good! I like em too.

Dennis

Dennis,

I'll give the Zeiss case a try. It seems a tight squeeze to get bins, rainguard, caps and neoprene strap all in that well-padded case, though.

And then I think of the extra weight. My Pentax case weighs half as much, the strap half as much as well. The Pentax case is "eveready" (I guess you call it) so you can just pull it off the bins, fold it in half, stick it in your pants pocket if need be. Couldn't be simpler.

But I'm off for a ten mile hike, and I'll give the Zeiss case a chance.

Mark

Dennis,

I'll give the Zeiss case a try. It seems a tight squeeze to get bins, rainguard, caps and neoprene strap all in that well-padded case, though.

And then I think of the extra weight. My Pentax case weighs half as much, the strap half as much as well. The Pentax case is "eveready" (I guess you call it) so you can just pull it off the bins, fold it in half, stick it in your pants pocket if need be. Couldn't be simpler.

But I'm off for a ten mile hike, and I'll give the Zeiss case a chance.

Mark

Oh yea everything fits in Zeiss FL case. Position the binoculars off to the side and just fold the strap up and stick it in off to the side of the binoculars. Hang the case over your shoulder with the strap and when you need the binoculars just open the case and then hang the binoculars around your neck. Put them back in the case when you are not using them. I think the Zeiss case is perfect because it is well padded if you drop it and the binoculars fit perfect in it and it well sealed from the rain and that foam is really not that heavy for the protection it offers. The strap on the case also has that wider padded portion that you position on your shoulder which makes a big difference when you are carrying them all day. The Zeiss binoculars strap is nicely padded and perfectly contoured for comfort around your neck also. The objective covers fit perfectly and are really nice quality as are the rain covers. I really like the ergonomics of the Zeiss 8x32 FL and the feel of them. Thoses Germans thought of everything! Optics are superb. As good or better than any roof out there EXCEPT for the Nikon 8x32 SE which we all know is a WONDERFUL porro and has the best optics of anything out there.

Dennis

Last edited:
I´m very fickle with binoculars so I´d give a different answer to "fave roof/porro" every fortnight or so. Therefore you can completely ignore the following current faves:

Roof: Swaro EL 8.5x42
Porro: Nikon EII 10x35. Or maybe Canon IS 10x30. Or maybe not. I just can´t decide.

Changed my mind. My fave porros are Nikon EII 8x30. For the moment. I used to dislike their stubbiness, but now I see it as compactness. (If you can´t change the binos, change yourself.....)

Pretty much everywhere except North America it seems. In Tokyo, they sell new for 48,000 yen.

cheers,
Rick

Roof : Swaro EL 10x42

Porro : Celestron Outland LX 10x50 porro----GO OUTLAND GO!!! ^^ moaaahahahahaha!!!

Cheers :)

Galih

Porro: Sancho's Nikon 8x30EII ...so you would like to have it back? ;)
Roof: No clear favourite for me. Selected features from Leica (looks), Swarovski (feel) and Zeiss (view) 8x32s. Nikon 8x32HG is an OK compromise (10x32 if you don't carry a scope).

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back