• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st bino for kid (1 Viewer)

canutus

Hi, looking for a 1st bino for a 5 years old boy? I guess it should have low magnification, large field of view, lightweigth but rough, small minimun interpupilary distance.
Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

Hi Cristian
I fairly recently bought my niece a pair of Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 binoculars. She is 11 years old but very slim and these fit her face easily. They are lightweight and have nice handling for her small hands and she was thrilled with them and uses them a lot.
As a bonus they close focus very near to satisfy any childs curiosity.
Hope this helps
Ian

The 6.5x Papilio would be great as would the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or the Eagle Optics Raven 6.5x32.

I have a pair of the Yosemites and my 2.75 year old carries them around the house and "goes birding" (her words). I can't tell if she's actually looking through them or not. A more realistic comparison is my 4.5 year old nephew who was visiting recently and when I loaned him the Yosemites to look at boats out on puget sound, I couldn't get them back from him for another hour (he was so enthralled). I understand he's been pestering his father for a pair since then....

Hi, looking for a 1st bino for a 5 years old boy? I guess it should have low magnification, large field of view, lightweigth but rough, small minimun interpupilary distance.
Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

Hello,

Honestly, for that kind of purpose, those 8x21 cheap Bushnell or Tasco binoculars are well suited IMO. Don't buy the 10x models. In a few years, if he is still interested, buy him a pair of 6x30 or something, like the leupold Yosemite.

I would go for the 6x30 Yosemite too. Though the Papilio has the advantage of very close focus, it will offer a much dimmer view, having less than half the area of glass in the objectives.

I definitely wouldn't buy anything of poor quality unless you want him to lose interest very quickly.

Michael

Last edited:
Hello,

Honestly, for that kind of purpose, those 8x21 cheap Bushnell or Tasco binoculars are well suited IMO. Don't buy the 10x models. In a few years, if he is still interested, buy him a pair of 6x30 or something, like the leupold Yosemite.

May I ask why not buy the 10X models?
If for an older child say 10 - 12 years then would the Tasco be suitable or are we starting to look at something a little better?
Am looking at purchasing in the UK for the children - rather than have to share mine, trouble is I have 4 and would only have bins for the smallest (useless bins but she doesn't know that), looking to buy two pairs of something?

May I ask why not buy the 10X models?
If for an older child say 10 - 12 years then would the Tasco be suitable or are we starting to look at something a little better?
Am looking at purchasing in the UK for the children - rather than have to share mine, trouble is I have 4 and would only have bins for the smallest (useless bins but she doesn't know that), looking to buy two pairs of something?

10x vs 8x you lose a lot:

- less light into the binoculars (eg. 21mm/10 = 2,1 mm exit pupil and 21mm/8 = 2,65 mm so you gain 0,5 mm of exit pupil)
- normally narrower field of vew
- most peoples find it hard to have a stable view above 8x.

While very cheap, you can see somethng in those bins. Because of the very low price, it makes a good gift for a child as you don't know how cerefull he (she) will be with them. It's a good "toy to initiate a child to nature". For ~teen and above, I recommand something better.

10x vs 8x you lose a lot:

- less light into the binoculars (eg. 21mm/10 = 2,1 mm exit pupil and 21mm/8 = 2,65 mm so you gain 0,5 mm of exit pupil)
- normally narrower field of vew
- most peoples find it hard to have a stable view above 8x.

While very cheap, you can see somethng in those bins. Because of the very low price, it makes a good gift for a child as you don't know how cerefull he (she) will be with them. It's a good "toy to initiate a child to nature". For ~teen and above, I recommand something better.

Recommend anyhting in particular that would be available in the UK without breaking the bank?

Recommend anyhting in particular that would be available in the UK without breaking the bank?

Are they young kids? If so I was talking about The Bushnell or Tasco 8x21 or 8x25. They are very cheap. Barely acceptable view but, like I said, they makes great toys. Later, if one of them is interested, just buy somehting more decent.

Hi Christian,

The 6.5x Papilio would be a great choice as your boy will like looking at bugs (way more interesting than birds) with the super close focus.

Kids eyes are so good they don't need binos. Personally, I think 5 is too young for binoculars. 8-9 and up is a better age to start. A magnifying glass might be a better tool for kids in the field. Only talking from experience.

But... if you do buy him something make sure it complements your own binoculars
so it's a good back up or for use running or cycling (smaller bin)

Yosemite 6x is a great choice also (I got one for my daughter which I mostly use)

Cheers

Sounds like the Yosemite is the way to go.
I was using mine today, Cristian, and was impressed by them yet again. What I noticed particularly was that the combination of wide field of view, wide depth of field and quick focus make it really easy to find and focus on birds in bushes and to follow birds in flight. They're probably about as good as you can get for these purposes.

Michael

The Leupold Yosemite's are £80 here. That's a lot of money to spend on bins for a child of five who probably wouldn't appreciate the difference between them and a real cheap pair, perhaps even a toy pair. I'd find something second-hand or dirt cheap and check the interest was real first.

Graham

My eight year old is a pretty good birder for his age and has gotten me interested as well. He picked up the hobby from his grandmother. He is using a pair of old Bushnells I got as a service award at work about 7 years ago. He loves my ZRS' (no affiliation) so my wife and I are talking about getting him a nicer pair for X-mas. I find this thread very interesting.

Those Yosemite look like they might just be the ticket.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back