• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZR 8x43 ed2 vs Nikon 8x32SE:a rough comparison (1 Viewer)

I really don´t get it. You say I have a lead-free SE. And the version 504, right? But the changeover to lead-free glass happened first in 2002. If my SE is a 504, it can´t be lead-free according to your table..??! :eek!:

I bought it new from a small camera shop.

Yes it can be lead free. It could have been laying around the camera shop since 2002 or the outfit that supplied the camera shop with it could have had it since 2002.

Bob

Yes it can be lead free. It could have been laying around the camera shop since 2002 or the outfit that supplied the camera shop with it could have had it since 2002.

Bob

I think he means that since his is a 504 mfg. date would be 2001 no matter when he bought it.That would put it in that leaded glass time frame...

One of the things that the comparison under discussion cannot answer is the durability factor. The 8x32 SE has been around for around 12 years. I have yet to hear of or read about a significant mechanical defect. I agree with Pileatus. Enjoy your glass. If you have any generation of SEs, you have a very good glass.

I think he means that since his is a 504 mfg. date would be 2001 no matter when he bought it.That would put it in that leaded glass time frame...

Yes Ardy, I think you are right. I think that's what Brock meant too. It's what I meant but my typing got ahead of my brain on this!:h?:
Bob

One of the things that the comparison under discussion cannot answer is the durability factor. The 8x32 SE has been around for around 12 years. I have yet to hear of or read about a significant mechanical defect. I agree with Pileatus. Enjoy your glass. If you have any generation of SEs, you have a very good glass.

Hi John, I agree with you and Pileatus. I would not be afraid to buy one from the first year the model came out.:t:
Regards,Steve

for brightness, in my test the ZR wins by quite a margin. I use them in my living room with lights turned off, only leaving the lights on in the bedroom. I watch the CDs stacked in my bookshelf. Through the nikon I can't read the title, I can only recognize the brand name of the CDs, while through the ZR I can see the title clearly in every letter without guessing.

well, it is surprising. I thought Porro binoculars would shine on brightness since they need less glasses to get the same optical results as roof binoculars, hence less light loss. Maybe the aperture size on ZEN ED2 does make a big difference. I really wish I had seen that $499 deal on a pair of SE and jumped on it.

Of course aperture size is the function of power and diameter of the objective lens. I have tested my SE 8x32 and Fl 8x32 against the Leupold 8x42 Internal focus Cascade several times at last light at rural landscapes. The Leupold does show a tiny bit more detail, but less field. Without an increase in power, the larger exit pupil (assuming comparable optics) should be brighter. When comparing the Nikon SE to the 'Zeiss Fl (same numbers) the Nikon edge is sharper, but the Zeiss has a slightly larger field. My eyes are incapable of discerning any difference because I don't see or look for CA.
I also do believe I lack the resolution ability I once had. John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back