• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slightly different bino question (1 Viewer)

FDC

I am trying to figure out what will work the best for my situation. Yes, I am new to this forum and realize the answer is probably already here somewhere but I cannot find it. I'll describe what I am after and leave it to you for your input. I visit an area frequently where I will scan the tops of trees, and lake shore looking for different species of birds. Once I have spotted something of interest I will then stalk to within a decent range to capture photos. Currently I am using the camera and lens to scan the area, this basically gives me a 10x view but is cumbersome and heavy. I really don't like to setup a tripod during this time as sometimes I need to move quickly. I would like to find a binocular that will allow me to scan the trees but not so heavy as I'll be carry heavy photo equipment. I realize the first thing most people will say is to go try some in the store. I don't have that option here, the only binoculars sold here are the complete bottom end junk. I will not be back in the states at least for another six months so I need to order them without trying first. Requirements: weight, waterproof, clarity, I don't have an idea for cost but figure top end to be 1k or so. I haven't purchased binoculars in several years and gave away my last pair to a friend when I moved here so I am outdated in my knowledge and a little overwhelmed by the choices now.
Thanks,
Fred

I am outdated in my knowledge and a little overwhelmed by the choices now.
You may be equally overwhelmed by the variety of answers you get here.

My suggestion would be the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. It's light, waterproof and ideal for watching birds in amongst foliage. The 6x magnification gives good depth of field and the fast focus knob makes focussing quick and easy. The same factors make it easy to follow birds in flight.

Michael

There are relativeley few 7x and lower models out there. Most of them will work. Most are porros, except some Yosemites and this Vortex
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-7x36-binocular
Some 8x models also give a wide field, most of them are 8x30.

Most of us shop mail order. Nearly all stores allow a 30 day trial. You should be able to shop mail order from US stores in Puerto Rico.

I use this model about 8-10 months. In the middle of winter I use a 10x42 only.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-sp-8x32-binocular

Last edited:
Hi Fred,
Welcome to Bird Forum!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/nikon.pl?page=nikon7505

Since you are already using a 10 power lens to scan with I suggest a 10 power binocular. Something like the one shown in the link above. It is in your price range and is compact and lightweight. Nikon has discontinued it but it is a top of the line binocular and originally was priced at about $1100.00. I have one and use it regularly and am very pleased with it. It is being replaced by the new 10 x 32 EDG which will cost about $1500.00! The dealer here, Camera Land NY, has an excellent reputation!

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance, I don't know what I am going to do yet. I could increase the budget if need be, but honestly would rather spend the money in camera glass. Tomorrow I'll look at the options you guys have recommended and try to decide on something.

Thanks for the guidance, I don't know what I am going to do yet. I could increase the budget if need be, but honestly would rather spend the money in camera glass. Tomorrow I'll look at the options you guys have recommended and try to decide on something.

Hola Fred,

$600 is probably more than you need to spend for a decent pair of "spotter" binoculars, if your main interest is in finding the birds so you can photograph them.

I'm also not sure a 10x32 (3.2 exit pupil, small cone of light entering your eye) will work well for you in the dense forest.

I've been to San Juan and as far as they would let me travel outside the city - to the edge of El Yunque National Forest, about 45 minutes away (I was on a company trip).

You are probably better off with larger aperture but still lightweight binoculars.

Check out eBay for Nikon 10x42 Monarch binoculars. They got a gazillion of them.

See which dealer ships to Puerto Rico or perhaps look for a Monarch in the camera stores down there (you will probably pay more in a store, but with shipping, it might come out the same as eBay).

Here's the eBay Monarchs:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2464&_nkw=10x42+Monarch&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14?_pgn=2

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Don't forget to consider durability. You will want to own them long enough to recoup your investment. Consider their warranty and the warranty service of the manufacturer. They will be generally unprotected and bumped around in your explorations around the rain forest, unlike your lenses. As Tero notes above, it's a good idea to get them from dealers who have 30 day right to return options. Most binocular problems will show up during that period.
Bob

Hola Fred,

$600 is probably more than you need to spend for a decent pair of "spotter" binoculars, if your main interest is in finding the birds so you can photograph them.

I'm also not sure a 10x32 (3.2 exit pupil, small cone of light entering your eye) will work well for you in the dense forest.

I've been to San Juan and as far as they would let me travel outside the city - to the edge of El Yunque National Forest, about 45 minutes away (I was on a company trip).

You are probably better off with larger aperture but still lightweight binoculars.

Check out eBay for Nikon 10x42 Monarch binoculars. They got a gazillion of them.

See which dealer ships to Puerto Rico or perhaps look for a Monarch in the camera stores down there (you will probably pay more in a store, but with shipping, it might come out the same as eBay).

Here's the eBay Monarchs:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2464&_nkw=10x42+Monarch&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14?_pgn=2

Good Luck!
Thanks brocknroller, I've never owned Nikon binos before, use Nikon camera equipment but not binos. Will they handle the punishment of rain, sun, and beating around they will get?
Also, be careful coming to PR for business. I came for a two week start up, stayed for ten month on that job. Now I've been here twelve years, and I don't miss winter at all!

another option might be the Leupold 7/12 switch power binos-scan with 7x, go up to 12x for a better view.

edj
Thanks edwin, I haven't owned the Leupold brand either, so I need to look closer at these.

Don't forget to consider durability. You will want to own them long enough to recoup your investment. Consider their warranty and the warranty service of the manufacturer. They will be generally unprotected and bumped around in your explorations around the rain forest, unlike your lenses. As Tero notes above, it's a good idea to get them from dealers who have 30 day right to return options. Most binocular problems will show up during that period.
Bob
Thanks Bob, I am looking at the ones Tero suggested, but also have the Steiner Peregrine line on the short list. Steiners are what I've owned in past and have been pleased with their performance, but just wanted to look at some options. With sale prices the Steiner fall into what I am willing to spend.

Okay guys, it's starting to rain here. Rainy days mean the Ospreys will be landing within camera range so I off to shoot some photos. I'll check back here later tonight as I want to order something this week. Thanks for all the help.

Fred,
I can add a PS to Brock's comments on the Nikon Monarch 10 x 42. It is a fine binocular for it's price. I have a good friend who has used one for 5 years and I've had the opportunity to compare it with my 10 x 32 LX L. Optically and structurally, the LX L is better, as it should be, considering the price difference. My friend's Monarch has an eyecup that won't stay up when extended but my friend wears glasses so that is not an issue for him and he never bothered to get the eye cup fixed by Nikon, although it would cost him at most only postage to do so. They weigh about the same, but the Monarch has more bulk. The LX L has a 30 foot wider field of view over 1000 yards than the Monarch which is not really significant but it also has a larger "sweet spot" in the middle of it's viewing field and sharper edges to the field. I can't comment on their relative brightness during twilight conditions as I have never compared them at that time of day but I have no complaints about my LX L's when I've had occasion to use them at twilight. Alternatively, as Brock mentions, some people are more comfortable using a binocular with a larger (4+ rather than 3+) exit pupil than others are, so trying them out personally is recommended here. An 8 x 42 with a 5.2 exit pupil might even be more comfortable and in all likely hood be brighter at twilight too.
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back