• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.7x teleconverter issue (1 Viewer)

gandytron

Dear All

I have both 1.4x II TC and a 1.7x II TC (Nikon brand)

The 1.4x works perfectly well with both my D7100 and my V1 on my 300mm f4 VR. However when I put the 1.7x on my D7100 the focus is much less reliable (but I have no problem with the V1).

Is this a case of needing to do some microadjustment/calibrating in the D7100 body?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dear All

I have both 1.4x II TC and a 1.7x II TC (Nikon brand)

The 1.4x works perfectly well with both my D7100 and my V1 on my 300mm f4 VR. However when I put the 1.7x on my D7100 the focus is much less reliable (but I have no problem with the V1).

Is this a case of needing to do some microadjustment/calibrating in the D7100 body?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Micro adjustment is definitely a good idea.
With a TC mounted any back/front focus issue can be more apparent,
since DOF will decrease.

Generally AF-performance/speed will decrease with any TC mounted since less light will
hit the AF-module.

On your D7100, only the center focus point supports AF at f-stops slower than f/5.6 and with the 1.7x TC you only get f6.3.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm

Last edited:
Still, it's amazing AF works with the 1.7 converter on the V1 and not the D7100.

Hermann

"That is why Nikon 1 is equipped with both a "focal plane phase-detection AF" superb for shooting fast action and a "contrast-detect AF" excellent for capturing subtle details in poorly lit areas."

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v1/features02.htm

AF is very good on Nikon 1, but the cameras and lenses are not cheap either.
D7100 don't have the contrast detect AF.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back