• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 and Tamron Bigon! (1 Viewer)

DaveJones

Hi guys, just went out and purchased this combo today. Just wondering if anyone else using the same finds it?

I went for the D7200 because of the crop factor and the 150-600 for the price, and a few good images ive found on the net. Upgrading from the bigma ive got, which ive found superb.

Would love to hear others experience with both the combo, and the tamron:t:

I will be watching this thread also. Have been waiting for the Nikon 200-500 to come off backorder to use with my D7200 but maybe will opt for this 150-600 lens. It's also $400 less. With rebate, now $999 at B&H Photo.

What are your thoughts on the 7200?
At the moment I have the 5100 but want to upgrade.
Is it as good as I think it is?

Right, the camera has arrived...just have to wait 7-10 days for the lens to be delivered. Once it does, i will test it with the camera and post my thoughts. TBH, looking at some of the images taken with this combo on flickr ect, then those thoughts should be favorable. However, its me taking the photos, so maybe not!

Not experienced with a wide range of cameras and am still in the category of amateur but went from the Nikon V1 to V3 mirrorless models and now the D7200. I really feel this has upped my game and have so far been very happy. Am currently about half way through the "D7200 for Dummies" which has provided a wealth of information.

Been using this set up for a few weeks now,this is a sample.

D7200
Tamron 150-600
320mm
f5.6
ISO 3200

Attachments

• DSC_2532.jpg
    DSC_2532.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 273
Pretty reasonable results for a BIF :t:

For the OP, (and others interested):-
Within the limitations of this gear, good to excellent results can be achieved - it will never realistically compete with pro full frame and prime super-telephoto setups, though in up to maybe ~20% or so of favourable conditions, results are somewhat comparable. The IQ of these Nikon APS-C sensors seems quite good within their best range of performance. I have the predecessor D7100 and the Tammy. I love the versatility of the extra 1.3x in-camera crop. I find it a very nice walk around rig in combination with a Black Rapid sling. Even with good light out here you really have to set your shots up to obtain best results, although I have some good shots so far where the rule book was thrown out! :cat:

One limitation of the 7100 is the small buffer which can seem at times to slow up after 4 shots or so - this can make staying locked on in focus difficult at times - the 7200 should largely fix this, and while 6fps will only give you certain limited wing positions for BIF shots, you'll also have a lot more money in your pocket and less load on your shoulders too!

So that leaves the limitations of the Tammy. It's surprising how much of a difference losing that half a stop of light from f5.6 to f6.3 makes, but it is substantial. The other biggie is the technique required of a ~1150mm eq lens. Any steps you can take to help (such as rested, or tripod mounting, timed shutter release, high shutter speeds, etc,) really pay-off. There have been reports of unit to unit IQ variation, so a cherry copy would be something to treasure. Regardless there is some softening beyond 500mm, and light permitting, stopping down to f7.1, or f8 often seems to help.

Get out there, practice and enjoy :t:

Chosun :gh:

Well, B&H sent me a note that the Sigma 150-600 was now down to $989.00 so I punched the button. Merry Christmas to me. It should arrive on Monday.

Right, the camera has arrived...just have to wait 7-10 days for the lens to be delivered. Once it does, i will test it with the camera and post my thoughts. TBH, looking at some of the images taken with this combo on flickr ect, then those thoughts should be favorable. However, its me taking the photos, so maybe not!

I am well impressed with this combo!

Attachments

• DSC_0119 b.jpg
    DSC_0119 b.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_1177.jpg
    DSC_1177.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 176
you will find the D7200 noisy, (I would say very noisy), for small birds ........ especially as you need to crop

I expected and improvement over the D7100, I was disappointed ........ my D750 produces far better results when cropped down to the same size, (a bigger crop is needed because of the x 1.5 DX sensor), than the D7200

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back