• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

....and one more, Jackdaw juv which spent the morning annoying the hell out of its parents with the whole feed me now routine!

Attachments

• jackjuv1.jpg
    jackjuv1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 90
  • jackjuv2.jpg
    jackjuv2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 79
  • jackjuv3.jpg
    jackjuv3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 85
Buzzard this is some impressive work here. Love the spotted redshank, its a
real shame it didnt hang around.
Buzzard I checked out your blog spot and was also impressed with your
digiscoped images . I also use a Lieca 77 but dont get anything like
the quality your getting, wondering what I'm doin wrong?
keep showing the sketches they are top quality.

I commented too soon! There's more. Your observational skills are effing brilliant, I wish I could get the bird right with just one clean line as you do, top stuff.

Good things certainly come to those who wait here Alan! Excellent work, the wren is stunning and also outstanding for me are the spotshank, juvie jackdaw and that green sand is perfect.

Woody

Sandemar

Out for just a few hours to check on the Reserve at Sandemar, waders in evidence including a nice male Ruff in moult, 3 knot still in summer garb which would not settle. Managed some flight sketches, one of which I am very happy with...Ringed plover as always a great bird to draw.

Attachments

• abcruff.jpg
    abcruff.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 93
  • abcknot1.jpg
    abcknot1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 98
  • abcknot2.jpg
    abcknot2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 92
  • abcrp.jpg
    abcrp.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 103
Passerines from Sandemar, small portrait of Spotted Flycatcher, everywhere at the moment here and a wing flicking Whinchat who mobbed me for a while to get me off his turf! Brought out the cartoonist in me, couldnt resist his antics!

Off to work in a few hours but have Thursday and the weekend off, planning to get a lot done then. Thanks for the kind comments left here, has helped me to get out again today.

Attachments

• abcspotfly.jpg
    abcspotfly.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 109
  • abcwhinmale.jpg
    abcwhinmale.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
As usual I am in awe. That whinchat is fantastic, I wish it were in my sketchbook (as is the case for all of them!)

Some brilliant detailed sketching the last few days buzzard, you certainly know your birds (and no slouch at technique either.)

Woefully horrible work. I can't imagine you'd be wanting to keep any of these dreadful drawings, you may as well stick them on some w*nky auction site.
Er, but to save you the trouble of listing fees and the like I'll happily take them off your hands and, er, dispose of them satisfactorally.
(a brief translation may read: stop fecking about, get a bit of colour thrown on one or two of these and get a sell-out exhibition organised!!! - it's just WAITING for you!

The last few. Wheatear male, very quick sketch this one. Using A3 cartridge pad today which was brilliant as it encourages you to work freely and on a larger scale. Was not so bothered to finish drawings and got a lot more done than normal just sitting in one spot and drawing what came to me rather than running around looking for that better bird and not getting anything done! Lapwing male, also very rough and female Whinchat also.

A bit late, but I wanted to say that I love the Whinchat's feet! As one who consistently messes up feet (I'm mean sketching them!), I think you've got these about perfect, and I am jealous!

Dave

Alan , Superb Sketching you have a great eye and technique.
I absolutly love the Winchat. The flying Knots are wonderful as
well. You seem to be in a great birding spot too.

Its so invigerating getting good feedback and definately spurs one
on to get out into the field again,
looking forward to that show!!

Feel guilty, its a Wryneck again. The minute I spotted it feeding on a clay bank I thought of young Derry scouring the green fields of Bescanson looking for the very critter! As it went on to sunbathe I felt a tinge of remorse. An hour later its still in front of me preening and I know there is no justice in the world. Sorry Nick but here she is from this morning....
Woodlark first. Then the star of the show.

Attachments

• awoodlark.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • awryfeeding.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • awryportrait.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • awrypreening.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back