• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Okay, realised the error of my ways, didn't change images to jpeg's, here they are....

Attachments

• awoodlark.jpg
    awoodlark.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 98
  • awryfeeding.jpg
    awryfeeding.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 99
  • awryportrait.jpg
    awryportrait.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 110
  • awrypreening.jpg
    awrypreening.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 125
I don't like wrynecks, wrynecks are bad, wrynecks are evil, an anagram of wryneck is 'evil, horrible bird'. I shall have to come and take your biros away until the French wrynecks become as cooperative as some of the Swedish ones.

Mind you, even if I had a model as obliging as that one, I doubt my attempt would even come close to these drawings, excellent!

Woefully horrible work. I can't imagine you'd be wanting to keep any of these dreadful drawings, you may as well stick them on some w*nky auction site.
Er, but to save you the trouble of listing fees and the like I'll happily take them off your hands and, er, dispose of them satisfactorally.
(a brief translation may read: stop fecking about, get a bit of colour thrown on one or two of these and get a sell-out exhibition organised!!! - it's just WAITING for you!

Getting your point here Tim;)

Really should get my finger out and start painting, its just that I cant help wanting to be out in the field when I have time off! To stay indoors seems almost sacreligeous... Having said that you are of course right and I will just have to make the time.
Perhaps ought to develop insomnia as per Mr. Derry, seems to help...
Going to organize a car this winter, need to get my license, then i can throw the lot in the boot and go paint in the field. Something I have wanted to do for years...

I don't like wrynecks, wrynecks are bad, wrynecks are evil, an anagram of wryneck is 'evil, horrible bird'. I shall have to come and take your biros away until the French wrynecks become as cooperative as some of the Swedish ones.

QUOTE]

....from my cold dead hands;)

as usual I am late seeing these threads so there is nothing left for me to say.....If I was'nt so inspired by the work on this forum I would probably pack up sketching birds seeing work like this. What can I say Alan that has'nt been said! Oh yea as Tim says get your finger out.

Phil.

I love picture 2. I am also one of these Wryneck-less people. I can add that bird to Hoopoe and shrike (any species) as personal 'blockers'.

I have seen two wrynecks now, but both have been very fleeting when they did show and never enough to sketch, even though I'd been waiting for it to show for ages while it constantly gave its 'kin kin kin kin' One day, one day, hopefully very soon!

I have seen two wrynecks now, but both have been very fleeting when they did show and never enough to sketch, even though I'd been waiting for it to show for ages while it constantly gave its 'kin kin kin kin' One day, one day, hopefully very soon!

Have found that if you can come across them feeding and you dont push them they are very confiding. I usually find them where there are ants on either bare rock or clay. They also enjoy sunshine and love to bask. The young are out of the nest about now too which is a good time to try track them down, good luck!

Have found that if you can come across them feeding and you dont push them they are very confiding. I usually find them where there are ants on either bare rock or clay. They also enjoy sunshine and love to bask. The young are out of the nest about now too which is a good time to try track them down, good luck!

Maybe I should take the bike down to where I saw the last one and hope!

Sandemar Reserve again, that autumn buzz is starting to happen now in a big way. Young Cormarant sketched first to loosen up the arm! Hen Harrier gave me great views from the bird tower as it quartered up and down. Adult Temminck's Stint was interesting to me as it was in moult. also Wood Sandpiper, a lot of them about now, amazing how slightly built they are!

Sorry about the blue cast, cool evening light has done that, but as they are black and white doesnt really affect the images...

Attachments

• acormarant.jpg
    acormarant.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 120
  • aHenHarrier.jpg
    aHenHarrier.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 140
  • ahenH.jpg
    ahenH.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 127
  • atemmincks.jpg
    atemmincks.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 131
  • awoodsand.jpg
    awoodsand.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 134
Thumbnail for painting here. Going to combine curlew sandpiper sketches posted here a week ago with yesterdays Wood Sandpiper sketch. Will make the wood sand a little smaller in the painting and move it a little to the right, walking out of frame. General tones blocked in on the canvas very roughly.

Attachments

• acolourthumb.jpg
    acolourthumb.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 137
  • athumb.jpg
    athumb.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 163
wow and wow, I wish I could draw as strongly as that. (Well, I CAN draw that strongly - but it looks crap when I do) Looking forward to seeing your 'shroud of Turin' develop, a Wood Sand staring back at me is a lot better than Jesus IMO.

wow and wow, I wish I could draw as strongly as that. (Well, I CAN draw that strongly - but it looks crap when I do) Looking forward to seeing your 'shroud of Turin' develop, a Wood Sand staring back at me is a lot better than Jesus IMO.

'Shroud of Turin' is not a bad metaphor. Just hope that something good materializes out of the murk!
Off now to wipe my face and get into work... will have a few hours to work on this tomorrow!

Painting progress...

Got a bit done on the latest painting today, blocked in bulk of colour and tones. I usually work rather quickly at this stage but have to hold myself back as I can throw too much paint and colour on so easily at this point! Just love throw heavy paint on! any how, wilpost more as it moves along...
This one wil be a challenge, will have to get the darker tones in on the rock next, reflections going to be a bugger!
Detail of the Curlew Sandpipers fist, then the whole canvas as it is now. Going to hold off on adding the Green Sandpiper for the moment as I am not sure it adds greatly to the composition and I am worried it may look too crowded if added....

Attachments

• aacurlewsandcloseup.jpg
    aacurlewsandcloseup.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 130
  • aacurlewsandpainting1.jpg
    aacurlewsandpainting1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back