• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade Suet (1 Viewer)

Rapala

I'm planning on saving fat drippings from cooking and make them into suet cakes (with other ingredients, ie- sunflower seeds, peanut butter, etc.). Is there anything I should avoid, being hazardous to the bird's health? I'm sure some of you guys have done it before, but I'm just getting into it. Thanks

You might want to read this:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/359634-...acebook&utm_content=killerfat&utm_campaign=pr

Fat from cooking is bad for birds. The problem with cooked fat from roasting tins and dishes is that the meat juices have blended with the fat and when allowed to set, this consistency makes it prone to smearing, not good for birds' feathers. It is a breeding ground for bacteria, so potentially bad for birds' health. Salt levels depend on what meat is used and if any salt is added during cooking.

Lard and beef suet on their own are fine as they re-solidify after warming and as they are pure fat, it is not as suitable for bacteria to breed on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back