• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I hate Windows7 (2 Viewers)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to search for a particular bird in the pictures that are on my computer?

I have no idea - sorry! My little experience with Windows 7 on a friends computer (she asks me to help her out - and my input is embarrassingly slow!). You see, I'm so used to XP and its layout that W7 just baffles me and I find it pretty irritating - everything I am used to doing is in a different place - which after being friends with XP logic is aghhhh!

I suppose I'm going to have to go through a whole new learning process to become adept on W7 eventually - but I'm putting it off as long as possible - time is short anyway!

Good luck!

I hate 7 too! Have been using it for a couple months, and spent good deal of time searching the Internet for ways to make it work like XP. The only thing I like about it that was not in XP (as far as I know) is the ability to have a desktop with rotating photos. Seems that as software becomes more mature new versions just make changes rather than improvements. I guess software companies have to continue generating revenue somehow.

Jim

I have quite an aversion to W7 - never liked vista either. XP was as good as I needed it to be. Now I've got W7 I find when I type something into the search engine it clears before I hit the enter key because its so busy uploading rubbish I don't need. Its slower than XP for me. Plus more stuff but hey ho..

Me, I quite liked Windows 3.1 (once I'd got used to it). Mind you, my all-time favourite OS was VAX/VMS - it did exactly what you asked it to do, no more, no less.

I'm about nodding off but that looks interesting and I will check tomorrow if it can be downloaded directly to my kindle. That would be very cool ;) Thanks Andy.

I use the search box (top right hand corner) in the the picture library when looking for pictures.

Gwynn (who quite likes windows 7)

I must be odd I really like windows 7. I custom built my PC and work with PCs daily. In fact I work for HP here in Boise Idaho and would like to offer my HP discount to my fellow birding friends, Call HP's 888-999-4747 Home and home office store and just ask for the friends and family discount. Just mention my name Doug Stump and you will get my EPP prices. I don't make a dime off this it's just my way of saying hello to everyone here and sharing a nice discount for everyone here.

More 'free' info regarding the W7 Search is available at the cost of signing up for a (sometimes useful) free weekly newsletter at Windows Secrets.

This month, O’Reilly Media is providing all Windows Secrets subscribers an excerpt from the book: Chapter 3, Searching & Organizing Your Files. It covers how to use Windows Search, moving and copying files, and burning CDs and DVDs from the Windows 7 desktop.

If you’d like to download this free excerpt, simply visit your preferences page and save any changes; a download link will appear.

No need to fill in any CC info, the free subscription is enough to get this.

Bumping this thread again ;) due to the topic title, rather than the original query.

I've just noticed a new e-publication from someone I've a lot of time for, no connections except that we both give a lot of free time trying to help out fellow computer users.

Configure the Windows 7 "To Work" Options started out as a set of notes we here at ProDigital Software have been accumulating for years to help us quickly set up our own Windows systems and get them to where they are lean, stable, and useful.

By the time we had accumulated nearly 100 pages of setup and tuning information it occurred to us that this amazing collection of tips, tricks, and tweaks could be valuable to anyone looking to get the most out of their Microsoft® Windows® 7 installation, so we have made it available to you!

You may not wish to do everything we suggest here, but there just may be some tweaks we've found that you just can't live without!

What makes this guide special is that we include not only "how to" information, but also "why you might want to" descriptions, as well as how to reverse the changes.

If you've ever wanted to get the best possible performance and stability out of a Windows 7 system, you NEED this guide!

Published as an inexpensive eBook in all the popular formats.

Price: $4.99 USD. 16770 words.

No, I've not read it (except for the short preview at the site) but, having read a large number of online postings by the author, this should be a very useful ebook for many W7 users or those considering the move to W7.

Have you tried the freeware 'Everything'? So long as you have named the file with the bird's name, it will find it, even on different connected drives.
http://www.voidtools.com/

Windows 7 has been excellent for the two years I've been using it, far better than OSX I used before.

Have you tried the Picasa for Windows desktop client? Not the web albums but the actual photo management software that's free. You can download it at www.picasa.com.

Once you set it up to read your entire hard disk & all plugged in external disks, you can then classify or tag the photos in batches according to species, families & whatever else you want to name it with. Then by just typing 'bird' (or whatever tags) you will have all photos tagged as 'bird' appear in your software. I'm on a Mac & I don't think iPhoto comes close to this fast & brilliant Picasa app. I use it to sort the tons of photos I have across many external disks that I own & it doesn't matter if you are on Windows!

i agree with KC,I cannot fathom W.7 for photos,I make a folder ,with a name,but Windows 7 sorts them out in the it wants to,XP leaves them in the folder as I named it.I am thinking of having XP downloaded onto the Windows 7 laptop.

i agree with KC,I cannot fathom W.7 for photos,I make a folder ,with a name,but Windows 7 sorts them out in the it wants to,XP leaves them in the folder as I named it.I am thinking of having XP downloaded onto the Windows 7 laptop.

Can we do that? That would be great if we could.

It might be worth checking how you have the "arrange by" set (top right of the pictures library) as it sounds like you might not have it set to folder.

Gwynn

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back