• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

The Merlin

Does anybody have any tips on how to attract Red-bellied or Downy Woodpeckers(I suppose species doesn't really matter that much) to nest??? I'm currently trying to fill Woodpecker box to the hole with sawdust and have made special Boxes that are 15" Tall and 5 1/2 inches sides. Are there any others things to increase my chances of have them nest???

They sleep in my Boxes, but didn't nest last year??? Not from lack of interest though, as they were constantly inspecting boxes and even seemed to be fighting over a box with a pair of Great Crest Flycatchers(Flycatchers won).

I am in the same boat here. We have new houses and sawdust... Downeys do not make their own hole so that is ok... we have had them here in our bird houses, but I suspect that they use them more for shelter then for nesting... but again we try this year .. new places for the houses and more sawdust... if anyone has some more suggestions I would be delighted to hear them too.

woodies

Can't say a thing about houses as we have none in this part of the country, just trees, .lots of pine trees which they seem to love. They do come to my cornbread feeders. The red-bellies seem to enjoy eating it with fruit and nuts along with the cornbread.
wanda

If you want to attract a Downey to a Downey Birdhouse, hang a suet feeder filled with Peanut Treat suet close to the downey House(well,not too close).

Some Downeys love a House and others wouldn't think of living there. They may hang out in it,but won't nest there. So you have to put it to the test and see if you can attract one willing to nest.

The Downeys coming here sleep on the feeder and I spend time guarding them so no other birds will disturb their Siesta:t:

Attachments

• maledowney.jpg
    maledowney.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 194
The Merlin,

Location,Location,Location! Birding and RealEstate,it is the most important selling point;)

Merlin, this is what the Ortho book says about the eating pref. of Downys.......

Food. A Downy Woodpecker's diet is primarily grubs,insects,and eggs from the bark of trees. It also eats nuts and berries. Feeding stations with suet,peanut butter,and sunflower seeds attract these these birds.

The suet that I have had the most success with is available at Walmart. It is C&S Wild Bird Specialty Products and is called Peanut Treat. It has Rendered Beef Suet,Roast. Peanuts,Peanut Flavoring,Corn and Oats. I have had better results by cutting the sut into 4 pieces before putting them in the feeder.

So much for book learning verses Real life observation at your feeder.

I have used the same kind of suet from Walmart, and the downies love it. Another kind that I have had success with is found at Wild Birds Unlimited, and contains insect pieces (I can't remember the product name).

OH! OH! Insect pieces. I have looked and looked to see if there was such a thing on the market.I could only find Gourmet Bugs for people. I was tempted to try them out on birds, but some of the coatiings sounded as though they were not fit for man or Birds and the price wasn't fit either;)

I will check out Wild Birds Unlimited. They are a little pricy on some things,but definitely have the quality that makes for great products.

Thanks Dan,I will try some soon,er, I mean the Birds will:)

bug bites is the name of the suet lubird my redbelly and chickadee likes it but my downys like my pnut buter mix best its just plain pnutbutter and i crush nutst put some greas in it a little corn mill to make it thick and smear on a log but try the bug bites to

My that sounds delicious Oldbird. I will try that too! My Downys are going to love me!!!!!!! I think I might try sticking some insects in that mixture too!

I'm sorry for my ignorance,but what is a corn mill? Do you mean corn meal?

I have downeys, hairys, red-bellies, and flickers here. They all eat the home made suet I offer. Equal amounts of lard and chunky PB, cornmeal to thicken, (unsalted) peanut halves, and anything else extra I may have uncooked oats, cranberries, raisins, apples, etc. If you offer the store bought it may take a little while for them to try the new, but now if I put store bought out none eat it, only starlings. It ends up costing about the same in the long run and stays in the fridge. All the other birds in the yard eat it also.

Sometimes I use salted peanuts,in/out of the shell. I have seen many Birders put in(unsalted). I used to rinse the peanuts in water before putting them out,but when I don't take the time to do it, the birds don't seem to mind either way. I haven't observed any ill effects from the salt and I have been thinking lately meybe the salt is a benfit to them in some way?

The only woodpeckers that I get at my feeder are Red-bellied woodpeckers. They just eat the seed I put out.

Back to the topic, does anybody have ANY tips on how to attract woodpeckers to nest???;)

I too have wondered about the salted peanuts. I've never read or heard anything to suggest that there is any harm that could come from using the salteds, but I've always felt nervous about using them nonetheless. I can't think of any harm that could come from this, except maybe giving the birds high blood pressure...

Oh No Dan! My husband Jim is on Lipitor for Heart trouble. Really, we can't afford to start buying High Blood Pressure medicine for the Birds too,much as I love them;))) Peanut prices are soaring too! I am buying more salted than unsalted peanuts because the Peanuts went up to $1.49lb. in local food stores,and are only 99 cents a lb.at Sam's Club.

OK! OK! The Merlin, I won't post again so the thread can stay open for the original topic. Sorry!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back