• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Natural England/Laser deterrent against birds

I was browsing my home newspaper online yesterday and came across this article:http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/las...gull-problem/story-22738862-detail/story.html

My first thoughts were immediately focused on
1. indiscriminate/thoughtless use
2. displacement of flocks, especially if a number of these are in use in close proximity of each other
3. implications for other 'nuisance' species, if these are really already in use on farms.

The lack of need for a licence and, therefore, accountability is surely of concern?

Margaret

Started at the Moors where 2 Little Egrets were showing, around 15 Swift in large hirundine flock as we left. 6 Common Tern here also.
Down at the flashes, 2 juv-1W Med Gulls in, an unringed bird at 7:15, and then the ringed bird at 7:30. 1 Dunlin, 1 LRP, 1 Common Sand, 10c Green Sand, 300c Lapwing, 8 Avocet. 2 Shelduck, 22 Curlew.

Reproduced below is an article John wrote for the 2009 annual report summarising the find:

Montagu’s Harrier – second occurrence for the reserve - 15th August 2009 By John Belsey

Weather: cloudy, south-west windy force 4.
Following a 5:40am start at the Flashes, which included a Black-tailed Godwit and Wood Sandpiper, the winds freshened and the clouds intensified. Although the wind was still from the south west there was definitely a “feel” of some movement, reinforced by the appearance of a Yellow Wagtail. On the North Hill House Martins were showing as the sun rose. I kept checking their numbers every few minutes as this was a less than numerous species this year. Whether by luck or fate I was drawn back to the impressive numbers which were also spreading to the sewage works. At 7:40am the scattered flock suddenly became a tight mass of 80 to 100 birds as “panic” set in, grouping just above the hill to the east of the hawthorn covered telegraph pole. Thinking a Hobby or Sparrowhawk had appeared, I casually scanned for the cause of the panic. What greeted me took my breath away as a “V” wing-shaped raptor rose above the hill approx 450 to 500 metres away. The first views were of a long narrow-winged, narrow tailed raptor; the high “V” of the wings instantly identified it as a harrier. I quickly shouted to Phil Andrews and the other birder (Brian Richardson). Its buoyant flight forced me to shout “MONTY’S”. I gathered my thoughts and assembled a description.

The black primaries and the generally mid-grey upper parts were the first colours noticed. The flappy wing action (buoyant) might have been accentuated by the reasonably strong south-west wind as the bird rose above the hill. The underwing revealed lines on the coverts and the primaries looked black, or at least the outer five or so did. As the bird banked and circled the white rump contrasted with the darker long thin tail which was a pale grey colour, but flying at an angle when the sun struck the tail and rump appeared all very pale (probably a trick of the light). As the bird drifted off and north-west the sun was less intense and the upperparts revealed an obvious contrast between the darker grey mantle and coverts with the paler grey trailing edge. The primary coverts were also paler grey and accentuated the black primaries effect.

The following notations were included with the sketches in John’s note book and/or the hide’s log book:-
• General jizz – a very long slender-winged, long-tailed bird.
• Features include a white rump, black primaries, grey uppers darker on the coverts. Underwing coverts edged dark on a pale background, black primaries.
• Pale secondaries and greater primary coverts contrasting with darker grey forewing
• Grey head, whitish belly. From underneath the body was grey and slender
• In flight weak flaps, almost bobbing from side to side
• Buoyant flight with very long narrow wings, tail appeared very long and narrow, white rump, grey tail.
sounds like a buzzard to me. 3:)

Dave J reports from the Flashes:

8 Avocet (6 juvs), male Redstart, juv Mediterranean Gull, 2 juv Dunlin, 3 Green Sandpipers, 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 LRP

2 Little Egret and shed loads of Little Grebe on the Moors Pool.

Juv Med Gull (metal ringed) into the Flashes at 6:20pm

Last edited:
:t:To the kind person who keeps leaving there McDonald`s drink cartons in the concrete hide. you have now left 3 I don't think anybody wants them maybe best not to leave anymore:t:

survey starts Tomorrow

Don't forgot, Tomorrow the 2 day survey starts at the Flashes from 9am

The following from the Trust
Week commencing August 18th

and subject to weather.

Botanists will be surveying the site to see how the nature reserve is evolving and changing in response to:

Water level management

Grazing

Cutting of vegetation

Subsidence
We apologise for any inconvenience if your viewing is disrupted. Please do visit the other half of the reserve—the Moors pools.

If you would like any further information please contact the Trust on 01905 754919 or email [email protected]

Andy Harris

Sunday 17th August 1530-2045

A brisk westerly kept most passerines' heads down but still a few bits and pieces:

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret, 5 Grey Heron, 2 Cormorant, 2 adult + 6 juv Mute Swan, 133 Canada Geese, 3 Greylag Geese, 14 Moorhen, 158 Coot, 115 Mallard, 7 Teal, 3 Shoveler, c25 Tufted Duck, 4 LBB Gull, c70 BH Gull, 7 Common Tern (2 fresh juvs, 2 older juvs + 3 adults), GC Grebe - 2 adults, 2 juveniles + at least 2 young, Little Grebe - 10 adults, 10 fledged juveniles (tight flock of 14 birds at one point), 2 young at North end + 2 new young on the Broadmeadow (triple brooding? :eek!:), Swift, Kingfisher, Cetti's Warbler, good numbers of small birds along the shelter of the east path including 8+ phylloscs (Paul C thought he had a lemony yelllow one)and juv Bullfinch.

SAILING POOL
More "management work" to the shoreline vegetation
8 Coot, 2 adult + 2 juv GC Grebe, c30 Mallard

FLASHES - water level 0.42
2 juv Dunlin, juv LRP, c275 Lapwing, 2 adult + 6 young Avocet, 2 adult + 1 juvenile Oystercatcher, 4 Snipe, 2 Common Sand, 5 Green Sand, 23 Curlew, 2 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall, c150 Mallard, 28 Teal, juv Shoveler, 2+ young Tufted Duck on third Flash, 25 Coot, 25 Moorhen, 23 Greylag Geese, 2 Raven, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine causing mayhem in the roost - took but dropped a BH Gull off the third Flash, 3 Common Tern (adult, older juv, fresh juv) roosted.
Gull roost - 1200 BH Gull, 1 Herring Gull (third summer), 6 LBB Gull (4 adult and 2 first summer), 2 juv Med Gulls (metal ringed bird in at 6:20pm, dark legged bird in at 7:40pm - I am happy this was the same bird as last Sunday)

Some Med Gull photos to follow

First Med in tonight with the metal leg ring - also note pale at base of bill and paler leg colour

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 60
Second Med in tonight - these photos don't do it justice but jet black legs and bill

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 70
Aside from the McD cups (which incidentally aren't mine!) I did manage to leave behind a Manfrotto monopod in the concrete hide this evening, just in case anyone has happened to find it
Thanks

A brisk westerly kept most passerines' heads down but still a few bits and pieces:

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret, 5 Grey Heron, 2 Cormorant, 2 adult + 6 juv Mute Swan, 133 Canada Geese, 3 Greylag Geese, 14 Moorhen, 158 Coot, 115 Mallard, 7 Teal, 3 Shoveler, c25 Tufted Duck, 4 LBB Gull, c70 BH Gull, 7 Common Tern (2 fresh juvs, 2 older juvs + 3 adults), GC Grebe - 2 adults, 2 juveniles + at least 2 young, Little Grebe - 10 adults, 10 fledged juveniles (tight flock of 14 birds at one point), 2 young at North end + 2 new young on the Broadmeadow (triple brooding? :eek!:), Swift, Kingfisher, Cetti's Warbler, good numbers of small birds along the shelter of the east path including 8+ phylloscs (Paul C thought he had a lemony yelllow one)and juv Bullfinch.

http://www.birdcare.com/bin/showdict?phyllosc.

oh thats what it is......:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back