Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 13th November 2017, 15:34   #51
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Dennis, post 48,
I found a transmission of a little over 77% at 550 nm in a sample from 2013 , published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. After discussions about it on this forum I measured a newer sample in may 2016 and in that sample the transmission at 550 nm is 88,7% still quite a bit below the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 and the Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, which have a 95-96%transmission at that wavelength and, if your eyes are allright you should be able to observe that difference as a difference in brightness. That is extensively discussed on this forum, but if it is still confusing I will add that information.
Gijs van Ginkel
Still I find it strange that Allbino's tested the EII in October of 2013 and got an 89% transmission and you got 77%. Those two tested EII's would have to be pretty close in year of production. This is very illuminating!(Play on words). I never realized there was that huge of a transmission difference between a 2013 EII and a 2016 EII or could you have gotten a bad sample? Nikon must have made some big changes in coatings in those 3 years and you better make sure when you buy one that yours is the new improved version. Interesting! Now how do we date our EII's by the S/N? If your EII is older than 4 years you are saying it could be a dud.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Monday 13th November 2017 at 15:39.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 16:23   #52
Gijs van Ginkel

Dennis, post 51,
I do not know how old the the sample was of which I measured the transmission spectrum in 2013 (or it may have been a lemon), the one measured in 2016 was probably younger looking at the lack of user traces on that binocular.
For your information: I am now measuring different types of Leitz Trinovids 7x35 and the transmission differences are quite a lot depending on the year of production, so that can also be the case for the EII, but I have not done a systematic study of the EII.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 17:03   #53
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Speer View Post
So Nikon has improved the transmission of the EII over the years?
Here is what Nikon's transmission on their best binoculars is like now. They are doing pretty good. I don't know how far back it goes and the transmissions of Nikon's numerous binoculars will be different.

But it is helpful to know that over the years Nikon binoculars have generally had their highest transmission showing percentages in the high 80s and low 90s from the middle of the light spectrum through the red section. Over that time Swarovski has always tried to have their highest numbers showing percentages in the high 80s and low 90s from the beginning of the ultra-violet/violet end of the light spectrum into the middle.

You have to keep that in mind while discussing the comparative transmissions of their older Porro prisms.

A high transmission in the ultraviolet/violet range of the light spectrum is preferred by many people although over all the best transmission is a relatively straight line across the full color of the spectrum with percentages averaging from the high 80s through the low 90s.

Here are 2 Allbinos reviews of the top Swarovski and Nikon 10x42 binoculars showing their 2 different spectrums:

Scroll to the bottom of each review to see them.

https://www.allbinos.com/223-binocul...arovision.html

https://www.allbinos.com/215-binocul...10x42_EDG.html

When the line averages 90% straight across, they are all bright!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 13th November 2017 at 17:20.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th November 2017, 17:25   #54
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Dennis, post 51,
I do not know how old the the sample was of which I measured the transmission spectrum in 2013 (or it may have been a lemon), the one measured in 2016 was probably younger looking at the lack of user traces on that binocular.
For your information: I am now measuring different types of Leitz Trinovids 7x35 and the transmission differences are quite a lot depending on the year of production, so that can also be the case for the EII, but I have not done a systematic study of the EII.
Gijs van Ginkel
What I would like to see is some transmission data on the new Leica 7x35 Trinovid and the new Swarovski 8x30 CL's when they become available. I am sure a lot of members would be very interested in how these newer binoculars with the improved coatings perform compared to the older Leitz Trinovids 7x35. My new Nikon 8x30 EII has a S/N 821025. I wonder when it was made? Good point Ceasar. Nikon's always favor the red spectrum and Swarovski's are in the ultra violet/ violet. Neither is wrong.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Monday 13th November 2017 at 17:43.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 20:13   #55
maico

You can compare the transmission rates of the Nikon 10x42 SE and old Zeiss Victory FL taken from a German bird magazine here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....ive+test+10x42

You can compare the resolution in arc sec. of the Zeiss HT 8x42 here from a German hunting magazine. Note the L/R barrel discrepancy ! (The lower the figure the better)

Zeiss HT 3.02 / 4.92
Leica Ultravid HD 3.33 / 3.33
Swarovski Swarovision EL 8.5 x 42 WB 3.81 / 3.81
Nikon EDG 4,29 / 4,29

http://translate.google.sk/translate...3Dsk&sandbox=1

Last edited by maico : Tuesday 14th November 2017 at 21:32.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 01:21   #56
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
You can compare the transmission rates of the Nikon 10x42 SE and old Zeiss Victory FL taken from a German bird magazine here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....ive+test+10x42

You can compare the resolution in arc sec. of the Zeiss HT 8x42 here from a German hunting magazine. Note the L/R barrel discrepancy ! (The lower the figure the better)

Zeiss HT 3.02 / 4.92
Leica Ultravid HD 3.33 / 3.33
Swarovski Swarovision EL 8.5 x 42 WB 3.81 / 3.81
Nikon EDG 4,29 / 4,29

http://translate.google.sk/translate...3Dsk&sandbox=1
I think so many optical acuity surveys will really have some weight, just as soon as we have a way to factor in: cataracts, early onset glaucoma, wrinkles and tears in the macula/retina, mild strabismus, floaters, quantity placement and sensitivity of rods and cones, etc. Until then, we’re stacking BBs.

Bill
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 04:07   #57
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
I think so many optical acuity surveys will really have some weight, just as soon as we have a way to factor in: cataracts, early onset glaucoma, wrinkles and tears in the macula/retina, mild strabismus, floaters, quantity placement and sensitivity of rods and cones, etc. Until then, we’re stacking BBs.

Bill
Your right. The acuity surveys just show what is possible with young, perfect eyes. Most of us aren't perfect so you don't want to select a binocular based solely on transmission and resolution tests. The surveys can help us choose a binocular but what really matters is how they work for your eyes. The L/R barrel discrepancy in a high end binocular like the Zeiss HT just shows you there can be a lot of sample variation even in expensive binoculars. Try before you buy and don't even assume an alpha level binocular is perfect from the manufacturer.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 04:15.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 07:43   #58
BruceH

Dennis ...... Do you know your own corrected visual acuity? (20/20, 20/22, 20/18, etc). Is this from your own testing or from an eye exam? My distance vision has actually improved with age. Getting older is not all bad!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:40   #59
WJC

As we age, our irises lose their elasticity and won't open as wide as they once did. When the pupil is more constricted, the focal ratio of the eye gets larger. Larger focal ratios reduce aberrations and improve clarity ... barring the effects of so many other anomalies.

Bill

Last edited by WJC : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 16:44.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:44   #60
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
As we age, our irises lose their elasticity and won't open as wide as they once did. When the pupil is more constricted, the focal ratio of the eye gets larger. Larger focal ratios reduce aberrations and improve clarity ... barring the effects of so many other anomalies.

Bill
Just like an optical instrument such as a telescope? Interesting.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:45   #61
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Dennis ...... Do you know your own corrected visual acuity? (20/20, 20/22, 20/18, etc). Is this from your own testing or from an eye exam? My distance vision has actually improved with age. Getting older is not all bad!
I had Lasik surgery on my eyes years ago and they have stayed at 20/20 by my own testing. When you get older there is AMD, Cataracts, and Glaucoma to worry about though.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 16:51.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 16:50   #62
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
Just like an optical instrument such as a telescope? Interesting.
Bingo! A YOUNG dark-adapted eye might open to ~f/4. In sunlight, it might get stopped down to around f/11. Let's say the eye is just over 1 inch in diameter—say 27.4mm and the eye is (in bright light) stopped to 2.5mm. 27.4mm divided by 2.5mm = f/10.96

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by WJC : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 19:42.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: