• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow? Dorset Coast (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

Hi All,

So, walking along the Purbeck coast, more or less at Dancing Ledge and saw a large (at least twice as big as a Sand Martin), swift/swallow/martin shaped bird. Continuous flying around cliff area, swooping low, twisting turning etc (as if feeding). Seen middayish in bright clear sunshine. Upperparts all dark - almost black, with no variation on rump. Front, light with reddish/orange tinge. No neck band. Tail long - much more Swallow than Martin...

Any ideas what this might be? Doesn't seem to match anything in my books, but I'm fairly new to all this.

Any help gratefully recived.

Thanks.

They have made it to the middle of England , 3 over Cookham ( Odney Common ) this afternoon !

Ashley

Thanks everybody... Have had a good look at as many pics as I can find on the web and it does seem as if Barn Swallow fits what I saw... How likely is this - aren't they pretty rare?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back