• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D50 Big Lense (1 Viewer)

JTF

TAMRON 200-500MM F5.0-6.3 DI,NIK AF
vs
SIGMA 50-500MM F4-6.3 EX DG NIKON

Have it narrowed down to two lenses for birding, any comments on which one to get they are almost the same price. Thanks for any help or input.

TAMRON 200-500MM F5.0-6.3 DI,NIK AF
vs
SIGMA 50-500MM F4-6.3 EX DG NIKON

Have it narrowed down to two lenses for birding, any comments on which one to get they are almost the same price. Thanks for any help or input.

If you can wait a tad longer I would add the new Sigma 150-500 with image stabilizer to the shortlist and wait5 for the first critical review of one. I bought a BIGMA in January, would have waited if I would have known back then about the new one coming out). Pricewise the 150-500 plays in the same ballpark as the Bigma, so if the optical quality is similar the stabilizer would be a useful add-on. Other than that both Bigma and Tamron have their fans and are both nice pieces of glass.

UH

As indicated above, if time is available, you might wait a few more weeks to see what the reviews have to say about the 150-500 OS/HSM Nikon mount. Inital MTF and an initial Canon mount user seems to indicate it might be a contender.
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/telezoom/150_500_5_63.htm
http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/cermaktomas

Between the Tamron & Bigma, the Tamron is lighter and has a slight edge in IQ past 400-mm but, due to screw-drive AF is slower to AF and tends to hunt AF in lower light - more so than the Bigma's HSM.

I opted for the Bigma and haven't regretted my purchase one day...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back