• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8x32 vs. Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T* ??? (1 Viewer)

Ed,
If Henry's way makes sense to you, that is good confirmation of its correctness, you being a hard case and all! Thanks for hanging in there.
Ron

Well this left off on a cliffhanger! I keep tuning in, same time, same bat channel. Will Henry ever have a plausible explanation? Is it possible to have two seperate but equal epiphanies? Or has this thriller been cancelled for lack of ratings?

Rick

Without starting this all over again ;)My take on this is that Edz is using no diopter control to actually measure just relying on not very precise markings on the diopter scale of the binoculars, BT this is just me and I sure am no expert, but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express in the past.;)
Steve

Without starting this all over again ;)My take on this is that Edz is using no diopter control to actually measure just relying on not very precise markings on the diopter scale of the binoculars, BT this is just me and I sure am no expert, but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express in the past.;)
Steve

What Steve said

Yeah, 3D in an SE? That would be, like, not superfantastic even. SE = apple pie around here. Foment is brewing. The masses aren't going to take it. Henry said he was going to the Outer Banks for a short vacation, but I think he might have defected.

Well this left off on a cliffhanger! I keep tuning in, same time, same bat channel. Will Henry ever have a plausible explanation? Is it possible to have two seperate but equal epiphanies? Or has this thriller been cancelled for lack of ratings?

Rick

Equation Wars: Revenge of the Arcseconds

Coming to a Blue Carpet Theater near you this fall in 3-D.

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Boy, am I glad I didn't get in on this one......if some of the participants here were having these.....differences, say, over lunch at the school cafeteria, there might have been a food fight! Would've been something to see, from several tables away.....

I would not hesitate to catapult a green pea into someone's eye over a matter of a diopter. Honor is an important thing.

Actually Kevin I would think the Zeiss FL would have better coatings than a Tasco Porro Prism but the the Tasco still had better light transmission than the Zeiss(That's kind of funny almost isn't it a Tasco transmitting more light than a Zeiss).
Dennis
Recently I was on the 12th floor of a building in NYC and a woman had a pair of tasco 10x50 porros. I asked to have a look ready to laugh at them and feel great about how superior my FL's were and I was absofreakinglutely blown away by the brightness and sharpness. They were just as bright as my 10x42 FL's and probably cost under $100.

The trick was the apparent field of view was half the size. They made a great design decision and took all that light they lost with poor coatings and just made the AFOV half the size and got all of their brightness back that way, plus by being porros they had an advantage to begin with. Let me tell you they were very sharp in the center and extremely good edge to edge also. I had my FL 10x42's in my bag and I left them right there because for sure no one was going to get a wow out of them, they were getting just about the same view only with a much smaller circle.

I learned my lesson that day just how good even a cheap a porro can be.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back