• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K-7 with Pentax 300mm f4 (1 Viewer)

Day 3 with the K7, found a reset feature in the camera menu and used it. Seems to have cleared up some of the problems. also updated firmware and found a manual online. Things looking a bit better now.
Posted on dpreview and others have told of similar experiences, stiff diopter adjustment that loosens up after use. I am now able to make fine adjustments to the diopter and have a very clear and bright image in the view finder.
Others also said they were unable to use their K7 straight out of the box and had to do some setting up first.
Camera is performing quite well today and I still have at least a week before I decide whether to keep it or not.
This is probably a good example for not buying from a reputable camera shop, whether a physical shop or on line.
Still haven't heard back from Pentax, but the people on dpreview were of enormous help.

Day 4 with K7 and probably the last.
Did some side by side tests of the K7 and E-510.
K7 performed a little better in some instances, but in others the E-510 beat the K7 easily. For the slight difference in quality in only some of the pictures the K7's price is just not worth it.
I'm pretty certain the K7 will be going back. After reading the reviews of the K7 and seeing sample pictures the camera I received is no where near the same quality. Perhaps it is defective. Pentax hasn't responded to my e-mail after 2 days
This is my second DSLR and 5th or 6th digital camera. All other cameras I've had you can shoot straight out of the box on any one of the automatic or scene settings. I couldn't with the K7.

Time to pack it up and demand a full refund I think. Maybe follow up with a call or email to the supplier with a full explanation of your findings - box condition, missing items etc.

I am lucky in that I have a Pentax stockist just down the road with a stellar reputation and good staff, and as a fallback, a great online retailer, also with a great reputation.

I abhor the lack of response though from suppliers when things go wrong! :C

So, are you going to ask for a replacement / shop elsewhere for another K7?

I called Dell and they are to call me back with a return authorization. They will then send a courier to pick it up. I will get full credit for the return. Although disappointed I must say dealing with Dell was pretty good.
Not certain what I will do now. I might just wait for the next generation of Nikons and Canons to come out.
I am glad that I e-mailed Dell as soon as I realized the manuals were missing.
My E-510, although now somewhat dated, works fine. I bought the K7 as it reviewed so well and had so many features. Dell's sale price was amazing but with the lack of response from Pentax and my experience with the K7 I think I will just wait now.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back