• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K5 anyone? (1 Viewer)

impotentspider

Been a while since I posted anything on here, not really had the time for birding though I have been popping in occasionally.

Has anyone bought the K5 yet and how are you finding the improved noise handling?
I bought mine in November and its the first Pentax body that I've used TAv mode on and not had to worry about what ISO the camera was setting, I'm still keeping it to a maximum of 1600 as at 3200 I'm not happy with the loss of feather detail after applying noise reduction (I'm using Neat Image)

So basically thats the gist of the question, if your shooting with the K5 at 3200 and above how are you coping with retaining detail in our feathered friends.

Did you have any problems with the dirty sensor fault? Some people had what looked like tiny oil spots when they viewed shots taken at f22.

Couldn't be cleaned off even with a wet swab and Pentax were looking into the apparent problem

The sensor staining seemed to be early batches and most dealers have been exchanging units affected. Thankfully mine didn't show any such defect after testing tocheck it.
I've not had much opportunity to put it through it's paces yet due to dire weather, a bout of the flu and work, but will do so soon. In fact, I have a few days up in Norfolk middle of next month, close to Snettisham so will make the most of it and get out and about at every opportunity. |:D|

I detected one minor mark which wouldnt budge with a wet clean, but up until the problem was raised I hadn't noticed it, how many people shoot a blank white wall at f22?

I wasnt prepeared to bother myself with swapping the camera for something that is of no consequence, spotting images has once again become part and parcel of photography anyway.
Several members of the PentaxUser Forum have had some seriously affected sensors and by all account these have been resolved quickly by Pentax.

I still need to find out how to resolve loss of feather detail at ISO3200
Perhaps when a noise profile for the K5 is relesed for Neat Image things may be a little better.

Perhaps when a noise profile for the K5 is relesed for Neat Image things may be a little better.
You could always take advantage of the free trial offer on Topaz DeNoise to see if that is any better than Neat Image. I much prefer it personally.

Ron

Try shooting at say, 800 ISO, two stops "under" exposed, and then push the EC back up by 2 stops in conversion: the K-5 seems to respond exceptionally well to that kind of processing, and it will circumvent the high ISO RAW NR.

I wasn't shooting Raw Keith|:$| though strangely enough my Cameras are now set to capture RAW+jpeg after an episode just this last week when I inadvertently over-exposed all my shots by half a stop (still getting used to the new body was my feeble excuse) that coupled with the fact that the high contrasty light must have upset the cameras meter on one particular series so I ended up with several (otherwise superb) shots of a Reed Bunting that looked two stops over, I keep telling myself had I shot RAW that wouldn't have been a problem, the other shots from the day were easilly rescued but the Reed Bunting took ages to put right in Photoshop and its no longer a proper Natural History image, far too much manipulation.

I'll probablly get into Lightroom, previously when dabbling with RAW I've just used the freebie software that came with the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back