• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie to digiscoping needs advice (1 Viewer)

Alan Whyte

Hi all,

I am totally new to the world of digiscoping. I have been photographing with
dslrs for a number of years and my lens combinations will take me to a focal
length of 1200mm with an extender, but I would like to venture into the realms
of digiscoping. I am looking at the olivon digiscope T90ed as cant quite afford
to go for the T84ed and looking at mounting either a compact or a dslr, my dslrs
are all canon and I probably dont have a compact that would be suitable for
digiscoping. So firstly I would like to know if anyone is using this scope and
with what. I believe the zoom on this scope is 20*-60* and this is also where I
need some advice does this mean that if a compact had a fixed focal lenght of
50mm that the effective focal range of this would be from 1000mm to 3000mm, but
have read that if you use above about 24* you get vingetting.

2: can you mount a dslr and still get this focal length ie 1000-3000mm

Is there anything else I need to consider.

My budget is Around £1000 to include scope and mounts and possibly compact
camera no need for a tripod as have a decent video one and a gitzo with a
gimbal. :t:

Olivon scope & digiscoping

Hi Alan.

I remember using an Olivon scope in a store in the UK last year. I cant rem which exact model it was but I do know there are digiscoping adapters available.

AMAZON UK does sell an adapter for the Olivon scope here priced at £69 but apparently, for the T84ed, you would require using it in conjunction with the T84 adapter for another £10. I use Kowa equipment because I believe they are the best, but there is a price to pay for having the best.

My suggestion would be to see if you can use your own compact camera, if not, perhaps purchasing a good used one like the Canon S90 (A popular digiscoping model) or perhaps take your setup to a good camera shop and try it before you buy to make sure your getting what you want out of the system. A cable release is also recommended to reduce camera shake. You will also need a very study tripod. Do not skimp by going for a cheap model as a good tripod / head combination is essential. I personally use an Induro CT314 Tripod (AKA BENRO in the UK) (Same build and cheaper than a Gitzo)and Manfrotto 701DV mini head.

If your interested I'm having a digiscoping workshop in Southern Spain in September using Kowa equipment and your more than welcome to attend. Let me know if you require any further assistance. I hope this helps.

Regards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back