• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500mm APO Lens (should I?) (1 Viewer)

Heathy

I have mentioned a few lenses on this forum recently and wondered what this lens perfoms like for birding, how sharp is it and can it be handheld are all questions buzzing away inside. I have read a few reviews but you can't beat the opinions of those who have got one. I am currently saving for a lens and this one may be an option, depending on how good it is rated by the users. Has anyone got one going just in case they are a cracking lens.

Thanks in advance

Marc

It`s a good lens by all accounts a bit heavy to handhold,a lot of people go for the Tamron 200-500mm because it`s lighter & sharper wide open.

Steve.

The jury is still out on the new Sigma 150-500 OS. I would wait awhile to see how good this one turns out as the OS system is bound to help hand holding.

Marc--
The Bigma's rep as a quality long reach lens is well documented. With good technique, one can get a good number of keepers while hand holding. For the street price, its one of the better long lens alternatives.

The consensus alternatives for less than $1K include the 300 f/4 + TC and the Tamron 200-500 Di which both have their proponents.

It remains to be seen if the new Sigma 150-500 OS/HSM objective reviews find it living up to its promising MTF numbers. You may want to read the linked reviews of alternative long lenses at --
http://www.dslrgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2726#post2726

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back