• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Ptarmigan ("Grouse") in southern Ontario (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know if this bird was only seen on June 12th or did it stay around for some additional days? (Hopefully no one collected this bird!)

Does anyone know if this bird was only seen on June 12th or did it stay around for some additional days? (Hopefully no one collected this bird!)

Actually, I heard an interview on the radio about it last night ... it was found last Wednesday, June 8, but there are some potential previous sightings (I presume by non-birders, working at the plant) going back to March. Would make sense to me, that a bird so far out of its normal haunts, if it found some suitable habitat, would stick to the one spot.

Wish I could have gone to see it...

I'd be surprised if it moved on until the fall, but a nuclear plant isn't the sort of place that you can go anytime.

Is the bird still around or has it left for "parts unknown"?

Wish I could have gone to see it...

I'd be surprised if it moved on until the fall, but a nuclear plant isn't the sort of place that you can go anytime.

Reuven's probably right, Larry.

I have no news on it, however, and don't personally know anybody who's "in the loop." It has not reappeared on the local notice boards, as far as I know.

I do not believe I have the time right now to try for it if it were still around.

I am not very good at seeing ptarmigan anyway! I have tried for the White-tailed variety out in Washington State to no avail. I have probably walking right passed them and not even known it!:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back