• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

Gary,
when are these available to buy? Im looking to buy new binoculars and Zeiss at the moment are favourite.Ive never liked the look of the original Conquests but i like the look of this newer model.
Anthony.

They should be available in the UK from the beginning of March.

Most UK dealers are already taking orders for them.

The look of these HD is so class...
Hope they will stick to the alphas optically. If i remember correctly, Conquest was the "bottom" of Zeiss?

Gary, as the new models are 8x42 rather than 8x40, does this mean that the smaller version is likely to be 8x32 instead of 8x30? Also, for no reason other than curiosity, do you know where they are made? It was once stated here that the previous version was designed in Germany but made in Hungary. I wonder if that is still the case, assuming it ever was?

Ron

.......i may have missed something here, but i can see nothing in the description from Zeiss that confirms that the new Conquest HD's have ED objectives, doesn't mention extra low dispersion glass or flourite glass anywhere, just says 'HD = High definition' in the FAQ section.

Also will the new Conquest HD 8x40's SP prisms+dielectric coatings = the ABK prisms of the old Conquest 8x40, or will it be brighter?

Steve

The new Conquest HDs are made in Germany.

The HD contains a newly developed optical glass. This is used exclusively in the HD.

For this reason the 8x42 HD will have higher light transmission than the current 8x40.

Thanks Gary,

there seems to be some confusion on some of the US supplier websites, with some stating that the HD binoculars have ED glass. Here in the UK we have several other makes and models using the prefix HD simply to describe a high quality optical system. HD doesn't necessarily mean ED. I concur with Ceasar that the addition of dielectric prism coating increases transmission far beyond the inclusion of ED glass in isolation. Of course the benefits of an enhanced optical system can often be diminished by poor internal baffling and construction leading to scattered light, reducing any transmission gains and producing a distinct loss of contrast, and this is an area where many manufacturers still fall down on. look forward to trying them out

Steve

The HD contains a newly developed optical glass. This is used exclusively in the HD.

For this reason the 8x42 HD will have higher light transmission than the current 8x40.

Gary,

"Newly developed optical glass" is marketing mumbo jumbo. Is the glass "extra-low dispersion" or not is the question people are asking.

Brock

When I read, "Designed and built to ”Made in Germany“ quality standards ... " on the Zeiss website it struck me as peculiar that they would quote those three words. Around here the use of quotation can imply not to be taken as absolute fact, yet a reasonable facsimile. The usage is not quoting anyone which in turn appears suspect as if, "Made in Germany" was an adjective.

In the states, from what I've seen, only the objective lenses are being touted as HD. Technically an all new lens system could be going from 8x40 to 8x42 and the extra 2mm objective would help w/higher light transmission.

I make the last point due in part to the new listing of the 8/10x56 Conquest. Nowhere do I find ABK prisms, but the 8/10x50 ABK are listed as such & if you compare shape, height, width & weight one might draw that conclusion.

So, are the 8/10x56 ABK & not listed as such, so not to steal thunder from the new 8/10x42?

"Newly developed optical glass" is marketing mumbo jumbo. Is the glass "extra-low dispersion" or not is the question people are asking.

"Newly developed optical glass", "extra-low dispersion", ED, HD, XD, FL or whatever, this is all "marketing mumbo jumbo". No designation will tell how good the bin actually is. We will have to wait until March and look through to know.

When I read, "Designed and built to ”Made in Germany“ quality standards ... " on the Zeiss website it struck me as peculiar that they would quote those three words. Around here the use of quotation can imply not to be taken as absolute fact, yet a reasonable facsimile. The usage is not quoting anyone which in turn appears suspect as if, "Made in Germany" was an adjective.
I think it is in quotation marks because it is in English. If you view the Specifications section on the Zeiss site in German, the phrase 'Made in Germany' always appears in English, whereas everything else is in German. A similar French or German phrase inserted into a piece of English text might well appear in quotation marks or italics. I don't think it is anything more significant than that.

Ron

Last edited:
"Newly developed optical glass", "extra-low dispersion", ED, HD, XD, FL or whatever, this is all "marketing mumbo jumbo". No designation will tell how good the bin actually is. We will have to wait until March and look through to know.

True enough, one optical element won't tell the whole story, but at least we'd know if Zeiss is using the term "HD" as Leica and Swaro uses it. I think it's kind of deceptive if they aren't.

Brock

The Conquest HD has a 10 year warranty.

It is made in Germany and is marked as such. Attached is a photo showing the marking.

Sorry Brock, I am an engineer and therefore cannot do "marketing mumbo jumbo" - I tell it straight.

The new conquest uses HD glass which is a brand new high quality Schott glass.

ED, HD, XD etc..........at the end of the day it is the resulting image that matters !!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• conquest.jpg
    conquest.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,740
Gary,
in your original post you say there is no signs of 'barrel/pincushion distortion'.What does this mean?
Ive contacted my local retailer and cant wait to try them.
thanks,
Anthony.

I wonder, does the eyecup design cut out much of the effective eye relief on these? Or are they pretty flush with the glass? Too many bins are the former rather than the later.

Sorry Brock, I am an engineer and therefore cannot do "marketing mumbo jumbo" - I tell it straight.
The new conquest uses HD glass which is a brand new high quality Schott glass.
ED, HD, XD etc..........at the end of the day it is the resulting image that matters !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Gary, but I'm inclined to agree with Brock that the term "HD" in this context IS "marketing mumbo jumbo."

If the new Schott glass is such a breakthrough, it would be interesting to hear where it's used, its refractive index, Abbe no. and transmission.

John

Schott glass is manufactured very close to where I live. Most people who know of it here think that it is used thusly.B :)

As an implement for drinking Boiler Makers. And properly spelled "Shot" glass.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back