• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven vs Swarovski Comparative Evaluation. (1 Viewer)

Steve C

OK, if I compare these anymore, I’ll blow an optic nerve, so here goes. This is intended to be a comparative evaluation that looks at both as objectively as I can. I will do this in two parts. I have both of these binoculars, am satisfied (mostly) with both and I have no preference as to producing a “winner”. Frankly the short story is that there is no winner anyway.

Not long ago I did a review of the Maven B2 in 9x45. During the course of that review, I had a chance to do some comparison with a Swarovski SV EL 10x42. I was surprised the Maven stood up as well to the Swarovski as it did. I knew that the Maven was a different sort of binocular within a very short period of using it, and the more I used it the better it seemed to get. I was left with a feeling of not really knowing for sure whether my eyes were deceiving me, or if the Maven was as good as I thought. So to settle that issue in my own mind I decided I needed my own alpha reference glass. Since I had started my comparison with Swarovski I decided to stay there. I also had more familiarity with Swarovski than any other alpha class binocular. Where I am, the places I can go to actually look at top tier glass nearly always have a Swarovski of some flavor. Sometimes a Zeiss, rarely a Leica, and never a Nikon EDG. I had always been impressed by the accolades of the after sales service Swarovski seems renowned for.

So Swarovski it was. Problem was which one? I had already had some issues, rather extreme, on my part with rolling ball with the 8.5x42 SV in particular with the first year run of the Swarovision. However I had seen some later production versions since the 2010 introduction and the issue seemed somewhat resolved. To me the edges are different. Understand this is not an indictment of Swarovski. It was simply a reaction of a particular set of eyes (mine) to the design concept of a particular optical design (Swarovision). I make nothing more of it at this point than that. I was not affected by the 10x42 I used for review so the SV was back in the running. However, so was the SLC, which in some ways I like better than the SV. So I did a little scratching around locally and was able to come up with loan of a 10x42 SLC-HD, and 8.5x42 of recent production, and a recent 10x42 SV. I figured one of these would sing its song and tell me which way I wanted to go. Well they all sing a mighty fine song, there is no denying that. The problem was, like the original 10x42 in the review, none of them proved capable of unhorsing the Maven B2. No, I am not saying the Maven B2 is better. I am saying it is a terrific binocular which has no need to back away from any optics comparison. The Maven B2 qualifies for the Olympics, although it won’t be on the medal podium for every event, it won’t be shut out either. My goal was to find an alpha glass that would unseat the Maven, so since none of the above did that in any significant way, I went up the ladder to the 10x50 SV EL. When the SV series was introduced I saw the entire line at our local show, the Winter Wings Festival. SONA was there with the full meal deal of everything Swarovski had. I experienced a deep disappointment over the 8.5 which I was almost prepared to buy. I was however most impressed with the 50 mm SV siblings, but at the then $2,900 price, that was simply $5-700 too steep. So with that experience and looking at some of the comments here, that is where I went. I used the trade in program offered by SWFA, a large dealer in the Dallas Texas area. They have a trade in program and I happened to have a bunch of excess binoculars that would spend too much time sitting on my shelf. I happened to have enough for the trade in, a set of the winged eye cups, the Swarovski binocular harness, and a shipping upgrade to second day air delivery.

We often hear the phrase “all things being equal”. Well, all those things are never equal and that does not change here. These are two large binoculars of different designs, the Maven B2 uses Abbe-Koenig prisms, and the SV is Schmidt-Pechan. The SV is 10x50, the B2 is 9x45. The ergonomics are vastly different. While the AK design has a higher transmission than the SP of the SV, the difference is certainly below the 4-5% increase we hear that our eyes need to be able to tell a difference. While I was initially somewhat skeptical of the 94% transmission of the B2, I am convinced at this point that that figure has to be quite close to the mark. They will both resolve the same thing things on a resolution target at the same distance, a distance corrected for different magnifications. Both seem to have 45, and 50 mm apertures and both seem to be right on the money based on EP measurements of their stated magnifications.

The Maven is a simpler design. There is a simple, traditional right eye diopter, simpler, but quite effective, screw out eye cups, there is no fluorite glass (read expensive) and there is no field flattening technology (again read expensive). Maven did not go into the flat field arena, again saving some money. The focus mechanism seems more refined on the Swarovski. The simplicity of the Maven construction and the Maven approach of selling customer direct has produced a remarkable binocular at significant savings. Maven could have added these in some combination to the design, but as I noted in the review, the B2 would have been more expensive, not necessarily more field worthy.

The apparent robustness of construction seems that each is about on par with the other. The Swarovski does engineer in the smaller details Maven left out above, and some will certainly feel a premium binocular should include those.

Maven is of course a brand new entrant in a crowded market and this always seems to be a bone of contention. This is in contrast to a long and solid history from Swarovski. So there is a choice here to make certainly.
Swarovski sits at the pinnacle of modern binocular development and certainly needs no more introduction.

Part 2 to follow shortly ;)

Not to be a smarty-ass, but isn't this sort of a "Which is better, a $1,000 apple, or a $2,500 orange?" discussion?

Well they are both binoculars, I would think if someone is looking for a binocular, and trying to save a little, this might be a worth while read. Just because one is an "alpha" doesn't mean it shouldn't be compared to a less expensive glass.

I'm not sure why they aren't both apples.

Outdoor Life 2015 Binocular Test (includes Maven B1)

chart-binoculars-fullsize_desktop2.jpg

Maven B1 10x42

This is a very good binocular, but what’s most interesting about it isn’t the image it delivers, it’s the furniture around the glass.

The Maven is the world’s first entirely customizable binocular, and through Maven’s website we were able to “design” most of the attributes that you see here on an à la carte basis, including the Kuiu Vias camouflage chassis, the silver focus wheel and objective lens rings, and even the engraved ocular lens ring (our version says “Outdoor Life Optics Test ’15”). The base price for the B1 is $900; with the custom furniture, the price as pictured is $1,100.

With all that bling, it would be easy to talk only about Maven’s visible attributes, but its optics are also first rate. Similar to its progenitor, the Brunton Epoch, the Maven features Japanese glass, precise focus control, and a solid center hinge.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they evidently didn't test Swarovski or Nikon.

Yes such a test should have included Nikon and Swarovski. Maybe for some reason Swarovski didn't want to set them one. Maybe the article has an explanation, does anyone have the full version?

The EDG seems great and I'd love to personally compare them side by side to a Swarovision. I'm not a big fan of their diopter adjustment though and I suspect even if there were better Nikon represented in stores, that design decision would make them less popular than most others from an ergonomics point. I only have the EDG rev. 2 8x42.

Yes such a test should have included Nikon and Swarovski. Maybe for some reason Swarovski didn't want to set them one. Maybe the article has an explanation, does anyone have the full version?

The EDG seems great and I'd love to personally compare them side by side to a Swarovision. I'm not a big fan of their diopter adjustment though and I suspect even if there were better Nikon represented in stores, that design decision would make them less popular than most others from an ergonomics point. I only have the EDG rev. 2 8x42.

See link

http://www.outdoorlife.com/features/gun-and-optics-test/binoculars

The Maven B2 just received the Field & Stream "Best of the Best Optics 2015 Award". Should be in the magazine now on stands.

This is a lot about perspectives. Ever wonder why some people can't do with less than a $2,500 binocular and some get by just fine with a lot less?

The key to ultimate satisfaction is to shut up the little voice in your head and just use the binocular. Some need the security from a high dollar glass, others not so much. Not saying that the owners of the high dollar glass didn't take a long and careful road to their choice either. People are just different.

The key to ultimate satisfaction is to shut up the little voice in your head and just use the binocular. Some need the security from a high dollar glass, others not so much. Not saying that the owners of the high dollar glass didn't take a long and careful road to their choice either. People are just different.

Well said, although the manufacturers surely hope "the little voice" will keep us restless and desiring.

this test must be a true joke,
the 12x50 and 15x56mm bins,
gets LESS resolution points than
10x and even 8x binos…

:-O

and wtf has "clarity of the glass" have to do with the resolution,
unqualified mumbo jumbo,
and as seen in video, binos not on tripod,
could explain the 15x:s being a bit shaky…
crazy…but we don't know, because they don't tell us,

credibility = zero = nada = niente
biased = 110%
scientific = my a*s no

Last edited:
The resolution score of the SF seems awfully low.

Ya that seems to be a red flag. I looked at the article online and they show some guy sitting with a circular white/black striped target resting it on it's edge on his lap and holding it with big mits. If this is the setup they used for resolution then I can understand the results may not be too precise.

Clearly some issues with the tests, so just have to wait for others to see if there is some alignment on some properties.

I'm thinking about a 10x32 and that is one format that gets very little testing so it's really hard to say if the top dogs are much better than the mid-tier as there is just not enough data.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back