• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know who GWRC is, or was? (2 Viewers)

diggerdug

Hi;

I metal detected a very small bird band recently and was curious to learn about it. On the band is G.W.R.C. and then 1938 952. I contacted USGS and they indicated that it was not a federal band nor did they know who GWRC was. I'm guessing this band was done in 1938? Anyone solve this mystery for me? Would be curious to know the circumstances of this band.

Well here's a list of meanings for GWRS

https://www.allacronyms.com/GWRC

If Patuxent (part of USGS) hasn't anything, I'm not sure where you would go from there but now you've got me interested and I would love to hear back from you if you find out.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

Thanks to all for responding. Not going to totally discount racing pidgeons since I know so little about bands. Some additional info. This band was found in between Charleston SC and Beaufort SC in a very rural wooded tract. The band is very small and I had assumed that it was for a small song bird of some sort. The interior space of the band is 1/8" X 1/4" as it is compressed in an oval. I would post a pic but do not see that option available to me.

I would post a pic but do not see that option available to me.

Just below the 'Message' box, you'll see a tag 'Go Advanced'. Click on that, and scroll down to 'Additional Options'. There you'll see an 'Attach Files' with a button 'Manage Attachments'. Click on that, and you can upload pics :t:

OK! First thing I'd do is give it a good scrub-up with an old toothbrush ;)

That apart - it's too small for a pigeon ring. But the way it has been closed (overlapping, rather than abutting) is not how wild bird bands are placed on a bird. So I'd suspect it must be from a cagebird. Tracing that after (I presume) nearly 80 years won't be at all easy, unfortunately.

Thanks Nutcracker. I didn't scrub it out of habit sorry. As a relic digger it is ingrained about over cleaning relics. At a minimum looks like a pipe cleaner could be helpful.

So that is a 1938 then? Fat chance tracking anything that far back.

So that is a 1938 then?
I don't know! I guess I mis-read your comment in the opening post :eek!: It might be from then, it might not be.

Yep, I can see that fragile items might be damaged by cleaning, but this should be OK; cleaning will make the lettering more legible.

I got a response from my metal detecting forum that the band may be from Greater Wellington Regional Council who has a long running bird band program with North America. I have sent an email query to the National Banding office in Wellington New Zealand. Will post any response I get back.

Ha, one of the list of names that use those initials that I posted earlier for you. Let's hope you get some answers.

I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out the other.

Ha, one of the list of names that use those initials that I posted earlier for you. Let's hope you get some answers.

It was there all the time; guess I was so focused on bird banding I just assumed it was a welcome center and overlooked that acronym. Usually when you see "Greater" that's a lead in for tourist, at least in the states.

I sent emails to two different entities over there. Will post any response I get, thanks.

OK! First thing I'd do is give it a good scrub-up with an old toothbrush ;)

That apart - it's too small for a pigeon ring. But the way it has been closed (overlapping, rather than abutting) is not how wild bird bands are placed on a bird. So I'd suspect it must be from a cagebird. Tracing that after (I presume) nearly 80 years won't be at all easy, unfortunately.

Is it possible that it was put on abutting and has since been compressed into an overlap?

If so then it could be from a bigger (and wild?) bird.

Very interesting, whatever it turns out to be.

Is it possible that it was put on abutting and has since been compressed into an overlap?

If so then it could be from a bigger (and wild?) bird.

I was wondering when I dug it out of the soil if the original owner had become a meal and the band became compressed in the process but there are no teeth marks of any sort on it.

Hopefully I will hear from one of the two sources as to what was banded, and when I do I will certainly post the response here.

I rec'd a response from the banding office in new Zealand and they advised that the inscription does not match the series of letters and numbers that their office does. They recommended I check with local bird breeders/pidgeon racing clubs. Oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back