• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x56 or 10x56 FL? (1 Viewer)

Omid

United States
Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone owns any of the new FL 56mm binoculars? If so, I would be very grateful if you could commnet on

a) What's the improvement in image quality between these and the previous 50mm victory series or the good-old Night Owl series?

b) How much depth-of-field do the 10x56 have? In other words, how sensitive to focus are these?

The reason I am asking the second question is that I notice that high-end 10x42 binos are generally very sesnsitive to focusing. For that reason I don't like them much. I have never had a 10x50 or 10x56 biono so I wonder if 10x56 FLs have the same issue?

Thanks for your replies!

2Old2Care said:
Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone owns any of the new FL 56mm binoculars? If so, I would be very grateful if you could commnet on

a) What's the improvement in image quality between these and the previous 50mm victory series or the good-old Night Owl series?

b) How much depth-of-field do the 10x56 have? In other words, how sensitive to focus are these?

The reason I am asking the second question is that I notice that high-end 10x42 binos are generally very sesnsitive to focusing. For that reason I don't like them much. I have never had a 10x50 or 10x56 biono so I wonder if 10x56 FLs have the same issue?

Thanks for your replies!
Hi,
I've had a pair of Zeiss 8x56 Fl's for almost 2 months now (from Euro Optics, one of the few places that had them in stock at the time). I've always felt that the excessive purple fringing (which I am very sensitive to) of the previous 8x56 Victory model took away from their otherwise excellent optics. I also felt the earlier Night Owl 8x56 had too much fringing.
Here is a section from my comment in another thread which you may find helpful:

I had been unable to decide for a long time if I preferred the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL to the Zeiss 8x42 FL. I loved the extra brightness and absence of purple fringing of the Zeiss, but also loved the flat field and easy view of the Swarovski's (I didn't like the Swarovski's purple fringing). I recently bought a pair of the new Zeiss 8x56 FL's and these have the best qualities of the other two. The image has the same georgeous contrast and brightness as the Zeiss 8x42 FL, and also the flatness of field and easy view of the Swarovski's. The only downside of the new 8x56 FL is their size. They are big and heavy.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your comments "noman". You pretty much answered my first question.

I have owned various binos in the past (8x56 Night Owl, 10x40 Classic, 8x30 Safari by Zeiss; 8.5x42 EL by Swarovski; 8x20, 8x32, 12x50 BN by Leica and 8x32 HG by Nikon) but I only own the grreat little Nikon 8x32 HG at this time. I have recived a new job offer and might move to Florida, so I am looking forward to treating myself to a great new pair of binoculars upon reciving my first paychek!

I look forward to other members commenting on the second question regarding focussing.

2Old2Care said:
Thank you very much for your comments "noman". You pretty much answered my first question.

I have owned various binos in the past (8x56 Night Owl, 10x40 Classic, 8x30 Safari by Zeiss; 8.5x42 EL by Swarovski; 8x20, 8x32, 12x50 BN by Leica and 8x32 HG by Nikon) but I only own the grreat little Nikon 8x32 HG at this time. I have recived a new job offer and might move to Florida, so I am looking forward to treating myself to a great new pair of binoculars upon reciving my first paychek!

I look forward to other members commenting on the second question regarding focussing.

If you do move to south Florida be sure to check out Wadadahatchee wetland in Delray Beach. Here is what someone else had to say about it in another message board:
I did a quick before sundown walk around Wakadahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach tonight. On the Eastern quarter of boardwalk looking east from the purple roofed Purple martin house I saw 2 Spot-breasted Orioles playing in the fire flag. Just a bit further north in one of the watery openings on the east side of the boardwalk were the 4 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, 2 adults and 2 juveniles.
:
: Also beautiful views of White Ibis coming into roost with Snowy, Great and Cattle Egret, Great Blue, Little Blue and Tricolored Heron.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back