• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miserable Wet Evening.. (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

I dont know why we ended up at Low Barns NR, on such an umpleasant early evening, but in the end it was worth it.

Steady rain confined us mainly to the hides. Nevertheless 3 bird species were of particular interest.

Considering all the rain it was quite appropriate that a *Green Woodpecker should be vocal, and after climbing several Alder trees calling, he decieded to fly off from the island.

The second bird was also heard calling too, but the blue flash soon came whizzing into view in front of the hide, the *Kingfisher, appeared to be a female and sat preening & calling for 20mins, then when the rain died off she dived for fish, the 2nd one caught was dropped back into the water whilst trying to bash it on its perch!

The third was'nt altogether unexpected, as very many display over the area in their roding flights, but a *Woodcock sat on one of the islands wasnt where we expected it.

We tried to turn a juvenile Coot, scrambling on the bankside, into an Otter, but without sucess !

Other birds seen include
Willow Tit, Bullfinch, Teal, Goosander, Whitethroat, Herons, Dabchicks with young.

We were glad to have had the reserve to ourselves, & by the time we were home had forgot about the rain !

S.

Last edited:
In spite of the rain, it sounds as though you had a fairly good evening. Sorry about you not getting your otter :)

I'd be happy wih those species too. I haven't ben to Low Barns at all this month. I'll have to pop over here as I like to call at least once per month.

Was it the North or South hides you saw them all from ?

steviewol said:
Considering all the rain it was quite appropriate that a *Green Woodpecker should be vocal, and after climbing several Alder trees calling, he decieded to fly off from the island.

For those (most non-UK people, I guess) as don't know - and old country name for Green Woodpecker was 'Rainbird'.

Michael

Hi Charles,

Plenty more - Ekwall, Galley Bird, Greenile, Heffald, Heigh Hold, Hew-hole, Hickwall, High-hoe, Ickle, Laughing Bird, Nicker, Nickle, Popinjay, Rain Fowl, Wet Bird, Whetile ('wet-tail'), Whittle, Wood Hack, Woodwall, Woodspite, Yaffingale, Yelpingale.

All from Lockwood, The Oxford Book of British Bird Names

Michael

I've counted 44 regional names for the Green Woodpecker in All the Birds Of the Air-Francesca Greenoak.
IT would take me most of the morning to type them out so I shaln't bother, sorry.

Hello

Ian, the " Laffy lad " & a Kingfisher were seen from the 'Bittern' Hide, the fishing Kingfisher & Woodcock were seen from the lakeside hide, parralel to the river. (probably got young as we could hear 2 calling from the river while we watched the fishing bird)

MF, i can remember reading a poem written in 1621, where the bird is called 'hewel'.
I think some of these old bird names are far more interesting than some of the modern equivalents.

SE

I sometimes have to visit Co Durham (that sounds like I go there with a gun pointed to my head - didn't mean it to sound like that!). Could anyone tell me where Low Barns Nature Reserve is please. I may have an evening to kill next time I visit.

Thanks. (And I'd love to see Green Woodpecker - we don't get them in Blackpool)

Hi Henry,
L.Barns is in Mid Weardale, Co.Durham.
Its signposted on the main road A68 & the reserve is just outside Witton-le-Wear village.
Its a Durham Wildlife Trust Reserve, & they have a WWW site i believe.

SE

Sounds pretty good, I'd rather have a quiet reserve ( people numbers that is ! ) than a busy one any day.

...... 'scuse my ignorance, but whats a dabchick ?

Hi Stevie, ive never caught up with Green Woodpecker at Low Barns, is the Lesser spotted still being seen?

Henry Low Barns is a smashing reserve and an evening visit in summer is as good a time as any to enjoy a walk around it.:t:

Last edited:
Cuddy
If the reserve's busy you have a better chance just down stream near the Witton Park river bridges. The Yaff often nests in the massive Poplar overlooking the overgrown Beechburn gravel pits (this is a ornithological gem in the waiting, if it all goes to the rumoured plan). Best area for Water Ousel too.

LSW. - No recent reports as far as im aware, i had a male in the Alderwood about this time last year. (Hawfinch at the feed station area early in June)
most people year tick LSW at the start of the year at the Teesdale Sites, nearer You...Thornley Woods Centre (Gateshead) sometimes get them, i have a confidential site in Durham thats good, so they are out there !

Stevie

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back