• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatchers' world record bid (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

your not wrong there twite although i must comment i dont what would take the most balls on my behalf- selling the house and packing up work or stepping on a plane for the first time ever. i think it may be the plane

your not wrong there twite although i must comment i dont what would take the most balls on my behalf- selling the house and packing up work or stepping on a plane for the first time ever. i think it may be the plane

Go by boat, a mega pelagic. What a lifelist.;)

Twite.

thats a bloody good idea. only problem is- i've spent the last 17 years working in a shipyard carrying out ship repair so it'd be a sort of busmans holiday. i've always said if a ship sinks there's lifeboats, liferafts etc. if a plane goes down your dead.

Good luck to them both.

I look forward to the TV doc that will hopefull follow their trip.

Likewise wish I had their courage..oh and a house to sell!

I remember talking to Iain Campbell, who is involved in running Tandayapa Lodge, about his plans for a Big Twitch. He talked about the possibility of 6000 species, a seriously deranged goal.

He and Nick Athanas eventually did a Little Twitch, a month long endeavor and counted more than 1600 species. You can read about it here.

I must be a terrible cynic, the first thought to strike me after reading this was they're going to produce one mother of a carbon footprint on this trip.

I must be a terrible cynic, the first thought to strike me after reading this was they're going to produce one mother of a carbon footprint on this trip.

Would it be any worse than staying at home, running a house (with heating, lighting, etc), transport to and from work and so on?

Also it's in a good cause, they are raising money for Mindo Cloudforest Foundation

Mind you they have managed to blag themselves gear from Swarovski and Country Innovation. Not bad.

Last edited:
Would it be any worse than staying at home, running a house (with heating, lighting, etc), transport to and from work and so on?

Also it's in a good cause, they are raising money for Mindo Cloudforest Foundation

Mind you they have managed to blag themselves gear from Swarovski and Country Innovation. Not bad.

It's all a bit Live8 though, isn't it? People can spend all kinds of money on themselves, doing all kinds of environmental damage, having the time of their lives, in the name of charity and 'awareness', and it's all good. Well no, it isn't, the criticisms are fair.
This pair's carbon emissions are going to be enormous, just exactly the opposite of what conservationists should be aspiring to. I mean, is it any wonder that the conservation page on their website speaks only of habitat preservation, with no mention of greenhouse emissions? Very blatantly it's that Al Gore message, do as I say, not as I do. Because this year it's them, next year who else will be inspired to follow the dream, and when does that end?

Come on, let's be honest and smell the greenwash, it's still wet.

This pair's carbon emissions are going to be enormous, just exactly the opposite of what conservationists should be aspiring to. .

I'm probably going to be put down for this... and I'm not trying be funny, but any flights they are planning to take will go ahead whether they are on them or not.

Twite.

I'm probably going to be put down for this... and I'm not trying be funny, but any flights they are planning to take will go ahead whether they are on them or not.

Twite.

Well... the same goes for everybody who flies down to the Med for their holidays. All those individuals choosing to fly creates the demand for more flights. It's trite but really, in terms of aviation's influence on climate change, we're part of the solution or part of the problem, and the choice is our own.

I just really cannot understand how a charity effort in aid of conservation could possibly have as large an environmental impact as this sort of journey surely must. It baffles me. Short of building a coal fired power station in your garden, world travel is about the worst, i.e. least environmentally sustainable, thing you can do - even if you believe in flimflam like carbon offsetting.

Well... the same goes for everybody who flies down to the Med for their holidays. All those individuals choosing to fly creates the demand for more flights. It's trite but really, in terms of aviation's influence on climate change, we're part of the solution or part of the problem, and the choice is our own.

I just really cannot understand how a charity effort in aid of conservation could possibly have as large an environmental impact as this sort of journey surely must. It baffles me. Short of building a coal fired power station in your garden, world travel is about the worst, i.e. least environmentally sustainable, thing you can do - even if you believe in flimflam like carbon offsetting.

any figures to back this up?

Rob

Have they really sold up everything? I mean are they going to live in a tent when they've finished traveling around the world? Maybe they should have just sold their house and given all the proceeds to the charity cutting out the middleman and all that traveling and the time saved could be used working for the enviroment.

Good luck to them, people should be free to do whatever they like with their well deserved free time. Providing its legal of course.
Perhaps Governments should be mandating substantial green taxes on flights and transport, and ensuring all the money goes back into preserving the planet. Would be fairer and more effective than the few people who care overwhelmed with guilt everytime they step into a car, and criticising others with "bigger carbon footprints" than themselves.

This couple in question appear to have done more for promoting birds than many on here, even before they have raised the money for the charity.

it's very Sting, Bono and Live Aid but the less about that the better

these two folks have the best intentions and should just do it for the sheer fun of doing it - and I hope they enjoy every minute of it.

btw: CO2 from shipping is twice that of aircraft http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7052037.stm

and aviation's contribution could grow to 5% (yes that's a whole 5%) of the total CO2 emissions by 2050

any figures to back this up?

Rob

I tried looking up figures on the internet to find out the 'damage' flying to my parents in s france a few months ago. Was really difficult to find any meaningful actual figures in terms of CO2 released.
In the end did find what seemed a reliable site which indicated that one person flying to s france wasn't much different than 1 person driving. Also long haul flights used 6* more carbon per km than short haul. (I think because they fly that bit faster to reduce the journey times= have to use a lot more fuel to go just that bit faster in rarefied atmosphere.)

Can't believe shipping uses more carbon every time, depends on what the journey length etc is You can make the figures tell the story you want them to!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back