• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Chinned Hummingbird I believe (1 Viewer)

dave598

United States
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that this is a Black-Chinned Hummingbird. This is the first time I have gotten a semi decent photo of a Hummingbird.

Attachments

• BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD WM RS 0001.jpg
    BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD WM RS 0001.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 102
Hi, Dave. I suspect no one's responded before because it's hard to tell what species the bird is from the photo. I'm a bit iffy about the black-chinned ID, myself. Black-chinneds usually have a fairly wide white band running across the top of their chests just below their iridescent purple collar.
I also wasn't sure about the pretty-well-defined "snakeskin" patterning on the chest and belly, but my experience over this summer in my hummer-infested yard was completely with black-chinned juveniles. They have very light grey, nearly white, chests and bellies, sometimes with random darker grey spots. Their iridescent collars were only just growing in during that time. I never saw a fully adult black-chinned in my yard over the summer.
So, last night, I looked at a bunch of images of adult black-chinneds online. Full adult birds DID have the "snakeskin" patterning, but they also all had the wide white band across the top of their chests below the iridescent collar. This guy's white band doesn't seem quite wide enough for him to be a black-chinned, but I could be wrong.
When I first started seeing black-chinned juveniles in my yard last summer, I didn't know what the heck they were. Looking at online images for comparison was how finally ID'd them as juvenile black-chinneds. I still look at online images to confirm my IDs when I'm uncertain.
You're outside the boundaries of Anna's hummers, which would have been my guess, so I have to admit, I don't know what your bird is. But congrats on getting a photo, anyway and keep trying. I started photographing hummers seriously last June - they can be very uncooperative, if fascinating, subjects!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back