• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going from Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA to Zeiss 8x42 FL (1 Viewer)

etc

Greetings,

Must say the Trinovid 8x42 BA are my first high end binoculars, but the only issue I have run into them is inadequate centre drive limit. They have -4, and I need more like -6 past infinity due to myopia. I can only use them with glasses on, which is difficult for extended periods of time. It's too bad, because Trinovid's eye cups are supremely comfortable.

I don't know anything about Zeiss 8x42 FL other than they have the centre drive limit of -7 past infinity, which would accomodate my myopia just fine, and allow them to be used without glasses.

In US, they seem to be going for about $1,000 on Ebay (vs. $750 for Trinivods)

Are there are things to watch out for, any pros/cons before I make such a commitment to Zeiss 8x42 FL? I hear the new coating is nice. Are they waterproof and just as durable as Trinovids?
How does the picture quality improve?

Last edited:
Unfortunately Zeiss appear to have some problems with quality control or build quality in the FL range. I have had two pairs of 7x42FLs replaced in the past three years. The focusing on my first pair became rough and Zeiss UK sent them back to the factory in Germany for repair. When I got them back, a botched repair meant the diopter mechanism would not hold its position. Zeiss UK gave me a new pair. When I was on holiday in Scilly UK this October, the right barrel of the 'waterproof' FLs fogged up after a few hours birding in the rain. They were replaced by the factory in Germany.
No way to run a business is it? I have no complaints at all about the response of the Zeiss service department to these problems, but serious doubts about the reliability of Zeiss products. It's a shame because they're optically superb bins.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back