• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Behavior (1 Viewer)

sparroweye

For the last few days I have observed one male ruby-throated hummingbird
hanging upside down from the feeder perch while another male feeds. Sometimes the feeding male will hover around the one hanging upside down
or poke at him. At first I thought the one hanging like a bat was caught
or had heat stroke or sick. But no, when I approached he flew off. I have
read about this behavior under Blue-throated hummingbirds but have never
seen it before in my own backyard ruby-throats. It looks very bizarre.
Once we owned tropical finches in a cage, and one of ours would hang
upside down when it was stressed. Anybody have any views on this or
seen it in their hummingbirds at the feeder. I am going to place another
feeder a good distance from this one hoping that it will stop.

SOunds like maybe one was trying to fight the other off the feeder. Hummers are notorious for fighting for feeder rights! The battles can be pretty amazing sometimes. Sounds like the one feeding was bold enough to ignore the other's warnings!

Tammie, Since I posted this, I have read that this behavior may be a part of their
mating ritual. I did not really get close enough to them to verify their coloring.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back