• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds Drinking in your Garden (1 Viewer)

shelley810

I've noticed the latest 'garden rage' is to insert empty wine bottles that have the thumb hole indention around the perimeter of your flower garden. Many, I've seen have this going ALL the way around the perimeter....even for a small garden, that's ALOT of wine! The idea is that they hold enough water for the butterflies to rest and drink. Good idea, just hadn't consumed the inventory to do the perimeter, instead I created little clusters of bottles in a couple places around my pond garden, which also hosts many of the hummingbird feeders. To my delight, the little Hummingbirds use these makeshift watering holes for themselves!!! How wonderful! I've only seen them sipping at the water in the afternoon....for all I know, they may bathe in it in the morning....it would be just right for them!
Shelley

As an added note...hummingbirds weren't the only birds I saw drinking from the wine bottle bottoms....goldfinches and now the migrating yellow warbler rest there, too...haven't noticed any slipping either.
Shelley

I've noticed the goldfinches and catbirds use my ant moat on my hummer feeders for a quick drink. Very resourceful indeed!

stephennj said:
I've noticed the goldfinches and catbirds use my ant moat on my hummer feeders for a quick drink. Very resourceful indeed!

Stephen-- you just solved a mystery for me! The other day I 'caught' a catbird in the garden where the 'water'bottles are and he got spooked into the chicken wire (to stop bunnies from entering in on the back side). I wondered why the heck he was down there amongst the flowers in the first place...I did well in math in school, but I obviously didn't put 2+2 together...he was right where the largest cluster of wine bottles were.
Shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back