• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info. Requested re. Gray-Headed Chickadee (1 Viewer)

WGPu

Providence Petrel
I am thinking of a trip to Alaska and am wondering where could I go and stand a decent chance of seeing a Gray-Headed Chickadee?

On other forums I have been given suggestions about a float trip company (WBA) that specializes in this bird, but wondered if there were other options.

How far into the interior are they dependably seen? Anywhere south or west of Fairbanks? (See: http://www.stateofthebirds.org/maps/arctic-alpine/akmaps_large/GHCH_yr_large.jpg).

Thanks.

Last edited:
They are right, Bob Dittrick with WBA is the sure bet. They are the best at this and great people too. Gray-headed Chickadees have only showed up in the interior around Fairbanks a couple of times. And that is usually in the middle of winter. They prefer different habitat then that of other chickadees, They like it just above the spruce tree line in the alder and willows. I did see one in the fall hanging out with boreals around Cold Foot, couple hundred miles north of here.

Hope this helps,

Josh - Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks

Josh,

Thanks very much for your response. It's very informative. I have tentative plans for a hunting trip to AK in the fall of '14 with a guy who lives in Wasilla. I'm not sure where we'll go but he mentioned taking the Dalton Hwy north of the Arctic Circle. There was a post on AlaskaBirds back in Aug., 2002 by Carol Irwin who saw a G-H Chick. near MP 190 on the Dalton Hwy, so I wondered if any others were known of in that area.

Thanks again.

Bates Estabrooks
Tennessee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back