• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (2 Viewers)

I suppose the expectations have been placed too high.

These days you can get a basic binoculars app for your iphone for one thousandth of the cost of an SF ; that when combined with the evolving IS technology is the space to watch in the medium term ... Apple have the clout to crush all before it.

As for slow release, possible quality control, and related issues with the SF, again, this doesn't seem unusual in today's marketing/distribution environment. Have we already forgotten the bizarrely halted then delayed roll-out of the Swarovski 8.5x42 and 10x42 SV? All the eye-cup switching in the Zeiss FL and Conquest lines? The semi-release of the Nikon EDG in the USA, followed eventually by worldwide release of the EDG II, bins? Or of the aborted Nikon Monarch Fieldscopes. Likewise, problems with new top-end dSLRs and other complicated photography equipment, or with their batteries etc, followed by recalls is very common nowadays.

--AP

don't forget cars being recalled…
everything is in constant beta-mode these days…
including my brain…

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/09/autos/toyota-recall/

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/16/bmw-recall-3-series-airbag-takata

Well, its quite entertaining to read here on a lazy afternoon, but...

2340 posts about a binocular which is about to be/has just been introduced.
Mostly from people, who havent laid a hand (and an eye) on it yet.

Everyone knows, that marketing is basically a bunch of lies, never to be believed.

Everyone knows, that a newly introduced product, especially a complicated one like a bino, needs some time to have the hiccups erased in production.

Still, too many people expect the manufacturer´s fairy tales to be absolutely true and every produced bino to be perfect right from the start.

Aint that a bit odd?;)

For the last two posts:

Does this mean this is acceptable though? Or do we just roll over to this level of dis-organisation and quality standards. Okay it happens but does that mean we sit back and don't comment?

If you buy something do you just return it and say I'll have a replacement whenever it suits you, please Mr binocular maker? Or keep it and accept its faults and think this is just the level of service I expect these days.

I'm surprised at such a passive response. If you don't make manufacturers aware of issues then what does that say about us as consumers.

I'm sure people making these comments do have the odd complain about something or other every now and then.

Accept it and it'll continue, or maybe others will do the work for you and make manufacturers aware that they need to set higher standards of care for those who are keeping them in business.

A late night rant from me, but I find 'lazy afternoon' comments like this surprising and disappointing.

For the last two posts:

Does this mean this is acceptable though? Or do we just roll over to this level of dis-organisation and quality standards. Okay it happens but does that mean we sit back and don't comment?

If you buy something do you just return it and say I'll have a replacement whenever it suits you, please Mr binocular maker? Or keep it and accept its faults and think this is just the level of service I expect these days.

I'm surprised at such a passive response. If you don't make manufacturers aware of issues then what does that say about us as consumers.

I'm sure people making these comments do have the odd complain about something or other every now and then.

Accept it and it'll continue, or maybe others will do the work for you and make manufacturers aware that they need to set higher standards of care for those who are keeping them in business.

A late night rant from me, but I find 'lazy afternoon' comments like this surprising and disappointing.

If you dont like it then return it for a refund. The manufacture will quickly decide to either lower the price to the point where people dont complain or fix the problems before shipping.

The things people complain about may be a real issue, or may be an issue personal to them. In Orvis the other day looking for some nice heavy weight flannel shirts and I get to witness this exchange by a dumpy guy who was well heeled from his appearance and the store clerk. Guy was trying on Barbour waxed cotton jackets. The guy says I wear a large. Clerk says okay, you will probably need an XL in Barbour. Guy says no I wear a large. Clerk hands him a large, guy gets it on and says too tight. (it was way too damn tight) Clerk says let me get an XL, guy says, no I wear a large. Guy is protesting as the clerk hands him an XL. Guy puts it on, to me it still looked a little tight if you layer but the guy said no thanks, I wear a large and thats an XL. Clerk says well it seems to fit, guy said yes but I wear a large and looked rather upset.

So if the guy complains about Barbour, is it legit?

If you dont like it then return it for a refund. The manufacture will quickly decide to either lower the price to the point where people dont complain or fix the problems before shipping.

It's not that I don't like the SFs but I complained and got the problems with mine fixed. I can't imagine prices being lowered, but because I was one of the first to buy these and raise some of the issues with mine so that others may be aware perhaps some of the problems might now be fixed before shipping!!!

Sometimes others talk and others of us go out and actually do it.....

I use my SF 8x42 for astronomy, and I haven't noticed any central astigmatism.

But then again, I don't notice any blurry edges on my M7 either! ;)

It's not that I don't like the SFs but I complained and got the problems with mine fixed. I can't imagine prices being lowered, but because I was one of the first to buy these and raise some of the issues with mine so that others may be aware perhaps some of the problems might now be fixed before shipping!!!

Sometimes others talk and others of us go out and actually do it.....

I was just making a comment on the are we just going to roll over comment. As others have said, it sucks for sure, but if you think getting bad binos is a problem, you should get a $25,000 auto that spends a month a year in the shop.

10 people returning $2,500 binos for a full refund will get more attention from a manufacturer than 100 posters who may or may not be real complaining on the internet.

Leica has introduced two new models which will be available after the IWA in March.
First the Ultravid 50+ serie and second a new Perger Geovid next to the excisting model. The new one will cost 300,00 euro less and will not have the possibillity of the microchip. It will still measure elevation, temp and altitude.

Jan
Nice. Thanks.

So quickly we forget. As far as I can tell, for the most part reception of the SF has been similar to that of every ostensible top-end bin since I joined Birdforum. Over the last decade, speculative posting has increased, but I lay the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of the optics manufacturers/brands. They are the ones who have decided to change their marketing strategy to one of announcing products before they even have pre-production samples. Negative assessments early on might also be more common, but that is probably due to increased sophistication of reviewers and the fact that current products show such marginal improvements over the older ones to which they are compared (and that would be very costly, these days, to replace). Frankly, I'm glad we get negative comments from the get-go. Pre-internet, all we got was marketing propaganda from the manufacturers, or from supposedly independent reviewers who nevertheless had some allegiances to the manufacturers or their personal contacts at the companies, or who at least didn't have enough gumption to dare say anything too damning in print. I make my own purchasing decisions and my own judgments, so I find it helpful to have a list of possible flaws in optics, ergonomics etc to check for when I get my hands on a sample. It usually doesn't take long to look through the whole list (the more the merrier) that I compile from the observations of others; then, I make my decision.

As for slow release, possible quality control, and related issues with the SF, again, this doesn't seem unusual in today's marketing/distribution environment. Have we already forgotten the bizarrely halted then delayed roll-out of the Swarovski 8.5x42 and 10x42 SV? All the eye-cup switching in the Zeiss FL and Conquest lines? The semi-release of the Nikon EDG in the USA, followed eventually by worldwide release of the EDG II, bins? Or of the aborted Nikon Monarch Fieldscopes. Likewise, problems with new top-end dSLRs and other complicated photography equipment, or with their batteries etc, followed by recalls is very common nowadays.

My purchasing strategy is to not get excited about buying a new product until it has been on the market for at least 6 months, then wait at least until or after one "winter holiday" buying season (a very relevant pricing factor at least in the USA) before having a look at it myself and considering the purchase. In the meantime, keep the impressions and reviews coming! If it's fair for the manufacturers to tell us about products they don't yet have ready to sell, it's fair for us to ask for products or improvements that haven't even been announced yet. Where's that second generation Swarovski 8.5x42 SV with more pincushion and with variable-ratio focus?

--AP
That's sounds like a good strategy. Wait till the pre-production models are sold. I can see the price on the SF dropping to about $2300 or so also after about 6 months.

What about coatings and construction though? Globetrotter's SF's may possibly have something wrong with them. It is a new model. That doesn't mean every sample is bad. He could have gotten a bad one.

Possibly but unlikely, Dennis.
I just have a gut feeling there's a Troll among us.
I usually never call anyone out but feel someone has an agenda.
My instinct tells me something's not quite right here.

Possibly but unlikely, Dennis.
I just have a gut feeling there's a Troll among us.
I usually never call anyone out but feel someone has an agenda.
My instinct tells me something's not quite right here.
I thought I was the ONLY troll around here. I don't want any other troll invading my territory. He can find someplace else to troll. You like your HT?A lot of online sellers of the SF will give you 10% of the retail price if you ask. That is not a lot but it is something.

Last edited:
The Leica had NO astigmatism?

Well I didn't mean 0.000000, just none that I could see with a 7x boost. Not that it was to a whole lot of use, since my eyes have some. As a result, it's double star splitting for me was best slightly off axis where my eyes' astigmatism was best compensated.

Ron

Remain seated folks! ... (that means you too Hermann! :)

Hi Chosun

As one purveyor of 'cutesy humour' to another purveyor of the same, allow me a couple of comments. 3:)o:D;)

I have repeatedly said I haven't tried any production SFs yet and that still remains the case, so I have no relevant experience to bring to the table, and even if I had tried a unit or two, that wouldn't entitle me to extrapolate that to every SF that has entered the market.

But when Dennis calmed down and posted that he was simply advocating caution in the face of conflicting reports, I also posted that I agreed with this.

Some reports are glowing and some aren't. Some reports are definitely of concern and others definitely aren't.

As for the delays in the SF coming to market: what a screw-up! In seven months since the SF was launched the earth has travelled around 340 million miles, the earth’s population has grown by about 36 million, several models of mobile phone have become obsolete and Leica has introduced a new binocular that was freely available in the shops straight away. And SF is hardly flooding onto the market yet. I am afraid its the HT story all over again, and whether it is for different reasons or not, to the market the result is the same.

Lee

Hi Lee,

We are agreed. That was all I was really getting at. :cat:

When we are looking at a high dollar bin like this one, with such company stated grandiose (and I would venture - over the top, and self-defeating) claims, then public forums such as this become valuable resources for consumers to keep the b*st*rds honest (as the Honourable Democrats Party Leader - Don Chipp used to say :) ..... :brains:

There have been odd reports of CA, and lack of sharpness (astigmatism), and flat colours. These may include user aberrations and perceptions, or just sample variation ....... proper quantitative testing will sort the wheat from the chaff, and I look forward to Kimmo's report, and wish that HenryLink and Typo could get their hands on production units sooner rather than later.

If there is sample variation at play, then this is unacceptable at this price point - in no way should the customer be the final quality inspector, with the company getting away with whatever it can with unsuspecting, uninformed, or uncritical users --- that's where the beauty of the internet comes in --- it puts a critical floor under the quality and performance standards that we are all reassured to walk on.

Of more serious concern is the blue ring in the periphery, and varying levels of fuzziness as reported by Torview, and the blurred ring part way across the field as reported by Tim, and various focus issues. I know not all samples exhibit this, and not all users report this - but how would a customer feel on the other side of the world to open a box and pull that type of unit out. It remains to be seen whether these are design, parameter threshhold, or manufacturing problems.

You are right in saying that Zeiss has made a hash of the introduction again.

Lets hope they finalize spec soon at a high enough quality level such that no-one gets a blue-edged fuzzy-ringed unsharp 'dumb' focus unit ...... ie that the performance of the bin comfortably exceeds the best of the best eyes out there :eek!:

Then, they just need to be made perfectly at that spec and in sufficient numbers to supply the market.

It might pay us (the binoholic B :) public) to keep track of serial numbers when the good ones finally hit the shelves to avoid any pre-production reworked bitzers ......... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

So quickly we forget. As far as I can tell, for the most part reception of the SF has been similar to that of every ostensible top-end bin since I joined Birdforum. Over the last decade, speculative posting has increased, but I lay the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of the optics manufacturers/brands. They are the ones who have decided to change their marketing strategy to one of announcing products before they even have pre-production samples. Negative assessments early on might also be more common, but that is probably due to increased sophistication of reviewers and the fact that current products show such marginal improvements over the older ones to which they are compared (and that would be very costly, these days, to replace). Frankly, I'm glad we get negative comments from the get-go. Pre-internet, all we got was marketing propaganda from the manufacturers, or from supposedly independent reviewers who nevertheless had some allegiances to the manufacturers or their personal contacts at the companies, or who at least didn't have enough gumption to dare say anything too damning in print. I make my own purchasing decisions and my own judgments, so I find it helpful to have a list of possible flaws in optics, ergonomics etc to check for when I get my hands on a sample. It usually doesn't take long to look through the whole list (the more the merrier) that I compile from the observations of others; then, I make my decision.

My purchasing strategy is to not get excited about buying a new product until it has been on the market for at least 6 months, then wait at least until or after one "winter holiday" buying season (a very relevant pricing factor at least in the USA) before having a look at it myself and considering the purchase. In the meantime, keep the impressions and reviews coming! If it's fair for the manufacturers to tell us about products they don't yet have ready to sell, it's fair for us to ask for products or improvements that haven't even been announced yet........

--AP

Alexis, ..... Bravo ! :clap: ..... Superbly said ! . :brains: . :t:

We, the buying public don't have to swallow hook, line, and sinker, every piece of marketing bunkum trotted out. If the company's want to live by the sword - well then they can die by the pen!

If it is fair enough for a company to sing the praises of its latest and greatest products, then it is fair enough for the buying public (as opposed to the advertorial nudge nudge, wink wink, backslappers) to call them out when they fall short. Sure, nothing short of a proper statistical analysis is ever really going to reveal the size of the problem --- but if you are the chump who opens that box half way around the world to find a sub-par individual unit, then your statistical analysis is instantaneously completed = 100% fail! . :storm:

Not everyone has the luxury of nipping down to their local dealer to scrutinise first hand the best individual unit in stock, making sure it is satisfactory for them prior to purchase. Hence information such as been uncovered here is a valuable public resource, and wilfully misleading trolls discounted (if they occur), there is nothing to get hysterical about (fanboi and journeyman alike).

Like you - I think the more the better.

Chosun :gh:

At last, a modicum of level-headedness returns to the forum! :clap: The only way that the optics giants will be made to sit up and listen and take note is to critique their products honestly and objectively without laying on the fanboy schmaltz. As I said earlier in the thread, I think that Zeiss shot themselves in the foot a little by releasing all the promo and over-hyping the SF before production was on-stream - not ideal given the expertise of some of the posters on forums such as this! As for the 'Zeiss blue ring' (as opposed to the 'Absam ring'), I seem to recall my Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGATs exhibiting a similar phenomenon back in the 1980's - I didn't keep them long before I changed to a Swarovski 8x30 SLC!

I thought I was the ONLY troll around here. I don't want any other troll invading my territory. He can find someplace else to troll. You like your HT?A lot of online sellers of the SF will give you 10% of the retail price if you ask. That is not a lot but it is something.

No, we don't need another Troll; the resident one doesn't need any competition, lol. |=)|
Yes, still like my HT but I don't believe they're leaps and bounds better than any of the other Alphas.
I'm a hunter mostly and the HT fits my needs best but I also like to watch birds, plus view sports, and they're plenty good for those activities also.

I doubt any of the big 3, along with some of the other top players, could be distinguished from one to the next by an average everyday user for casual viewing.
Only fanboys know the difference. :t: (yes, I'm a fanboy too) |8)|

Have you ever spent several hours in a day comparing some of the top brands, Dennis ?
I have and it's extremely taxing to your eyes and body.
Or, at least, to me it was.

Last time I did it, I compared Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss. (all in 10x42)
I went back and fourth for several hours before I decided the winner (for my eyes) that day was the Leica Ultravid.
They were best but just barely.
Could be their coatings and construction gave them the victory, like you mentioned above.

No, we don't need another Troll; the resident one doesn't need any competition, lol. |=)|
Yes, still like my HT but I don't believe they're leaps and bounds better than any of the other Alphas.
I'm a hunter mostly and the HT fits my needs best but I also like to watch birds, plus view sports, and they're plenty good for those activities also.

I doubt any of the big 3, along with some of the other top players, could be distinguished from one to the next by an average everyday user for casual viewing.
Only fanboys know the difference. :t: (yes, I'm a fanboy too) |8)|

Have you ever spent several hours in a day comparing some of the top brands, Dennis ?
I have and it's extremely taxing to your eyes and body.
Or, at least, to me it was.

Last time I did it, I compared Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss. (all in 10x42)
I went back and fourth for several hours before I decided the winner (for my eyes) that day was the Leica Ultravid.
They were best but just barely.
Could be their coatings and construction gave them the victory, like you mentioned above.
Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time comparing binoculars. I find it interesting though. I keep what I feel is the winner after comparing them and then if a new binocular comes a long that is supposed to be better I will buy it and then compare it to what I have. The loser usually goes on Ebay(after I pump and dump to get the best price) and the winner stays. It is as simple as that. I have had times where I had several binoculars like you and I compared them all. I really don't have a need for several alpha binoculars but I like to have what I determine is best for me and how I use them. The SV 8x32 just works the best overall. I also have the Swarovski 8x30 CL, Canon 10x30 IS, and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 right now.

Last edited:
Did a comparison between SF 8x42, SV 8,5x42, FL 7x42 and SV 8x32 today.
The overall winner to me is clearly the SF:s.
Most impressive is the huge FOV/AFOV in combination with 8x mag.
It completely draws you into the view.
When upgrading my 7x42 FL:s, there's no doubt that I will go for the SF:s.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back