• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My New old stock Roofs (1 Viewer)

dries1

Well after looking through older military and zeiss jena porros for pleasure and birding I did some research on looking for a decent roof prism glass.I ended up going on a splurge.

I didn't want spend the money for a new alpha glass so I looked on the e..y website for something in the 8X32 range slightly used.
After researching the leicas and zeiss I was still out of range for a good glass...then I saw a minty 8X32 HG hardly used, the seller was new and the only other one sale was $150 more, so I took a chance and when they arrived I was really impressed, the view was crystal clear and to the edge. I had to get used to the focus speed, faster than my only center focus bino, the 8X50 Octarem.
The diopter on the right lens locks in place which is a major plus since many times they go out of alignment on the octarems. It has great eye relief, I do not wear glasses so it was easy to spot targets, and eye piece locks into place.

The color is real/true and not exaggerated in any way, at least to me. They are built like a tank - very impressed with the construction. I researched them some more and found out that they do not have leaded glass since they were introduced in 2002.

Well I saw a 10X32 Hg and since I liked the 8X32 bought it along with an EII 8X30. Could not find an SE any where. The 10X32 is also a great glass and will be using it this weekend to see how it performs.

For the money I spent on the HGs I have two that will be used quite often and when I get the eII will compare them, although I love the depth of field that porros give, I also love the flat field that these Hgs provide.

I want to thank the fellow forum members here for the valuable info I obtained regarding nikon binos.

The diopter on the right lens locks in place which is a major plus since many times they go out of alignment on the octarems.

Hi, and welcome:

Unless there is eccentricity in the ocular system, alignment should not be affected by turning it, which you MUST do unless each target you focus on is exactly the same distance from you. :cat:

Bill

occular adjustment

I was just commenting that the Nikon has a locking right ocular lens.My eyes are near 20/20 in the right eye and 20/50 in the left. The nikons occular eyepiece will not move when trudging through the bush unlike the octatrm (which will be serviced soon) which can move. I agree that it has to be changed when viewing objects at different distances. The Octarem is a great glass for it's age and like my other porros has a great depth of field similar to my NVA 7X40. I only used them for viewing objects from say 60 feet to infinity.

I am getting used to the nikons HG flat field, and even though they appear to not have a good depth of field like my docter roof 7X40, the central focus is some thing I never experienced before, so easy to move from close objects to infinity.

Regards,

dries1

Dries1,

Whether the field is flat or not it won't make a difference in the DOF. Lower power binoculars have deeper depth of field than higher power binoculars do. All told, you shouldn't see to much difference in DOF between 2 8x binoculars no matter their size, however, a Porro prism binocular of the same power (8x) can make the subject look smaller than when seen through an 8x roof prism because the objective lenses are wider apart in the Porro prism.

The difference in the depth of field between a 7x binocular and an 8x binocular is readily visible if you compare them at distances from 20' or so up to 100 feet. It is especially noticeable when following small birds through the branches of a tree 20 to 50 feet from where you are standing. (That is why I love using my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL in close quarters!) A 6x will have even more DOF.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

I see what you mean, with the use of a 7X has a better depth of field, I am looking through my kern porro 8X30 and it appears to have more of a 3D view so the appearance of a larger depth of field than a roof prism. When I get the EIIs 8X30 I will compare to my hg 8X32s.
The 7X40 DF NVA porro IMO have a great depth of field.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back