• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (34 Viewers)

That dog ban is great news. I see so many people just letting their dogs scramble along the shoreline after waders, and at this time of year when the breeders are all pairing up (Oystercatchers for definite, for the last 2 weeks), a ban is really the only effective measure. Would be nice to see the same happen in other areas as well, at this time of the year.

Doesn't hurt to mention it to the owners either, if your polite. There was a bloke at Dersingham who had is Lab chasing Meadow Pipits through the heather there. I dont usually say anything, but with the singing Woodlarks about as well, I felt I ought to. He did put his dog on the lead, and we had a nice chat to boot!

Jason

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could give an idea as to the numbers of Pink-feet in Norfolk at the moment? I noticed mention of c700 at Holkom in a previous post.

Cheers,

Bill.

By the way, do they breed there or is that to sensitive information?...

Hi I've sent you a pm with a couple of reliable sites in the Brecks (I had one singing yesterday). They're becoming fairly common breeders around Thetford Forest and any area within the forest itself that contains a mixture of mature decidious trees & scots pine should have a reasonable chance of hosting some.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could give an idea as to the numbers of Pink-feet in Norfolk at the moment? I noticed mention of c700 at Holkom in a previous post.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill

The WeBS annual report: http://www.bto.org/webs/news/AR05_06/index.htm contains info for the winter of 05/06 and numbers should be comparible or slightly higher (as this species is increasing in numbers). I'd hazard a guess at 120,000. Both Scolt Head and Holkham can host in excess of 50,000 at times.

Ilya

Hi
Heading for Norfolk tomorrow for two days birding. Any info/direction to Warham raptor roost,directions to dersingham bog and Lynford Arboretum would be appreciated. Also best area to see RL Buzzard!!!

Dave

An early morning walk at Holkham yesterday produced a Firecrest just before the pond about 600 metres west of Lady Ann's Drive, in a Holm Oak. From Washington Hide it was good to see six Marsh Harriers (one male) hunting over the marsh. Up high above the church in the distance six Common Buzzards were spiralling up. The Ross's Goose was also just inside the entrance gateway to Lady Ann's Drive with Pinkfeet.
Sue

Quality day today. Holkham Park finally produced that mythical Lesser-spotted Woodpecker after 6 previous visits (including one 4 hour slog on a lovely sunny day) and 2 hours today, from 10.

Good to see your developing that pig-headed, won't take no for an answer stubbornness of a top birder Jason:t:

Quality day today, spent morning first on the ridge looking for raptors then having a fruitless time looking for lesser spot at Felbrigg, but buoyed by recent bf exploits, i shall not give up til the quarry is mine!

Decided to go for the report of the Glauc at Cley, arrived at 2ish and not seen since 11. However tons of Gull feeding on strange reddish food on the shoreline. Walked down onto the beach and apparent that there have been a recent wreck of starfish - must have been 500-1000 between east bank and coastguards. Spoke to a fisherman and he thought it was nothing unusual just result of the Northerly wind. Also some spiderlike crabs - spider crabs? and Gull generally having a field day. Walked back resigning myself to the fact i was going to dip, but compensated by lovely atmospheric day in my favourite part of the world, the Shorelarks shuffling about on the bank and flock of 60 Snows. Began to walk to Salthouse and scanned a couple of distant Gulls on the beach - all the scanning of Gull suddenly seemed pointless - this Glaucous was shining out like a beacon, its a really bleached creamy white individual and soon took off giving an ace flyby, then settled on the sea and drifted back the way it had come.
Caught bus home and the white bird theme was continued with a nice Barn Owl just outside Sheringham.

Haha, NO SURRENDER!!! Was well worth it in the end though. Lovely little fluffy beasts, them LSW's.

Gulls also loving the wrecked starfish all along the point. Enjoyed watching a 1st W Herring strugling with a rather large example.

Jason

Good to see your developing that pig-headed, won't take no for an answer stubbornness of a top birder Jason:t:

We were in Holkham park woods yesterday morning, Sue. Interesting to hear about the buzzards over the end of Lady Anne's Drive, as we left Norfolk this morning not having seen a buzzard in 5 days! We did get one at some point but we may have been in Linconshire by then!

Sandra

We were in Holkham park woods yesterday morning, Sue. Interesting to hear about the buzzards over the end of Lady Anne's Drive, as we left Norfolk this morning not having seen a buzzard in 5 days! We did get one at some point but we may have been in Linconshire by then!

Sandra

Sorry you did not see a buzzard in Norfolk Sandra. Years ago Common Buzzards were a real scarcity in Norfolk but there are now quite a few areas that buzzards can be seen on a regular basis.

After watching two Barn Owls over Gapton Marshes at Great Yarmouth yesterday, a Short-eared Owl flew along the railwayline alongside the Acle Straight.

Sue

I popped to Wells with some relatives today, still one shag showing well in the harbour big numbers of brent including at least one black brant. We then popped along to Cley and my wife finally saw the white-crowned sparrow... we detoured via Gayton Thorpe on the way home but couldn't find the GG shrike that was there earlier in the week. Saw quite a few grey partridge through the day, they seemto be getting more visable in the last few days. Also good to see one of our local pairs of little owl were back in their old favourite tree.

Driving in along the Acle straight yesterday I had 2 barn owls flying in fields at the Acle end. At a meeting yesterday met a chap who claimed he'd seen lesser spotted in mousehold heath 2 years ago - whihc was interesting. I've just got back from popping in to Wacton (I was passing from a client visit). Nobody there, and only a single alba flying, but I didn't stay long cos it was cold in just the suit.

Anyway, if there's anyone from Norwich reading this, could I beg your help? There's a public consultation on the management of mousehold heath running at the moment - with a management plan that includes lots of good stuff about heathland restoration. But it's in danger from a vocal minority of dog walkers who are opposed to any habitat management. You can read the plans and post comments here:
http://www.norwich.gov.uk/site_file...s__Current_Consultation__Mousehold_Heath.html

and we really need to drum up public support for the restoration - there's a lot of rare invertibrates on the heathland that really need scrub clearance and sympathetic management. So if you have five minutes it would really help.

re Barn Owls
In the last two weeeks I have come across or been told of 4 Barn Owls killed by cars within a 4 mile radius of Watton plus saw another on A47 just west of Easton.
Is there any reason why so many should fall victim to the car at this time of year?
Incidentally, there were still 3 live birds within 300 yards of each other at Bodney on Sunday night.

re Barn Owls
In the last two weeeks I have come across or been told of 4 Barn Owls killed by cars within a 4 mile radius of Watton plus saw another on A47 just west of Easton.
Is there any reason why so many should fall victim to the car at this time of year?
Incidentally, there were still 3 live birds within 300 yards of each other at Bodney on Sunday night.

Don't know if I'm adding to your total or not Peter, but my wife told me of one on the B1108 between Carbrooke and Scoulton on Wednrsday.
Can't really explain why so many get hit at this time of year but they do hunt the verges and normally at a height below the maximum for lorries, so could easily get hit crossing the road.

Lewis

re Barn Owls
I also found a dead bird by the side of a minor road just outside Stiffkey about a week ago. I think its probably due to to the larger number of birds around in recent years! As for why there are more dead birds than other months, i don't know either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back