• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Made it Max!! Back home this afternoon. Roundabout not as bad I remember (when I took us thorugh the centre of Kings Lynn at tea-time rush hour!!) and sailed through it on the way back this morning too.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Glad you have mastered the roundabout!!! Hope you had a good holiday in Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny :girl: :hi:

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Sandra

I know exactly what you mean, I am a confident driver and will attempt to drive just about anywhere, but I HATE that roundabout and I live here!!!!!!!

Just phoned Birdline: West of Holkham a Rough Legged Buzzard, a House Martin at Cromer, a Long Eared Owl at Kelling Water Meadows. The Little Auk at Snettisham was not mentioned, but it was seen yesterday (Thurs) and has been there all week so I expect its still there today, also 70 snow bunting at Holme (on Thurs).

Best Wishes Penny

Thanks Penny. Your message came through too late for me to read as I didn't look at my e-mails after early mornng on 1st. Just back and had a super time. Didn't get to Hoalme this time - were going to call this morning on our way through from Wells but as we got there the heavens opened and we didn't want to travel home wet. Sods law that it was fine again 15 mins. later.

Just been watching Nature's Calendar and we were at Stubb Mill last evening. Saw 9 marsh harriers - Bob thought he also saw a female hen harrier. Then two cranes flew across behind us - a good job someone was watching that direction. So they were a lifer for me. Will post a report shortly.

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Thanks Penny. Your message came through too late for me to read as I didn't look at my e-mails after early mornng on 1st. Just back and had a super time. Didn't get to Hoalme this time - were going to call this morning on our way through from Wells but as we got there the heavens opened and we didn't want to travel home wet. Sods law that it was fine again 15 mins. later.

Just been watching Nature's Calendar and we were at Stubb Mill last evening. Saw 9 marsh harriers - Bob thought he also saw a female hen harrier. Then two cranes flew across behind us - a good job someone was watching that direction. So they were a lifer for me. Will post a report shortly.

Sandra

Glad you had a good time Sandra, 9 marsh harriers, wow!!! and two cranes, well done! Yes I remember looking out of the windows at work this morning looking at the heavy downpour,it really did come down. Look forward to hearing your report.
;)

moved into our new house in Sea (a)Palling today

had a moonlit walk on the beach and polished off a bottle in the breeze.

a house on the norfolk coast is a dream come true and something i've been working towards for a long time. Geese and cranes on the doorstep, Stubb mill roost a bike ride away, Waxham, Horsey and Winterton likewise. Plus the wonderful broads a few mins away. Some stunning vagrants been found in the vicinity over the years from Pallas's Sandgrouse to Lark Sparrow, Rock Thrush and 'orange-billed' terns to recent Chinese Pond Heron, Pallid Harrier and Pacific Swift. Looking forward to some serious UK field time at last... a quality drive to and from work... and who knows what in the garden mothwise and birdwise...

No doubt be seeing a few BF members in the area (Nelson Head, Old Hall Inn, Waxham Barn or Poppyland... B :) !!!)

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Tim

Congratulations on your new house Tim, sounds a fantastic spot, wishing you happiness and lots of good birds in your new abode. See you on Saturday.

Best Wishes Penny :girl: :t:

Congrats on the house move Tim, you're in a wonderful part of the county. Here's wishing you health, happiness and many years of good birding (and some rarity finding!) on your local patch.

James

Well both were actually. But the Hickling one was seen for longer and in more detail.

Thanks

Robin
Frootshoot said:
Which one was described to you Robin? The one from broadland or north Norfolk?

James

Good ole boy Tim

bit late and of little consequence really i suppose but just so as to keep things on track ... went round to Stubb mill Saturday (2nd Dec) evening and after spotting a Barn Owl near Hickling village got to the mill a little late really, but still counted 12 - 15 harriers & 1 Merlin. Although not one single Crane.

and 2 bats during a nice ride back along the moonlit country lanes

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
Hey, nice one Tim! Having just been through the process, I know moving house can be a bit fraught at times - bet you're glad it's done so you can get back to birding!

Expect to hear about loads of good finds from the east coast now.... and gossip about them in the Nelson Head some time as well!

ATB

Tim Allwood said:

had a moonlit walk on the beach and polished off a bottle in the breeze.

a house on the norfolk coast is a dream come true and something i've been working towards for a long time. Geese and cranes on the doorstep, Stubb mill roost a bike ride away, Waxham, Horsey and Winterton likewise. Plus the wonderful broads a few mins away. Some stunning vagrants been found in the vicinity over the years from Pallas's Sandgrouse to Lark Sparrow, Rock Thrush and 'orange-billed' terns to recent Chinese Pond Heron, Pallid Harrier and Pacific Swift. Looking forward to some serious UK field time at last... a quality drive to and from work... and who knows what in the garden mothwise and birdwise...

No doubt be seeing a few BF members in the area (Nelson Head, Old Hall Inn, Waxham Barn or Poppyland... B :) !!!)

Tim
Welcome Tim. Moths are great here (as well as birds, obviously): we do a fair amount of trapping in Winterton. Get in touch via pm when you've settled and come over for a jar. Maybe we can get a rival collective parish yearlist comp going... I can also lend you all my IBWO books to read too - I'm currently going through "The Race to Save the Lord God Bird" - an excellent read - honestly!
All the best,
Sean

I am spending next week in Norfolk (Monday-Wednesday in the north-west, Thursday to Saturday around Horsey and Hickling) with the main intention of reading lots of colour-rings and collars on the geese flocks. I am an obsessive ring-reader, can't help it.
If anyone comes across any flocks in accessible places near enough to 'scope (75X) I would very much appreciate a call or text on 07950 052040.
Or if anyone fancies meeting up for some ring-reading, or a drink.......

Steve

According to Birdline: At Snettisham RSPB today:

Juv. Black eared Kite seen early morning around the south pit and saltings and towards Dersingham Bog (not seen after 1.30pm). Up to 11 Shore Lark, Short Eared Owl and the Little Auk in the southern most pit at Shore Hide.

See new current day sitings for Holme on NOA Website or main website noa.org.uk :girl:

Last edited:
Seems as though these Black-Eared Kites have become more abundant, ever since the first one a few weeks ago. Whats the chances that these recent ones would have been identified as just standard Black Kites if it wasnt for the first Black-Eared?

J

Penny Clarke said:
According to Birdline: At Snettisham RSPB today:

Juv. Black eared Kite seen early morning around the south pit and saltings and towards Dersingham Bog (not seen after 1.30pm). Up to 11 Shore Lark, Short Eared Owl and the Little Auk in the southern most pit at Shore Hide.

See new current day sitings for Holme on NOA Website or main website noa.org.uk :girl:

J Moss said:
Seems as though these Black-Eared Kites have become more abundant, ever since the first one a few weeks ago. Whats the chances that these recent ones would have been identified as just standard Black Kites if it wasnt for the first Black-Eared?

J

One bird accounts for all the sightings. It clearly moved the few miles east from Holbeach Marsh to Snettisham/Dersingham.

Steve

At Holme this morning, had fantastic views of 40 Snowbuntings east from main beach, very mobile though, got some distant shots!!!! Freezing cold first thing this morning, but a stunning day. Lots of redshank, 2 grey plover, 1 long tailed duck flying east, green finches, golfinches and a lovely male stone chat by gorse on right hands side of main path to beach who enjoyed having his photo taken. Didn't do much seawatching as was spending all my time trying to photograph the snowbunting. Sophie (AW at Holme NO\A) had a good seawatch this morning see NOA website.

Best Wishes Penny :bounce: :girl:

Went for a wander along Caister beach this afternoon hoping to see either Snow Buntings or Shore Larks. Almost as soon as I arrived a small group of birds flew past me and landed on the beach just near where I was standing, a quick peek through the bins to confirm and sure enough....7 shore larks!!
I carried on walking for another ten minutes or so and soon found a group of snow buntings. I was carefully creeping up on them for a better view, ninja style, when a couple with a pair of alsatians ran onto the beach and the whole lot went into the air.
All that creeping for nothing. I'm now pretty grumpy thinking my chance had passed, but the flock circled a few times out over the sea and then landed right by me. I got to within a few metres and counted 44 of them. A nice way to spend an hour....apart from the dogs and the fact that it was bloody freezing.

Last edited:
Binoculators said:
I was carefully creeping up on them for a better view, ninja style, when a couple with a pair of alsatians ran onto the beach and the whole lot went into the air.

However!,sometimes the dog walkers can work to your advantage.

If you position yourself in the right place at the right time those mutts can actually drop a good few birds by your feet!.On my last visit to the coast a very obliging border collie ''oujakipivied'' some snow buntings and a roosty flock of ringed plovers and dunlins practically on our feet!

Matt

btw,anyone know how to spell oujakipivied correctly ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back