• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Just wondering what is about at the moment? I hope to make a trip to Titchwell tomorrow but longish journey and limited time in the area.

Cheers

Kevin

Hippo said:
Just wondering what is about at the moment? I hope to make a trip to Titchwell tomorrow but longish journey and limited time in the area.

Cheers

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
On the pager today...

Black-eared Kite, 6 Shorelark, single Little Auk and 2 Scaup at Snettisham RSPB.

2 adult Black Brant at Holkham - east of Lady Annes Drive.

Balearic Shearwater off Cley feeding close inshore with Razorbills. One seen flying
past yesterday so perhaps there's one lingering in the area.

No news from Titchwell I'm afraid.

If you get to the county have a great day.

James

had this winters first frosty morning bike ride to work yesterday (12th) , timing had it that as i rode down the little lane across the Stokesby levels the sun had just risen over the horizon revealing the clear blue sky from the east that gradually cast warmth all around onto the hedges, trees & frosty roadside verges, and made a few wisps of steam rise off the marshy fields. With no-one else around it was a really nice part of the broadland marshes, and with no cars to scare anything away it was quite worthwhile too....

1 Chinese Water Deer running across a field near Runham and 2 Roe Deer standing in the road midway between the villages

On stokesby levels - 2 Barn Owls, 1 Short-eared Owl, 2 Kestrels & 1 Marsh Harrier. In the trees near the dyke a Greater-spotted Woodpecker and on the dyke itself was a Kingfisher. Near the main road junction there was a singing Cetti's Warbler.

Lovely

Cheers geoff,

this evening was really nice again, clear sky and only a light wind so having been there at dawn the other day i thought i'd take a look at the Stokesby marsh & the levels, down as far as the A1064 junction, at dusk this evening

2 Barn Owls, one pale & 1 a quite dark looking - a bit like this one ?

2 Short-eared Owls (very nice, oh for a decent camera) hunting over the tussocky cattle-grazing fields W of the village, 2 Kestrels, 1 Marsh Harrier over heading north (off to Stubb mill iwonder ?) , a few Yellowhammers, c.30 Lapwings south-ish & a steady stream of gulls South too

a good few deer about too but i have to admit not paying enough attention to say what they were

Anyone else ever go out this way ?

Anyone know what's happened to the Snett Little Auk?

I was hoping to catch up with it (and the Kite) between chrissy & new year, but it's not been reported today, has it really gone, or is it just in hiding?!?

Cheers

Mike

Frootshoot said:
Black-eared Kite, 6 Shorelark, single Little Auk and 2 Scaup at Snettisham RSPB.

James

We are twitching the Kite tomorrow (Saturday, 17th) and was wondering if any of you chaps could let us know the best place to see the bird and anyhting else thats about?

We should get to Snettisham shortly after daybreak. Target species is obviously the Black-eared Kite, but others include (if time permits) possibly Golden Pheasant at Wolferton, Shorelark that has been mentioned by James and Red-breasted Goose in Lincolnshire.

This request might come too late, but any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

DaveB

DaveB said:
We are twitching the Kite tomorrow (Saturday, 17th) and was wondering if any of you chaps could let us know the best place to see the bird and anyhting else thats about?

We should get to Snettisham shortly after daybreak. Target species is obviously the Black-eared Kite, but others include (if time permits) possibly Golden Pheasant at Wolferton, Shorelark that has been mentioned by James and Red-breasted Goose in Lincolnshire.

This request might come too late, but any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

DaveB
Hi Dave, according to Birdline: Black eared kite, east of reserve towards north end of pits, also 4 shorelark and 23 snowbunting at Snettisham Coastal Park, a Short eared owl at Holme NOA reserve (which I saw this afternoon from the observatory, hunting over the marshes towards Holme Church), juv white rumped sandpiper at Salthouse and 10 hawfinches at Lynford Aboretum. Have a good weekend. Also for Holme see noa.org.uk and then click on 'recent news'
Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Dave, according to Birdline: Black eared kite, east of reserve towards north end of pits, also 4 shorelark and 23 snowbunting at Snettisham Coastal Park, a Short eared owl at Holme NOA reserve (which I saw this afternoon from the observatory, hunting over the marshes towards Holme Church), juv white rumped sandpiper at Salthouse and 10 hawfinches at Lynford Aboretum. Have a good weekend. Also for Holme see noa.org.uk and then click on 'recent news'
Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Penny,

Thanks for the info.

We got to Snettisham shortly after day break. Observed two Barn Owls hunting inthe fields to the north of the approach road. Perfect light, but to far for photos.

By the time we got to the pumping station, we were told that we had just missed the kite. We waited at that point until 2.30pm with a third Barn Owl and a Ringtail Hen Harrier being the highlight of a frustrating day. Other raptors included Sparrowawk, Kestrel and a probable distant Merlin.

We did get 12 Snow Buntings and the four Shore Lark.

We'll be watching the reports over the next week or two and may try again when we get the chance.

Thanks again,

DaveB

DaveB said:
Penny,

Thanks for the info.

We got to Snettisham shortly after day break. Observed two Barn Owls hunting inthe fields to the north of the approach road. Perfect light, but to far for photos.

By the time we got to the pumping station, we were told that we had just missed the kite. We waited at that point until 2.30pm with a third Barn Owl and a Ringtail Hen Harrier being the highlight of a frustrating day. Other raptors included Sparrowawk, Kestrel and a probable distant Merlin.

We did get 12 Snow Buntings and the four Shore Lark.

We'll be watching the reports over the next week or two and may try again when we get the chance.

Thanks again,

DaveB

Hi Dave, glad you saw some good birds, sorry you didn't see the Kite, I only live 10 miles from Snettisham and I havn't seen it yet either!!!!! I expect alot of people have 'dipped' on that, it doesn't exactly sit still in one place for all to see!!!! Anyway, barn owls, shorelark and snowbunting are much prettier!
Good luck though, if you go again.

Best Wishes Penny;)

Just back from my goose-watching few days in Norfolk. Very windy Monday 11th-Thursday 14th but very pleasant last couple of days, when I was based at Horsey. Got the impression that the mild weather so far has resulted in very few birds in the east - hardly anything between Waxham and West Somerton (except Cranes!).
Highlights:
Monday 11th: Black-eared Kite and Little Auk at Snettisham
Tuesday 12th: 80,000 Pink-feet (6 collars), 2 Snow Geese and 7 Lapland Buntings at Holkham Freshmarsh. 98 Little Egrets flew in to roost.
Wednesday 13th: Similar numbers of Pinks (2 more collars), 19 White-fronts, 4 Barnacles, the white Snow Goose. A wedding firework display at Holkham Park church flushed everything at 3.55.
Thursday 14th: flock of 13 Spotted Redshanks on Titchwell, 1300 Common Scoters offshore there. 45 Bean Geese at Cantley. 25+ Cranes at Horsey.
Friday 15th: 3000 Pink-feet between Horsey and Cart Gap (3 collars). 23 Cranes and 25 Marsh Harriers from Stubb Mill.
Saturday 16th: House Martin over Holkham Freshmarsh (my first ever in December).

Steve

first waxwing of the winter in Norfolk (?) - one seen today at Wells wood and then later at Titchwell.

Good numbers of twite at Thornham - 30+ on the building by the boats.

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Dave, glad you saw some good birds, sorry you didn't see the Kite, I only live 10 miles from Snettisham and I havn't seen it yet either!!!!! I expect alot of people have 'dipped' on that, it doesn't exactly sit still in one place for all to see!!!! Anyway, barn owls, shorelark and snowbunting are much prettier!
Good luck though, if you go again.

Best Wishes Penny;)

The last I heard, the Black-eared Kite was at an undisclosed site in Broadland yesterday afternoon (Sunday 17th).

James

Last edited:
Snow Goose or not Snow Goose?

Didn't think to much of this until I saw the report of a Snow Goose leaving Snettisham this morning with pinkies.

Shortly before leaving snettisham yesterday pm (1430ish) a large white, dirty looking, dark primaried goose flew in and landed behind the trees to the north of the pumping station. Loads of other geese coming in at the time, but going to the wash. I am guessing now that this was a dark morph Snow Goose (can't think of what else it could have been, other than one of those dodgy ducks).

Does anyone here know if this mornings report was a dark morph?

Thank you!

DaveB

PS. Attached a couple of pics from Sunday. Not good quality as the light was going on our return.

Attachments

• BarTailedGodwit@Snettisham_171206.jpg
    BarTailedGodwit@Snettisham_171206.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 144
  • ShoreLark1@Snettisham_171206.jpg
    ShoreLark1@Snettisham_171206.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 133
almost settled into Sea aPalling now...

birds in the first week included pinkfeet going over the skylight from the bed most mornings and getting woken by noisy Oycs

barn owls hunting the roadside on the way to work

several cranes including two over the car this morning in what was the best ever sunrise i've seen in this country, coupled with a temperature inversion and fog everywhere - just a beautiful sight

Pale-bellied Brent, woodcock in off, lots of harriers and lots of divers and sea duck just a minute from the house.

So many Chinese Water Deer at night though that it can't be long before i prang one...

looking forward to the school hols after tomorrow - plenty of time to walk the new mutt - a very handsome and loveable sandy greyhound - and find a few birds. The area looks awesome for passage birds and moths etc around the house, the beach cafe and pub are just the ticket... If you see a birder on a red bike with a gorgeous greyhound, say hello. Only saw Rich 'voice of the birds' and demon striker this weekend... very quiet.

might start an 'aPalling birds' thread...

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
almost settled into Sea aPalling now...

birds in the first week included pinkfeet going over the skylight from the bed most mornings and getting woken by noisy Oycs

barn owls hunting the roadside on the way to work

several cranes including two over the car this morning in what was the best ever sunrise i've seen in this country, coupled with a temperature inversion and fog everywhere - just a beautiful sight

Pale-bellied Brent, woodcock in off, lots of harriers and lots of divers and sea duck just a minute from the house.

So many Chinese Water Deer at night though that it can't be long before i prang one...

looking forward to the school hols after tomorrow - plenty of time to walk the new mutt - a very handsome and loveable sandy greyhound - and find a few birds. The area looks awesome for passage birds and moths etc around the house, the beach cafe and pub are just the ticket... If you see a birder on a red bike with a gorgeous greyhound, say hello. Only saw Rich 'voice of the birds' and demon striker this weekend... very quiet.

might start an 'aPalling birds' thread...

Tim

Glad you are settling in Tim, hope all your 'family' have a lovely christmas in your new abode. It was a beautiful sunrise here too, bitterly cold aswell. Its probably been quiet, as birders have been dragged out christmas shopping!!! Let me know if you ever get a deaths head hawkmoth PLEASE, as father has never ever seen one in all the many years he has been running two mercury vapour traps!!!! Whoever is able to show him one, would be a new best friend!!!

Happy Birthday for tomorrow by the way
Best Wishes Penny ;) :bounce: :clap: :king: B :)

I think we're going to be treated to a very comprehensive sightings report from the palling area from now on!

Best of luck with the new home Tim (trained it to heel yet) B :)

Matt

Deer!

Well you know, Tim : we do get deer inland too! This guy was on my rockery today!
Happy Hols, and I hope your new house is all you hoped it would be!
David

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 158

Users who are viewing this thread

Back