• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (35 Viewers)

Didn't start out as early as intended today, was going to go out at first light to tick golden pheasant at Wolverton triangle, but didn't quite make it!!! Went to Wolverton Cliffs to watch for Black eared kite for a while, dipped on that again!!!, couldn't be bothered to trek out to Snettisham again, so went on to Hunstanton next to try and see a possible Yellow Legged Gull that someone has seen there on the green, but couldn't find it, only herring, common and black headed gulls bracing themselves against the wind, oh and several flocks of starlings as well and also quite alot of turnstone further along the clifftops and further along by pitch and putt (Old Hunstanton) the usual oystercatchers feeding.

Next stop Holme which proved VERY, VERY productive. Saw some tufted duck on the broad water, few blue tits, greenfinches in the sea buckthorn, not alot else. Sat chatting to Jed and Sophie (W and AW) I was just going to go for a seawatch when I asked Sophie if there were any shrikes on the pager (don't have one myself) as she was looking at the pager she said excitedly "Lesser Yellowlegs" at Thornham Harbour. Well that was it, off we went and walked from Holme Bird Obs. along Thornham bank towards the boathouse/carpark. We had lovely views of Brents, curlew and lapwing in the fields beyond and linnets on the path in front of us. As we reached the far corner there were some other birders watching it from across the other side of channel (carpark area) and we watched it from our side, very smart bird and a new one for me!!!!! (This was 2pm) It shortly flew off to another creek further towards sea and then got up again and flew back in the direction of our walk and landed in a muddy creek close to the path again, we walked back towards it (as we would be going back that way anyway) and it got up again and flew high in the sky over towards Holme Church. I phoned mother to tell her to go round to Holme Marsh Reserve NOW as we reckoned it had dropped in there! It is obviously quite mobile because later on the pager, it had been seen again at Thornham Point. I felt really lucky to have seen it and we had spectacular views in the sunshine but the wind was blowing so strong there would have been no point in even my trying to get my camera stuff out of haversack, it would have been a wobbly distant shot!

When we got back to obs, I diverted straight to dunes for seawatch and saw 23 auk species, 3 guillimots, 9 bar tailed godwits, several sanderling, 1 great black blacked gull, 1 red throated diver and a grey seal really close to the shore, which created several spectaters! Went back to HBO and reported my sightings.

Jed and Sophie had seen in the morning: 7 Wigeon, 5 Pintail, 8 Common Scoter, 1 Red-breasted Merganser, 31 Red-throated Divers, 7 Great Crested Grebes, 1 Slavonian Grebe, 4 Fulmars, 1 Arctic Skua, 4 Little Gulls, 48 Kittiwakes, 5 Guillemots, 2 Razorbills and 211 auk species.

I left HBO and towards end of Firs road bumped into my mother who had not seen the Lesser Yellowlegs but bumped into another birder who had seen the Black eared kite with a peregrine and a short eared owl all at the same time, at Snettisham!!!! I then went on to Titchwell, getting dark now, saw in the very bad light, egrets coming into roost, wigeon, usual waders, heard bearded tits 'pinging' in the reeds and then two flew up and across the bank and then a massive skein of Pink Footed Geese flew over me. Didn't want to go home, but you can't birdwatch in the dark!!!

Birdline today: Lesser Yellowlegs at Thornham Harbour. Black eared kite, 4 shorelark, drake smew and short eared owl at Snettisham. Great great shrike at Grimes Graves, south Norfolk. 7 shorelark at Winterton, 2 adult black brants at Titchwell. Drake red crested pochard at Cley. :girl:

Last edited:
all day with the dog bumbling around east Norfolk

120+ Bewick's Catfield
5 Cranes over Horsey Mere
couple of thousand pinks over the village
a flock of several hundred Goldies and similar numbers of Lapwings - no AGP though!
large numbers of commoner wildfowl on the mere
GND at Barton Broad early am
Otters have been seen here regularly of late too... (cheers David!)

having finally settled long-term in Norfolk and got a local UK patch at last, I'm in the process of knocking up an East Norfolk - aPalling birding website. Recent sightings, tides, maps, where to go, status of species in the east norfolk area, weather, eventually moths, dragons and flowers etc... possibly a bit of 'humour' and music too. And the odd overseas jaunt...

Tim

Seven species of raptor today. Not bad on a grey, windy winter's day!
Peregrine at Wolferton
Black-eared Kite and Kestrel at Snettisham
Marsh Harrier at Holkham
Common Buzzard at Flitcham
Sparrowhawk and Hen Harrier at Roydon Common
Sue

SueBryan said:
Peregrine at Wolferton
Marsh Harrier at Holkham
Sue
Not bad at all Sue, I didn't see one!!!

Bet you'll be out early tomorrow for Lesser Yellowlegs!!!!! ;)

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Penny Clarke said:
Not bad at all Sue, I didn't see one!!!

Bet you'll be out early tomorrow for Lesser Yellowlegs!!!!! ;)

Nope! Its NarVOS bird race, starting at 7am in the dark!

Good Birding
Sue

SueBryan said:
Peregrine at Wolferton
Marsh Harrier at Holkham
Sue

4 marsh harriers roosting at dusk at Titchwell this afternoon including the oddly pale marked bird that has been recently been at Cley (photos on the Cley Birds website). Also woodcock feeding to 20ft in front of the Fen Hide but no hen harriers, a male was seen this morning.

Paul

Arrived at what I think was the Catfield beet field at 2.45 monday afternoon just in time to see the last 3 Bewicks disappearing into the sun!
Went to Stubbs Mill to make up for missing them.30 cranes, 17+ Marsh harriers, 1 Harris hawk (mobbed by marshies), 1 Hen harrier, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 kestral and a barn owl plus loads of pink feet and a few brent.
Checked the field again at 5.30 on the way back but no sign of them - looks like they've moved on.

Incidently, anyone managed to catch a view of McNaughton's comet yet?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/12/comet_mcnaught/

Had 89 species on the NarVOS bird race which is a restricted area in Norfolk with only a little bit of coastline near King's Lynn and is mostly centred on Swaffham.
Highlights included 2 Merlins and 2 Peregrines. We also had a few Bewicks at Tottenhill gravel pits. We came 2nd with the winning team having 95 species.
A good day out with great company.
Sue

Birdline: Lesser Yellowlegs still there today at Thornham Habour, also Black eared kite flying west over Thornham at 4pm - presumably back to Snettisham?!!!!

Penny Clarke said:
Birdline: Lesser Yellowlegs still there today at Thornham Habour, also Black eared kite flying west over Thornham at 4pm - presumably back to Snettisham?!!!!
Hi Penny

I saw the Yellowlegs at around 3pm and managed a couple of piccys. The flock of twite were still there too.
Sue

Attachments

• Lesser-Yellowlegs-170107.jpg
    Lesser-Yellowlegs-170107.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
12 Snow Bunts on the beach at Sea Palling on Sunday, and large numbers of Red-throated Divers moving around (min of 40 in the short stretch just north of Sea Palling with many others heading north / south every few minutes)

on way to work on Monday, massive numbers (a few thousand) of Pinks coming from Hickling over Horsey Road and similarly large numbers coming inland and landing around Winterton...

Despite seeing the cranes regularly these days i had wonderful views of five going over Horsey Mere at the weekend. Close, low and in good light... just fantastic!

waiting for the predicted stormy weather to arrive now...

Tim Allwood said:
12 Snow Bunts on the beach at Sea Palling on Sunday, and large numbers of Red-throated Divers moving around (min of 40 in the short stretch just north of Sea Palling with many others heading north / south every few minutes)

on way to work on Monday, massive numbers (a few thousand) of Pinks coming from Hickling over Horsey Road and similarly large numbers coming inland and landing around Winterton...

Despite seeing the cranes regularly these days i had wonderful views of five going over Horsey Mere at the weekend. Close, low and in good light... just fantastic!

waiting for the predicted stormy weather to arrive now...

Hi Tim
The stormy weather is supposed to be followed by really cold weather. As we are in to predictions, what would be your prediction for a really good Norfolk bird to arrive?
Sue

Hi Sue

Well, the norwich boys' rare-ometer is officially under wraps until spring so looking into the crystal ball - with the wind turning more northerly/easterly at long last it'd be nice to think a Steller's Eider might set up shop off Sea Palling, not really in line with any pattern but given the vogue in Norwich to diss the vagrancy shadow model anything is possible (even a Spectacled?)... and it would bring back memories of Jos's place last year! besides Ross's and Ivory Gulls are so passe now... ha ha ha

Might make a pretty penny for OBC flogging tea to the cold birders too...

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Sue

Well, the norwich boys' rare-ometer is officially under wraps until spring so looking into the crystal ball - with the wind turning more northerly/easterly at long last it'd be nice to think a Steller's Eider might set up shop off Sea Palling, not really in line with any pattern but given the vogue in Norwich to diss the vagrancy shadow model anything is possible (even a Spectacled?)... and it would bring back memories of Jos's place last year! besides Ross's and Ivory Gulls are so passe now... ha ha ha

Might make a pretty penny for OBC flogging tea to the cold birders too...

Tim

OOOh let's go for Spectacled Eider! ...........let's hope my new pager arrives before the weekend twitch as my old one had a wet end at Cley Cafe loos
Sue (looking forward to OBC tea (and bacon butties?))

SueBryan said:
Hi Penny

I saw the Yellowlegs at around 3pm and managed a couple of piccys. The flock of twite were still there too.
Sue
Hi Sue

Glad you saw it, lovely picture, I am hoping it will still be there this Saturday so I can take some sunny pictures too!! When I saw it last Saturday it was disgusting weather.

Looking out across the playground from my classroom window over the Sandringham estate in the howling gales, I don't think I have seen pigeons fly as fast as they have done today before. It certainly gave a new meaning to the term 'racing pigeon' !
Sue

zillions of Pinkfeet in the Hemsby / winterton / somerton area this morning, Bean Geese too according to Birdguides (but i didn't see them) & a rough-leg buzzard up Horsey way (but i didn't see that either)

lunchtime / early-afternoon .... c.15 Snow Buntings on caister beach. 50 - 60 gulls by the sealife centre, at least 30 of them being of the Med variety. c15 Turnsstones & 5 sanderling down at south Denes

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Sue

I am hoping it will still be there this Saturday so I can take some sunny pictures too!! When I saw it last Saturday it was disgusting weather.

I'm hoping it will still be there Next Saturday (27th), my fist visit to Norfolk this year. Thankfully, these things seem to stick around for a bit, so fingers crossed.

Does anyone know the latest on the water level situation at Welney? I heard last week (i think) that most of the washes are under nearly 3m of floodwater - is this still the case & are the approach roads passable? (Ususally pop in on the way back in Jan).

Cheers in advance

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back